Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: TomeNET - Multiplayer Roguelike  (Read 15979 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
TomeNET - Multiplayer Roguelike
« on: October 16, 2011, 10:30:23 am »

Link: http://tomenet.net

Quite surprised there wasn't a thread on this game yet, it's quite a bit of fun.
It's a roguelike game (seems to be based on Angband) that is multiplayer. It manages to keep the roguelike feel of the game, while allowing players to work together to dive into dungeons together, eventually defeating Morgoth and receiving the title of 'King/Queen'.

Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

The multiplayer aspect of the game is executed quite nicely, using real-time 'turns' in order to allow everyone to keep playing. You still need to be able to react to things without as much planning, but it's slow enough that it's feasible. At lower dungeon levels, time actually slows down completely in order to maintain this reaction time, as monsters at lower levels become faster and faster as you progress.

The game also has a bunch of neat classes, as well. I'm currently playing a mimic, where I can transform into any monster I kill enough times. Quite nice to be able to see that nasty unique monster and be able to turn into a fruit bat to get away. There's a bunch of other features as well, too many for me to list, so I'll just copy them into a spoiler.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've made a party for anyone who wants to join and share experience, so if you want in just post your character's name and I'll add you. I recommend you make your first character an 'everlaster', so that you can share items with the rest of the party..the other option is Normal or Hard, where you will only have three lives before you cannot be revived. (There's also a Hellish one-death mode, too.)

List of Bay12 Characters:
-Quinn (QuinnR) the Goblin Copier
-Vherid (Vherid) the Dark-Elven Vagabond [Not in Party]
-Naxza (Naxza)
-Repalet (Repulsion)
-Sasirk (?) the Dwarven Rookie.

You can type :name:message to anyone in the party and they can add you. :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 09:14:29 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
Re: TomeNET - Multiplayer Roguelike
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 10:39:00 am »

This looks pretty sick

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 10:42:40 am »

Also doesn't work on any operating system and if then only once every 3rd full moon~

Nevermind, that was about another game also called Tome... joining up-.-
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 12:38:30 pm by ThtblovesDF »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 10:43:38 am »

Also doesn't work on any operating system and if then only once every 3rd full moon~
What do you mean? It's been working fine perfectly for me for a few days now.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 12:07:16 pm »

Seen a few new players. Speak up in the thread if you join from here, so I can invite you to the party.

You can also talk to people in the party by pressing ':', and then 'Tab' until the chat bar says 'Party'.

Also, fun story: I walk down a staircase, and literally half a second later by a flashy unique monster that bursted through a door and rushed at me. Killed it fine, but then was mobbed by orcs as I was walking around the level. Had no scrolls of teleportation left, and was murdered. I float up through the ceiling making my way back to the town, when Farmer Maggot's dog sees me and attacks my ghost, bringing my almost halfway dead again before I could float back up the final level to the town. Scared me half to death.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 01:19:58 pm »

So, how is the system with Perma-death?
an "everlaster" makes you immune to it?
Thank you based dwarf.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 01:54:04 pm »

So, how is the system with Perma-death?
an "everlaster" makes you immune to it?
When you create a character you are asked to choose 'Everlaster', 'Normal', or a couple other different difficulty modes. Everlaster means your character only dies if your ghost is murdered. The other ones either have no ghosts or you die permanently after a certain number of revives.

Only other thing that changes is that Everlasters can't use Non-everlaster's items (trade with them) and vice versa.

EDIT: Naxza, if you stay on the level above for a long enough time, you'll get a level feeling on the next level that will tell you if there're any OoD monsters on the level, so you can just go back up and go down again later.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 02:02:51 pm by quinnr »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 02:37:38 pm »

I bought a house for anyone in the party! It's only 2x1 squares, but we can use it to drop items in. Anyone in the same party as myself can enter, it's just northeast of Bree..the door should be a different color to show you can enter.

Aye, I knew that, but I reached a point where I really needed resistances and those are hard to come by on a monk character, coupled with death taking some twenty minutes to recoup the exp from...

Mostly I think I was just playing poorly since I wasn't too into roguelikes back then. Downloaded now, on in a sec.

NOTE TO ANYONE WHO DECIDES TO TRY THIS- Turn Numlock off and then use shift + numbers to start running. I played the first few hours without knowing about this and hot dang, it was slooooow.

Shift + Direction only works if it is both light (or torchlit) and no monsters are in sight. But good tip. You can also turn on roguelike style VI keys by pressing =-1-y-ESC

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 04:16:00 pm »

Got into this, my character is named Repalet.

I assume that I will meet up with some of you guys soon enough.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 04:36:34 pm »

I'm not too hot for the idea of multiplayer (and I somewhat suspect if it's built around multiplayer, then the deep dungeon is balanced around multiple players), but I'll try it out just for a change of pace from other roguelikes.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 06:23:13 pm »

I'm not too hot for the idea of multiplayer (and I somewhat suspect if it's built around multiplayer, then the deep dungeon is balanced around multiple players), but I'll try it out just for a change of pace from other roguelikes.

Not sure how the rest of the dungeon is, but I know the final boss is scaled to the number of players present, so perhaps something like that is done for the later dungeon? I haven't had too much trouble going it alone so far, I'm up to about level 15 right now. It's definitely easier with others to help, though.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 06:38:17 pm »

Alright im stepping on right now, same name

Game has a very interesting interface.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 06:56:19 pm by Vherid »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 08:49:55 pm »

4 people in the Bay12 party now, and one non-everlaster playing too.
Doing pretty well so far, up to level 15, mostly just wasted time this afternoon, walking all the way to Gondolin in my spider form to see what it was like.

Answer: It was flooded with novice Paladins that hate spiders. -shudder-
I think I'll make a list of players in the first post.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 08:58:01 pm »

I could play. I've played TomeNET before, so I know basics and such. (I'll still need direction.)

I prefer ranged classes.

You may see me on as Nighthawk, once I re-download the game.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 08:59:12 pm »

Looks very interesting, downloading now.

Ok, I created a new account and such, but the game crashed on me and now I can't log in. I do not have a character created yet.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 09:04:42 pm by hitty40 »
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.
Pages: [1] 2 3