Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Couple of gameplay questions  (Read 1042 times)

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
Couple of gameplay questions
« on: October 18, 2011, 11:38:12 am »

1. How do I make a stockpile of specific bones?
I did make a custom one (forbade it for the bones of EVERY SINGLE CREATURE IN THE GAME exept the ones I want). The problem is getting the bones from the butchers' shops (which are way outside the fortress) to the stockpile (inside). How to do that?

2. Marksdwarves (okay, Marksponies...) and hunting.
How to make them hunt again? I removed all uniform designations, designated different bolts (metal for war, bone for hunting) and even made a new set of xbows and quivers. They still won't hunt. The labor is enabled, there are animals on the map.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Couple of gameplay questions
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 11:52:45 am »

1. How do I make a stockpile of specific bones?
I did make a custom one (forbade it for the bones of EVERY SINGLE CREATURE IN THE GAME exept the ones I want). The problem is getting the bones from the butchers' shops (which are way outside the fortress) to the stockpile (inside). How to do that?

Did you enable gathering of refuse from outside?  Press (o) for the orders screen, (r) for refuse, (o) to enable gathering of refuse from outside.

2. Marksdwarves (okay, Marksponies...) and hunting.
How to make them hunt again? I removed all uniform designations, designated different bolts (metal for war, bone for hunting) and even made a new set of xbows and quivers. They still won't hunt. The labor is enabled, there are animals on the map.

I have not had this problem.  Try removing them from the military completely and see if that helps.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 11:58:26 am »

Did you enable gathering of refuse from outside?  Press (o) for the orders screen, (r) for refuse, (o) to enable gathering of refuse from outside.

Helped, thanks.

Try removing them from the military completely and see if that helps.

Kinda wanted to avoid that... well, I guess they won't be too hard to find, I'll do it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 01:15:14 pm »

Might also have to disable those bones in the butcher's stockpile.  I've never had a lot of success juggling stockpile stuff like this, so I'm not sure.

For the marksponies, I haven't ever had that problem either.  My militia commander is a hunter and in a markspony squad and he seems to do both reasonably well.  It could have something to do with your bolts, do you ever get warnings about having no ammo?  Try letting hunters and military use all bolts and see if it helps.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 01:28:23 pm »

Also, check to see if your hunters have quivers full of metal bolts.  If their quivers are full of metal bolts, and you've set them to only use bone bolts for hunting, they will not remove the metal bolts and pick up bone ones.  They'll just sit around wishing they had somewhere they could carry bone bolts, and not doing anything.  You'll need to convince them to drop the metal bolts, or drop the full quivers and pick up empty ones.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.