Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hello all  (Read 2129 times)

Starhero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hello all
« on: October 15, 2011, 06:35:50 am »

After weeks of creeping on the forums I am finally saying hello to the community.

I heard about DF on and off for quite sometime, saw the ASCII and ran...Then I found LNP and Iron-hands texture pack....and became addicted.

Currently on my 3rd..4th? fort with EVERYTHING on BUT raiding as it seems to generate TOO much !!FUN!! for me still...

I will be turning that on later.

While you are here, could you answer something for me...What purpose does temperature have in the game besides freezing my brook? Reason I as is that I am sitting on a quad core CPU that seems to NOT like it being on as I drop to average 24 - 30 FPS with about 150 dwarfs...and really would like my CPU back :P

I can DEFINITELY see that added challenge it adds as I am finally adding the finishing touches on my pump stack for the water deep in the ground just for the winter and for saving dwarf lives.

Again hello all....and....DON'T EAT ME just cuz I am a tasty n00b. :P

(PS Toady! Email me back plox)
Dwarf Fortress, a great game with an even better community!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Hello all
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 06:43:31 am »

Temperature is what makes dwarves explode from frostbite.
Temperature is what makes magma hot.
Temperature is what makes dwarves drown and be encased in ice.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Starhero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 06:55:28 am »

Ah so i take it magma forges won't work with out it? if so...screw turning it off...my entire quest is to find magma!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 07:04:57 am »

Magma forges will work without temperature.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 07:16:47 am »

Ah so i take it magma forges won't work with out it? if so...screw turning it off...my entire quest is to find magma!

Nah, you can still use magma to produce stuff. But don't get surprised when you discover that your dwarves are leisurely swimming in molten rock without getting any burns.

And, welcome to the forums. Soon enough, you will learn to hate cats, plot the death of your nobles, perform insane feats of construction and kill the tree-hugging elves.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Starhero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 08:38:37 am »

Nah, you can still use magma to produce stuff. But don't get surprised when you discover that your dwarves are leisurely swimming in molten rock without getting any burns.

And, welcome to the forums. Soon enough, you will learn to hate cats, plot the death of your nobles, perform insane feats of construction and kill the tree-hugging elves.
[/quote]

Oh yeah I slaughter all animals, I figure when I need them, I'll buy them.

Elves seem to either honor the raiding option being off, or are bugged...I know I know, I am ruining my !!FUN!! with raiding off, but had to learn somehow with out dieing with in the first year or 2.

Ideas have been thought of on what I want to make, but no where close to making it (castle made out of PURE GOLD! :D

Right now i am just working on my water system, then i think i am gonna give my dwarfs sewage and in house plumping!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 09:35:44 am »

Oh yeah I slaughter all animals, I figure when I need them, I'll buy them.

Elves seem to either honor the raiding option being off, or are bugged...I know I know, I am ruining my !!FUN!! with raiding off, but had to learn somehow with out dieing with in the first year or 2.

Ideas have been thought of on what I want to make, but no where close to making it (castle made out of PURE GOLD! :D

Right now i am just working on my water system, then i think i am gonna give my dwarfs sewage and in house plumping!

It's actually better to keep a breeding pair of animals, just in case a dwarf might get moods and ask for leather, bone and whatever. Saltwater crocodiles are really nice pets to have, as they are non grazers, they lay incredibly large egg clutches, and they can usually handle themselves in a fight, usually mangling a foe before the crocodile dies. They are also large creatures, which means more bones, meat and a piece of leather per butcher.

And a crafty person can use pets as part of drawbridge traps, allowing you to kill large amounts of enemies in the most efficient way, when it comes to resources.

If you're still learning DF, I'd recommend you turn the raids on when you get comfortable handling the fortress management job. Spending about a year trying to flood a farm is a bad thing when next year, you've got ambushes and sieges waiting for you.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 10:46:34 am »

30FPS with 150 dorfs is not a bad thing, actually. DF only uses one core, however.

Besides, temperature and invasions are Fun.

Welcome to the forums, by the way.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 01:00:21 pm »

Greetings from the King.

I didn't do it personally, but i don't see much problem with having sieges off while you get a handle on things. Just don't forget to learn about that sprawling mass of text that is the military screen.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 03:02:09 pm »

I find that vanilla doesn't use temp all that much, but some mods use it extensivly.

Like arrows that explode inside goblins, or molten iron blood.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 03:40:34 pm »

Mind you, if they do that and don't clean off afterwards, fun will start occurring if you turn the temperature back on...
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 02:33:33 pm »

Also, "swimming" is a pretty generous term for most dwarves.

Welcome to the forum!