Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: meeting halls? stables?  (Read 5816 times)

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
meeting halls? stables?
« on: August 12, 2006, 04:21:00 pm »

not certain if it's meeting halls or if it's just tables & wells

for some reason, horse, mules and other tame animals keep crowding into that area (unassigned) - a biggish room with multiple wells/tables.. set dining room/meeting hall area with a central(ish) table

btw... room area selection keeps spilling out of the doors.

JimmyJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: meeting halls? stables?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 05:34:00 pm »

quote:
  btw... room area selection keeps spilling out of the doors.  

I am getting that problem too..

et out of my signiture!!!!!!!!!!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 05:38:00 pm »

Concerning the selection spill, make sure your doors are at default settings while making the room. Check the help about door menus to see which setting is responsible for that. And make sure your dwarves have already brought the door and that it's not just a plan.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 05:55:00 pm »

For the pets, I think animals will just mill around in meeting halls where regular people are.  You can place and assign them to cages if they irritate you.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 01:11:00 am »

default? as in doors ajar (rather than closed)?

the doors are built & not blocked alright... i guess i should try leaving them as external.

what's the difference between external and internal?

cages... is that cages on its own.. or cages put on top of an animal pile?

ta

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 01:18:00 am »

That's the problem right there: internal means the door is a part of the current "room", while external means that a room ends at that door.

For instance, you can give someone a three-room "bedroom" by setting the doors in the middle to "internal" and setting the one leading to the hallway to "external".  The zones will spill over all the internal doors but stop at the external door.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 01:20:00 am »

Door Settings Explained:

Locked/Unlocked
When locked, dwarves may not use this door.

Ajar/Closed Tightly
When closed tightly, animals may not use this door.

Internal/External
Internal doors do not end room boundaries, while external doors do.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 01:23:00 am »

ah ha! that cleared something up!. thanks.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 01:42:00 am »

It also bears mentioning that a tightly closed door will not allow miasma to pass through.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 02:37:00 am »

Yeah, that all looks correct -- the new door interface should reflect these things when it goes up tomorrowish.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 11:35:00 am »

i read something about marriage/kids somewhere. (nowhere near it as i'm playing this on a PII 300... takes hours to get through a season..)

will they need separate bedrooms / multiple beds in the same room / multiple room suites assigned to 1 person as mentioned above? how close do the rooms have to be?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 11:41:00 am »

One room is fine for couples, unless they are nobles.  They'll use the same bed.  You can cover the screen with your hand when they are sleeping if it is too graphic!  The child will want a separate room, assuming you don't just throw it in a large bed-filled chamber.

300?  Intense.  I'm glad it runs and...  well, hopefully whatever new stuff doesn't make it much slower.

Beowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 11:54:00 am »

I'm running it on a PIII 500 and thought I may very well be the lowest-end dude.   :roll:
I feel with you.
warf mode exists for giving you a break from and to supply sites and stuff for Adventure mode!

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 12:05:00 pm »

speedwise i feel the "worst" thing so far is world creation... given the way i keep restarting. which is why yesterday (or the day before) i backed up a copy of a virgin region.

there are periodic slowdowns (not sure why actually... too many things to choose to do at the same time?)

btw, is full screen mode meant to be faster than windowed mode? i prefer being able to read/etc whilst having the dwarves running around in the background (scrolled game screen to an unexplored area XD)

anyway.. how much faster do "normal" machines nowadays run this game? a year/hr or couple of hours?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 12:05:00 pm »

There's also a 400'er out there that runs world gen over an hour and a half while watching TV.  So, you are like top-line.

edit:  I'm also curious about how fast people are running.

The lags in world gen are mainly associated to some river and lake issues, and I could put some additional counters there.  I'd also like to add a small world option sooner rather than later to alleviate some of the strain, since a 129x129 or even 65x65 would be enough compared to the current 257x257.  I've adventured in the same little 10x10 patch of dirt for days.

[ August 13, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

Pages: [1] 2