Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Copyright question  (Read 1301 times)

Shaoni

• Bay Watcher
  • AIDS is good
    • View Profile
Copyright question
« on: November 02, 2011, 11:10:55 am »

I'm very unsure about if I'm posting this in the right section, correct me if I'm not.

Anyways, I'm developing a simple multiplayer game and I'm using a lot of Dwarf Fortress creatures as references, to the point where you can literally see over half of the monsters in DF ingame, correct names and everything. I've been thinking of a name for the game, and thought that since it uses so much dorf-inspired material, it would be awesome to name it "Slaves to Armok: God of Blood, Chapter Z: Royal Rumble" or something of the sort (Using a non-roman character like Z to prevent hitting potential sequels of DF  :P).

It'll be freeware, by the way. So, am I allowed to do this, or must I really think of my own title?! :C
It's an image of a regular beast that they screwed up in a drunken stupor but rather than admit it they claim it's a masterwork forgotten beast.

Urist McArtcritic : "Is that a rabbit? Why does it have 3 eyes and a shell?"
Urist McSculptor : "Nah, that's a, uh... a FORGOTTEN BEAST!"

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Copyright question
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 11:51:34 am »

Well, here's the copyright info that comes with every release:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If it's all freeware, you should be fine. At this point it sounds like you're practically stepping into fangame territory anyway. But you may want to contact Tarn if you're still unsure.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 12:26:02 pm »

I wouldn't use ""Slaves to Armok: God of Blood" In the title, you might confuse some people after all.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Shaoni

• Bay Watcher
  • AIDS is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 12:34:18 pm »

Right, thanks for the replies. I'll just go with it, and if anybody requests it, I'll change it to "The Adventures of the Homeless Antilope". That title is extremely unfitting, so I can only hope...  ::)
It's an image of a regular beast that they screwed up in a drunken stupor but rather than admit it they claim it's a masterwork forgotten beast.

Urist McArtcritic : "Is that a rabbit? Why does it have 3 eyes and a shell?"
Urist McSculptor : "Nah, that's a, uh... a FORGOTTEN BEAST!"