Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any Zombie RTS's?  (Read 32832 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Any Zombie RTS's?
« on: October 16, 2011, 03:52:41 pm »

I've been wondering, how many real-time strategy games are there of zombies? I know there's Rebuild and all that, but what about real-time? I'd be fine with playing as the humans or the zombies  :)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Any Zombie RTS's?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 03:53:22 pm »

Project Zomboid...but buy at your own risk right now.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 04:04:50 pm »

Zomboid isn't an RTS :P Third Person RPG.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 04:06:02 pm »

There's hardly enough difference to qualify. If Zomboid had base building, we'd be calling it a zombie RTS with RPG features.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 04:07:05 pm »

Atomic Zombies Smasher. Retro-futuristic (60s future, which is rare) zombocalypse sim set in Latin America. You try to evacuate civilians and/or kill the zombies with a small number of units you get. Pretty fun, but costs money. review
Shattered Colony. gather resources and survivors, build towers, kill zombies. Free. And not a tower defense game, those you can find on your own.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 04:09:02 pm »

If Zomboid had base building, we'd be calling it a zombie RTS with RPG features.
Can you get more units? Is the emphasis on character "development" or on resource gathering?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 04:13:13 pm »

If Zomboid had base building, we'd be calling it a zombie RTS with RPG features.
Can you get more units? Is the emphasis on character "development" or on resource gathering?

You will only play yourself. But there is a lot of "resource gathering" in the sense you need food, ammo, materials to barricade your home, and a lot of other sundries like medication, pain killers, sheets to make into bandages, and all sorts of combined item creation stuff I never got around to. PZ isn't a game about living though, it's a game about dying, so if you're looking for a game that will let you comfortably turtle up....this isn't one of them.

I suppose you could try Fort Zombie too, but if I'm stretching to describe PZ as an RTS....and I'm tearing myself in two to call Fort Zombie an RTS.

I can't think of a zombie game off the top of my head that is literally a blend of Zombies and Command & Conquer. I'm not sure it's been made yet :P AZM to me was more like an arcade game gone mad.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 04:42:05 pm by nenjin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 04:23:29 pm »

Closest I can remember seeing is Attack of the Paper zombies, though it's more RTT than RTS.

There's also a few fantasy-RTS games that have undead factions, but most of those aren't really 'zombie' like (i.e. lots and lots and lots of them :P). Of those, the closest to it I've personally played is Heroes of Annihilated Empires.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 04:26:26 pm »

http://armorgames.com/play/12389/rebuild-2

This is pretty good, it doesn't feature base building, but you gather "places" by clearing out zombies, recruiting survivors, and using builders to push them into your place.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 04:31:35 pm »

http://armorgames.com/play/12389/rebuild-2

This is pretty good, it doesn't feature base building, but you gather "places" by clearing out zombies, recruiting survivors, and using builders to push them into your place.

I've been wondering, how many real-time strategy games are there of zombies? I know there's Rebuild and all that, but what about real-time? I'd be fine with playing as the humans or the zombies  :)

Sorry bro, that's turn based  :)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 04:35:04 pm »

Derp I just remembered the existence of Atom Zombie Smasher. It's kind of an RTS! There's not really any base building but otherwise it's very RTS-y.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 04:51:41 pm »

You will only play yourself. But there is a lot of "resource gathering" in the sense you need food, ammo, materials to barricade your home, and a lot of other sundries like medication, pain killers, sheets to make into bandages, and all sorts of combined item creation stuff I never got around to. PZ isn't a game about living though, it's a game about dying, so if you're looking for a game that will let you comfortably turtle up....this isn't one of them.
So... real time Cataclysm with graphics? That's an pretty much a survival-RPG (Unreal World and Robinson's Requiem are good non-zombie examples of the genre).

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 04:56:57 pm »

Derp I just remembered the existence of Atom Zombie Smasher. It's kind of an RTS! There's not really any base building but otherwise it's very RTS-y.
I'm fine with no base-building. It seems fun, I'll look at it.  :)

So... real time Cataclysm with graphics? That's an pretty much a survival-RPG (Unreal World and Robinson's Requiem are good non-zombie examples of the genre).
Correct. Zomboid is a survival RPG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 06:39:25 pm »

Do so; I got it when it was in the HIB and regret nothing. Although it is honestly more of a TD game than RTS, as snipers are restricted to moving around the rooftop where you placed them, arty is immobile once placed, infantry can only move on streets and parks, and everything else apart from the evac heli falls under static defenses (mines, barriers, etc.). Still very fun though, and the concept is well executed.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 10:00:36 am »

Do so; I got it when it was in the HIB and regret nothing. Although it is honestly more of a TD game than RTS, as snipers are restricted to moving around the rooftop where you placed them, arty is immobile once placed, infantry can only move on streets and parks, and everything else apart from the evac heli falls under static defenses (mines, barriers, etc.). Still very fun though, and the concept is well executed.
Played that demo, it was quite fun. I may or may not get it, I'll look into the modding community next  ;D
Pages: [1] 2