Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Urge to wipe out the human race: Rising  (Read 10960 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Urge to wipe out the human race: Rising
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2011, 07:30:36 pm »

You know, I'm suddenly struck by the question of whether anybody would have helped if it had been a little boy rather than a little girl.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2011, 07:37:09 pm »

You're assuming they were able to tell, or bothered to do so
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2011, 01:48:57 am »

When I visited Beijiing a few years back our official "tour guide" told us that we under no circumstances should stop and help if we saw an accident or even report it, just get the hell away from the scene. Chances were we would get in serious trouble with the police if we tried to do anything. I'm not sure if this was because we were foreigners or what.

We actually did see a car accident later the same day. Don't think there were any injuries, but we were shooed away quickly.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2011, 10:51:26 am »

Jeez that's just sickening, those images will be burned in my eyes for several days to come.
I mean the actual scene was horrid, in a way understandable but by no means excusable, but what really bugs me is, for whatever reason, people there believe not helping one in need is perfectly normal and acceptable?!
I mean I don't know how far democracy goes over there so I can't tell if this mentality is a general consensus or not, but this really sickens me. I hate to generalize an entire culture but I didn't think it was humanly possible to have such a lack of morality, any society that believes this is acceptable and condone this should be deeply ashamed.
Just completely and utterly rediculous, how can people be so selfish, both for ignoring the child in this particular case, and snatching every bit of money out of someone who would help. Pah!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2011, 11:18:04 am »

And this is what I figured the discussion would devolve into..."CHINESE IZ TEH EVAL!"

It's complicated. As I said, I am in no way surprised that this could happen in China. And at the same time, this is not at all typical or representative of China. I really don't know how to explain it, I wish I did. China has some major problems, and social isolation and the dehumanizing effect of urbanization is one of them. It's counterintuitive unless you've lived in a truly large city, but when you live in a metro area with a population larger than many countries (the greater Shanghai metro is over 80 million people and it's the only place I've ever been where I felt physically ill just from the SIZE of it), you wind up more isolated and alone than you could possibly imagine.

The Japanese have understood this for some time. And now China is on the verge of becoming the sort of brutalist, hi-tech dystopia that the cyberpunk genre predicted for Japan. Plus as some have alluded to, China is not known for being amenable for people trying to do the right thing. For those folks who have watched some of my Livestreams, you'll remember the Chinese legal system as it's presented in the movies -- the judge just wants to be done with the case so he's not all that interested in finding out the truth, and the standard procedure was to torture both defendant *and* plaintiff. Because justice wasn't about fairness, it was about "restoring harmony". It's like the parent who intercedes in a fight between siblings by punishing both of them. Because they don't care who started it, they're just pissed that you couldn't work this out on your own.  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2011, 12:26:59 pm »

Instead of wiping out the human race, I think a far crueler punishment would be to make them immortal, but never heal from their wounds, yet still feel pain, and continue living no matter what injury befalls them (even fatal ones). Considering the average injury or injuries an human being acquires on a daily basis (the most mundane to a small cut/graze from a corner or walking on rough surfaces, or a bruise from walking into something), and the fact that such pain would stack overtime; have fun "insensitive" immortals. Even in a week or few, you'll be living in eternal misery for the rest of your life; which you can't end either, and suicide would only make it worse since you can never actually/entirely die. Severing limbs won't make things any easier (to sever a connection to a bigger collection of accumulated pain) either since you'll have the cut point as a constant pain point (and receiver since it's freshly sensitive after exposure as well) as well.

Oh, and as a contingency plan, the brain can also feel pain now; just in case you intend to cut off your pain receptors or motor nerve clusters.

Man, considering such a punishment, death is actually a blessing or an act of mercy, by comparison.

Back on topic, yeah; What the hell, Humanity? (And I'm one to talk, with that punishment above. :\ )

EDIT:
[derail]
This is kinda why nothing scares me or shocks me anymore. Horror movies only bother me, rather than entertain or scare me (unless it's an actually good one like The Thing (original and James Cameron)). I mean, on this tangent, if I were in a horror movie, I would know the quickest and most efective/efficient way of out-pacing the bad guy, and actually taking his place (by being more legitimately terrifying than them) until they learn their lesson. And that's when I'm being merciful. Without mercy, I would invoke the example above by request to God (or my own means) whether I get offed by the bad guy or not, and maybe come back as a zombie as well to add to the fear factor if I were offed.

[/derail]

EDIT EDIT:
Sorry, rapid-editing again. ;D

Other things I would be doing if not merciful... well, just look at the many many things I listed in the Bay-12ers Not Allowed to do in RPGs thread. I define Complete Monster there, and even I admit it. I mean, in case I ever do go to Hell (God forbid), I have a few acres reserved for a nice little cottage and demon-cattle ranching or something. Or at least, a broodwich deli-ingredient provider.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 12:53:24 pm by Itnetlolor »

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2011, 12:47:44 pm »

Instead of wiping out the human race, I think a far crueler punishment would be to make them immortal, but never heal from their wounds, yet still feel pain, and continue living no matter what injury befalls them (even fatal ones). Considering the average injury or injuries an human being acquires on a daily basis (the most mundane to a small cut/graze from a corner or walking on rough surfaces, or a bruise from walking into something), and the fact that such pain would stack overtime; have fun "insensitive" immortals. Even in a week or few, you'll be living in eternal misery for the rest of your life; which you can't end either, and suicide would only make it worse since you can never actually/entirely die. Severing limbs won't make things any easier (to sever a connection to a bigger collection of accumulated pain) either since you'll have the cut point as a constant pain point (and receiver since it's freshly sensitive after exposure as well) as well.

Oh, and as a contingency plan, the brain can also feel pain now; just in case you intend to cut off your pain receptors or motor nerve clusters.

Man, considering such a punishment, death is actually a blessing or an act of mercy, by comparison.

Back on topic, yeah; What the hell, Humanity? (And I'm one to talk, with that punishment above. :\ )

This is kinda why nothing scares me or shocks me anymore. Horror movies only bother me, rather than entertain or scare me (unless it's an actually good one like The Thing (original and James Cameron)). I mean, on this tangent, if I were in a horror movie, I would know the quickest and most efective/efficient way of out-pacing the bad guy, and actually taking his place (by being more legitimately terrifying than them) until they learn their lesson
See: Overdose of painmedication (rendering unconscious), then prompt incineration. Problem solved  :P

This is kinda why nothing scares me or shocks me anymore. Horror movies only bother me, rather than entertain or scare me (unless it's an actually good one like The Thing (original and James Cameron)). I mean, on this tangent, if I were in a horror movie, I would know the quickest and most efective/efficient way of out-pacing the bad guy, and actually taking his place (by being more legitimately terrifying than them) until they learn their lesson
I'd do the same thing. Grab my ol' rusty hatchet, couple knives, and ignore the gun safe. Hell, why not throw together a couple 'nades from the cleaning closet!

See: Make landmines out of bleach, then immolate the antagonist  :P

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2011, 12:55:23 pm »

Have Itnetlolor and Necro910 been watching Torchwood perchance?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2011, 12:57:33 pm »

Not really, I thought that up. But I would imagine you're referencing Captain Jack Harkness, and how he can't die?

Actually, I had that punishment idea in mind for a fairly good amount of time (during my darker days, just about when I lost faith in almost all of mankind).

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2011, 01:00:40 pm »

Not really, I thought that up. But I would imagine you're referencing Captain Jack Harkness, and how he can't die?

Actually, I had that punishment idea in mind for a fairly good amount of time (during my darker days, just about when I lost faith in almost all of mankind).

Watch Miracle Day (the fourth series.)  Everyone becomes immortal.  And they don't heal like Jack normally does.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2011, 01:01:19 pm »

Bay12 Users: More disturbing than China.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2011, 01:01:38 pm »

Well, a human life is more important than my economic welfare.

I don't believe anyone saying this for one second. There are a bunch of children in Somalia starving right now, and since you possess a computer and electricity (and most likely well fed), I'm going to assume you haven't given away your economic welfare.

It's always so easy to criticize people from the distance, but we can't really know what we'd do if we were living in their shoes.

"A bunch of teenagers are kicking one laying on the ground, and the crowd does nothing!"; I bet we've all heard this one a million times.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2011, 01:04:05 pm »

"A bunch of teenagers are kicking one laying on the ground, and the crowd does nothing!"; I bet we've all heard this one a million times.

Yup.  Seen it a few times too.  Most of them have ended with me also getting my ass kicked when I try to help.  Which was worth t.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2011, 01:10:03 pm »

Watch Miracle Day (the fourth series.)  Everyone becomes immortal.  And they don't heal like Jack normally does.
Forgot about that. Didn't realize that was what was going on.

Bay12 Users: More disturbing than China.
That sounds sig-worthy.

Yup.  Seen it a few times too.  Most of them have ended with me also getting my ass kicked when I try to help.  Which was worth t.
I can recall a moment or 2 (most recent incident being at a tavern) where I was on the ass-end of an ass-kicking, and although they outnumbered the person/people attacking me, nobody (especially that I knew that also claimed to "back me up if anyone messes with me") bothered to help. They didn't pull the guy(s) away from me; no, their method of "helping" was to keep telling the person swinging and kicking away to "Stop that.". No exclamation either. It would only be fridge brilliance if they knew what I was capable of, and were warning them that if I actually do fight back, I might accidentally kill them in a single swing/hit.

That is until I actually bothered to put some effort (mostly out of annoyance of my nearby "companions") into getting out of the beatdown and much like you see in an anime or comic, threw my attackers out of range by getting up. It gets funny when I receive a barrage of violent threats, and my only response is "Is that all? Are you finished?" and walk away without any sign of pain or care; adding to it, I'm never bothered again for the rest of the night (and the offending party most likely getting kicked out by the late bouncers). At least I can win a fight without needing to fight. Of course, with a severe drop in respect towards my so-called "buddies" or associates.

EDIT:
With the crowd I was hanging out with, my attacker was outmatched/numbered 3:1. I didn't expect to be the one pulling the 3. The group I was with was useless, and we hung out at least a good half-hour or so before the incident too; and I think I even put out a vulnerable/harmless/defenseless vibe. What a shocker it must've been to see that I can actually take both a beating and hold my ground entirely on my own. That's a lifetime of bullying for ya. I'm a tank without looking the part.

Plus, if I saw a buddy of mine being attacked, or any general bystander; I would assess the situation, find the best course of action (verbal or non) and if one won't work, then try the other. Plus, it helps to know a few pressure points. There's a certain trick to putting your knee on the lower back of someone that disables their legs for a moment or 2. My brother used to do that to me years ago, and it was annoying as hell; mostly because you collapse without any control over it, and completely lose the function in your legs for about 5 seconds (took a good while for me to learn how to counter it; but only because it happened so many freaking times, and I learned exactly where the pressure point was and how to hit and guard it). However, it works, and would be the last thing most people would expect; especially when breaking up a fight. Much easier to pull off when you also pinch the pressure points along the shoulders to further slow them down by stopping blood flow to their arms and shutting those down as well for a couple seconds.

"Sorry, did your legs accidentally shutdown for a few seconds?"
* Bad Guy collapses to the ground and is quickly subdued during their confusion.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 01:32:15 pm by Itnetlolor »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2011, 01:17:33 pm »

To be fair to them, I generally wouldn't get involved in a fight between two people either.  At least that's fair, unless one person is severely outmatched or someone pulls out a weapon/doesn't stop when their opponent goes down.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5