Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Glitch  (Read 5413 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Glitch
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 12:10:47 pm »

Looks too facebook-ey for my liking. The rook attack was an interesting thing, though. May keep an eye on this, at least.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 12:57:35 pm »

It does look extremely Zynga-ish, and that has nothing to do with the graphics.

Look at the top bar. It's typical Zynga structure: identical minimal settings cluster, money you get in-game (with an increase-with-real-money button below), special points you buy with actual money, score progress bar to next level. The lower interface doesn't do much to dispel the idea, either. And the Randomize All Items button looks suspiciously Facebook-like.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 01:22:39 pm »

"Connect via Facebook!"

Yeah... I don't think so.

I wasn't referring specifically to the art style, although that is part of it. The mechanics I saw in the video just screamed "Annoy Ask your friends for help and spend money to do things faster!"
Neither of those things exist in this game in any form. I mean, I guess you could actively annoy your friends if you really really wanted to but there's no mechanic in the game for it, and there is nothing you can spend money on besides cosmetic items for your avatar and teleport tokens (which only save you some of your in-game gold or a few minutes tops)

That's because you're in the beta. Trust me when I say that after the beta, this will have microtransactions up the wazoo.

EDIT: Good lord. That gameplay.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 01:29:30 pm by RF »

Trappin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 04:03:59 pm »

Very slick promo video with catchy marketing jingle. Had to cost at least ten+ grand just to produce the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6O5QXj6n18

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 04:34:10 pm »

Look at the top bar. It's typical Zynga structure: identical minimal settings cluster, money you get in-game (with an increase-with-real-money button below), special points you buy with actual money, score progress bar to next level. The lower interface doesn't do much to dispel the idea, either. And the Randomize All Items button looks suspiciously Facebook-like.

I think you may be looking at the screenshot I posted for comparison, which is a screenshot of Farmville? Because there is nothing like what you describe in Glitch.

No, there is no buyable in-game currency, and nothing to refill with money. While there is an energy bar, you can easily get free food without any hassle or begging or anything like that. Meat, which drops free when you interact with pigs, restores a fair bit pretty easily for even the newest newb and the cooking skills make it easier still. It is more akin to a decreasing health bar but the penalty for running out is also low - about 2-3 minutes in their shockingly dark hell and they respawn you with all your items and currency intact and a bit of energy back. Mood controls your rate of xp gain and is likewise refillable with easily obtainable drinks (especially easy with the blending and cocktailcrafting trees)

There is also no 'randomize all items' button of any sort I'm not even sure what you're referring to. And what site DOESN'T have a facebook link of sometime these days? Steam, YouTube, Destructoid, and a million other pages all have some way to connect.

The team is extremely transparent with their design philosophy and they've already laid out the entirety of the planned pay options: bonus clothing options/customization for your characters, teleport tokens to make fast travel not use your 'currants' (the games economic currency), and subscribers get votes in special elections on game issues.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:47:22 pm by Tilla »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 07:27:50 pm »

I'll admit to being vaguely interested in where this is going, although it does look a lot like moshi monsters and all the crap my 10 year old sister plays.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 09:15:02 pm »

I think you may be looking at the screenshot I posted for comparison, which is a screenshot of Farmville? Because there is nothing like what you describe in Glitch.

No, there is no buyable in-game currency, and nothing to refill with money. While there is an energy bar, you can easily get free food without any hassle or begging or anything like that. Meat, which drops free when you interact with pigs, restores a fair bit pretty easily for even the newest newb and the cooking skills make it easier still. It is more akin to a decreasing health bar but the penalty for running out is also low - about 2-3 minutes in their shockingly dark hell and they respawn you with all your items and currency intact and a bit of energy back. Mood controls your rate of xp gain and is likewise refillable with easily obtainable drinks (especially easy with the blending and cocktailcrafting trees)

There is also no 'randomize all items' button of any sort I'm not even sure what you're referring to. And what site DOESN'T have a facebook link of sometime these days? Steam, YouTube, Destructoid, and a million other pages all have some way to connect.

The team is extremely transparent with their design philosophy and they've already laid out the entirety of the planned pay options: bonus clothing options/customization for your characters, teleport tokens to make fast travel not use your 'currants' (the games economic currency), and subscribers get votes in special elections on game issues.

Right, I was judging the picture. I've never played Farmville so I didn't know. You compared that screenshot to that little character and I honestly didn't see a huge difference in quality, so that threw me off.

My mistake. :P
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:16:42 pm by Greenbane »

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 12:14:41 am »

I looked through some of the videos and et cetera, but the game looks extremely marketed towards a younger audience. I can't seem to find the appeal in it, and the artwork, though I'm sure it's polished, turns me off. I also don't see that much to be excited about in the gameplay--and again, maybe it's just not to my tastes.

My initial thought reading the OP was that the OP had been maybe paid, or had friends working on the game that encouraged him or her to write something positive and try to start popularity for the game on a relatively active forum. But I'm also probably just jumping to conclusions.

Oh man, so many qualifiers in my post.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 12:31:40 am »

This seems far too much like a different maplestory for my liking.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 01:09:46 am »

Yeah... The first thing I thought was that Mapplestory had a threesome with EVE and FarmVille.

I must pass this one... Pass it so hard I feel bad about even posting about passing it.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2011, 06:27:00 am »

So, i discovered this game (now out of beta) on an unrelated website, tried it without believing it would hold my interest for more than a few hours, and i must say, it has now been several days and i'm still hooked. It can be a bit grindy depending on what you do, but it's also a pretty good sandbox-ish game.

It's not a "facebook game" in that the cash shop only offers cosmetic stuff, and there is enough free clothing to differentiate your toon from the others. Also it seems to come with a free 1 month subscription -but again this only unlocks more cosmetic stuff.

The skill system has been compared to the one in EVE, which is correct except that the time required to learn skills is much shorter, so i think that with proper planning you can max out most of the skills in under a month.

I read someone in this thread saying that it seemed targeted towards a young audience, but it's actually wrong, you're supposed to be 14+ to play, and from reading the chat when someone asked about ages, i can say that a vast majority of players who answered were between 20 and 30, with some being 40+.

Most actions in the game use "energy", but unlike in most browser games, you can actually play continuously without waiting for daily refills. First, your max energy increases with each level, and gaining a level also refills it to the max. Then you can also eat food, until you're stuffed (which never happened to me so far, although i've played quite a lot). And then every "game day" (lasting 4 real hours), you get a full energy refill, and hunger (among other things) is reset.

The funny thing about this game is that there is no actual goal other that what you decide to do, but you always feel like you've got something to do. Granted there are quests, which give you some sense of direction, but most of them tend to be completed along the way, or sometimes they're just little challenges. Goals can include gaining money/items, levelling up, getting favor from the gods, completing achievements and getting trophies, or simply exploration, but really it's all up to you.

If you like crafting, you should definitely try this game, at least because it's quite unique in some ways.

http://www.glitch.com/

Oh and don't be scared by the big "connect with facebook", it's apparently a way to invite friends, but i never used it and there is no other facebook-things in the game.

Ah and feel free to add me to your contacts if you play : http://www.glitch.com/profiles/PUVSDSQOKEE2D5R/
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 06:44:04 am by Sirian »

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2011, 01:15:36 pm »

I decided to give this a go, since I was bored.  My character is named Rhodan, surprisingly.
http://www.glitch.com/profiles/PUVQG4V5PNE24LT/

Feel free to add me and stuff.

Also, I noticed one of those bureaucratic reptiles playing FarmVille on his computer.  With this thread in mind, it made me chuckle.
Some of the puns and items seem to be aimed a slightly older audience than a first glance at the game implies, so 14+ is about right.  Anyone younger than 14 shouldn't be socializing on the internet anyways.
Pages: 1 [2]