Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Selective Breeding  (Read 6567 times)

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Selective Breeding
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 05:47:42 pm »

fastist way to make any changes is to pick two males as studs and kill the rest.

females are need for breeding, so a poor breeder can be of use.
Doesn'twork for dwarves though, because dwarves pair off.

Hmm... well... if I could make a self-sustaining fort and turn all the notifications off, perhaps I could just run a 2x2 embark for a few hundred years by just leaving the computer on, and just stop in now and then to kill off all the tallest dwarves XD
Unless you want to engage in excess killing, it should be sufficient to just kill married dwarves with undesirable traits. Unmarried dwarves don't reproduce anyway, so you can use their labor.

I would suggest killing only half of the married couple. To my knowledge dwarves wed for life, so you would be able to maintain a stock of skilled laborers without worrying about them mucking up the experiment.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 06:22:14 pm »

I'm trying to do this with leopards and honey badgers now, will let you know in a few generations.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 09:32:07 pm »

I'm trying to do this with leopards and honey badgers now, will let you know in a few generations.
This is what I imagine to happen a few generations later:
Urist McPesimist: I'm telling you this is a crime against Armok.
Urist McBreeder: And I'm telling you that if the king dosn't get his honey jaguar bone beermugs we're all going strait to the mines!!!!
Urist McFreeman:(Somtimes I wonder if these science dwarves are really some sort of smart collosi....)
Urist McBreeder: We've been wating for you McFreeman, to the test chamber
Urist McBreeder: Okay Urist McFreeman all you have to do is remove the gender seperation baricade so we can extract the Honey Jaguar Bones
Urist McFreeman:(Stupid Scientist ordering me around........)
Urist McBreeder: Be carful Freeman this is the largest specimen we have and if you screw up.........
Urist McPessimist: NOTHING WILL GO WRONG...I assure you McFreeman.....anyway were dropping the key down now, simply put it on the pressure pad and will handle it from there
Urist McFreeman: (I should have been born with a tail, I love rhesus macaques for there tails…)
Urist Mc Pessimist: McFreeman, are you listening? Grab the key and place it on the pad
*Urist McFreeman: (Sheesh hold your horses…you know what you are going on my enemy list…when I get around to making one…)
Urist McFreeman: Places the key on the pad
Urist McPessimest: WHAT ARE YOU DOING…errr…nothing you need to concern yourself about Freeman. Starting Honey Jaguar extraction in 3.…2.…..*crash* followed by snarling* OH NO…..Freeman get away from the extraction point
(Several Honey Jaguars fall through a whole in the ceiling and crash to the ground…..)
Urist McFreeman: Oh Armok why!!!? Why did we do this, why couldn’t we just mod the raws like normal people……we’re horribly people*flees to the gate*
Let me in!!!!!!!
Urist McFreeman walks into a room with to dead and mauled dwarven scientists sprawled out against the floor....
And so began  The Black Fortress Incident      
Dorf Life
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 09:23:46 am by UltraValican »
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 09:10:42 am »

I approve of the above post.

In similar news I was doing this recently with my dog population.  Getting rid of the fat ones and the non muscular or small ones.  I told a friend what I was doing and I was told that I'm puppy Hitler.

...After that I spent a little bit of time trying to figure out a method to get all the lesser puppies into a chamber for 'showers'....magma 'showers'.    I'm going to hell aren't I?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 02:10:54 pm »

I'm going to hell aren't I?
Well, I routinely create and destroy entire worlds on a whim, so there's a bit of a sliding scale of morality at work here. 

What exactly are the attributes that can be passed on?  So far we have modifiers to stats, and I think coloration of tissues.  Anything else? 
where is up?

BronzeElemental

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2011, 03:24:53 pm »

Race, so far my dwarves have only ever given birth to dwarves.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011, 05:16:27 pm »

At the risk of heresy, I wonder if it's possible to make dwarves give birth to elves.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 09:10:02 pm »

At the risk of heresy, I wonder if it's possible to make dwarves give birth to elves.
It's not. You might be able to make them lay eggs that are elves though, if you mod elves to be vermin.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 10:00:38 pm »

You can make dwarves give birth to elves.  If you make dwarves and elves separate castes of the same creature, you'll get a race that is a combination of both dwarves and elves, and which children they have will be totally independent of the parents; basically, dwarven couples could have elven children.  They will, however, all act exactly the same and treat each other as the same race, as except for the physical makeup the game will treat them as the same creature type.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

BronzeElemental

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2011, 10:28:31 pm »

A dwarf giving birth to an elf is definately one of the signs of the end times.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2011, 11:21:49 pm »

You can make dwarves give birth to elves.  If you make dwarves and elves separate castes of the same creature, you'll get a race that is a combination of both dwarves and elves, and which children they have will be totally independent of the parents; basically, dwarven couples could have elven children.  They will, however, all act exactly the same and treat each other as the same race, as except for the physical makeup the game will treat them as the same creature type.
That's cheating though, it's not really dwarves having elf kids, it's just one thing that's dwarves and elves both.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2011, 12:30:07 am »

Hmm... well... if I could make a self-sustaining fort and turn all the notifications off, perhaps I could just run a 2x2 embark for a few hundred years by just leaving the computer on, and just stop in now and then to kill off all the tallest dwarves XD
You could lower the maximum age, time spent in childhood, and perhaps increase litter size. You might want to seal the fort to avoid migrants brining new and unwanted traits. You could even manually filter new migrants to only let certain traits through.

In one of the DF Talk episodes Toady mentions that the dwarves should get suspicious if all dwarves with certain traits get killed in accidents. Perhaps in the future they might respond to this kind of thing more directly.

Hrm, are you suggesting that Toady implement the Dwarves monitoring the player for patterns that might be detrimental to their own continued existence?  That's... difficult to contemplate.  The things going through my head right now are pretty funny.  Wouldn't want to try to code it though.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2011, 04:04:34 pm »

You could lower the maximum age, time spent in childhood, and perhaps increase litter size. You might want to seal the fort to avoid migrants brining new and unwanted traits. You could even manually filter new migrants to only let certain traits through.

In one of the DF Talk episodes Toady mentions that the dwarves should get suspicious if all dwarves with certain traits get killed in accidents. Perhaps in the future they might respond to this kind of thing more directly.

Hrm, are you suggesting that Toady implement the Dwarves monitoring the player for patterns that might be detrimental to their own continued existence?  That's... difficult to contemplate.  The things going through my head right now are pretty funny.  Wouldn't want to try to code it though.

Player: Alright time to pull the lever on project f*** the world 2:Magma Boogaloo
*Player orders lever to be pulled*
Urist McDorf cancels pull lever: We can't let you do that Mr/MS Player
Player: What!? I can't move.....no......no....don't...kill me Urist...remember that gold plated dinining room....that was me...no..NOOOOOOOOOOOO....
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?
Pages: 1 [2]