Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Spearfalls: A Tale Of Two Maps(Succession)  (Read 8332 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spearfalls: A Tale Of Two Maps(Succession)
« on: October 21, 2011, 01:02:47 am »

So, After getting bored of messing around with random maps and embarks, I've finally decided to start my own succession fort! I have two good worlds for it too. First up:

A large massively forested world, with plenty of trees and volcanos for all.

Next We have:

A Savage Desert World, ready to be plundered!
Note that these are not the embark sites, just a sample of each world for you to decide. Oh, and do you guys wanna go with the RNG for fort names and such?

Edit: Forest map it is! Ok, with map and embark chosen, here's the turn list and summary(Green is completed, blue is current, yellow is skipped):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's the Dorf List:

Last, the save!
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5129
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 01:36:35 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Unnamed(For Now) Succession Fort: A Tale Of Two Maps
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 10:15:22 am »

Spearfall! IT SHALL BE CALLED SPEARFALL!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:COUCH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 12:48:34 pm »

I approve of that name. :D
Also: haven't done a succession fortress yet; I'm signed up for one, but I'm fairly late in the rotation and it seems to be in development hell at the moment anyway. Which is to say: in!

As for embark sites, I think that should really depend on what the particular goal of this fortress is. If we're just doing a vanilla game, then I vote for a heavily-forested site with a river, volcano optional. If on the other hand we want to base the fort around some epic goal, be it a particular megaproject or what have you, then of course the site should support that.

That said, here are some ideas for arcs.

1) Vanilla survival type game on a terrifying volcano site.
2) Build the best dwarven theme park ever!
3) Build a zoo with one of everything. Clowns and Megabeasts included. :)
4) Attract the monarch, and have him or her lead a glorious campaign of some sort.
5) Ice fortress! Basically just embark on a cold site with a river so we can have an infinite source of ice, and build a huge above-ground fortress out of the stuff. Alternatively, do it on a glacier or other freezing site and do ice-casting, so the whole thing can be engraved. :p
6) Build a Dwarf Opera House.

And... yeah, that's all I've got, off the top of my head. Although many of those are not mutually exclusive! I also rather like Randomconstruct's idea of having each player build a new mega-project, or having each person add a particular goal that gets thrown in the mix so we end up with this huge snarly collection of ideas.

Anyway, that said, if anybody has any other totally rad ideas, please share!

And of course, vanilla is fine, too. Maybe an initial lack of direction would lead to some unintended hilarity/awesomeness.
Time Blossom cancels everything: NaNoWriMo

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 02:55:40 pm »

1. Have two separate forts on one map, each competing for wealth. Nobles go where they want, and split migrants up evenly between the forts. Bonus points if you build each fort out of different colors. If one fort dies, send half the inhabitants over to it to reclaim it.

2. Or, just have a bunch of cool excution chambers in a fort, and all invaders must be killed by capturing them in cage traps(or anything/magma if trapavoid(unless of course you find a way to stun them.)) and dumping them inside. Build a prison for invaders. Feed them wood bolts regularly.

3. Embark in an evil area, and do not melee the zombies. Range is the only option. If a dwarf if injured by a zombie, they are quarantined and dealt with. Migrants and traders could be infected, do what you wish.

Just a few ideas. Also, I approve of heavy forests, with volcano optional.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 08:17:32 pm »

hmmm, so it's trending towards the heavy forest world, huh? Also, Spearfall is an epic name for a fort, so let it be called spearfall! As for play style, I'm not to confident with megaprojects, so I was going for a basic lets-see-how-long-the-fort-lasts game. I'll see if I can find a suitable evil embark for us....
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 08:19:40 pm »

I CALL SECOND TURN!(meaning after you)
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 08:38:11 pm »

Found a perfect embark!

and here's the minerals we might find here:

Also, Time Blossom asked to join first, so you have turn three. Master, sorry

I'll edit the OP with the fortress name and the turn list as soon as I set up the embark.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:59:16 pm by tryrar »

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearfalls: A Tale Of Two Maps(Succession)
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 09:23:55 pm »

oh...well, Then I'd at least like to be dorfed as Rophello(Ra-Ff-El-Lo). give him the profession "co-founder".
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 09:28:41 pm »

Ok, now as for the dwarfs: We have me, a Miner/Doctor(Custom Profession Earth Priest), a miner/potter, a woodworker skilled at getting his own wood to shape(woodcutter/carpenter), a farmer good a growing and brewing, a dwarf good at all things metal(all metalworking), a stoneworker who can design buildings and also has a bit of skill at mechanics(Mason/engraver/mechanic, with a minor architect thrown in), and a Royal Guard sent to ensure the survival of the new outpost(a Potash maker with axe and all melee combat skills. I'll have the first turn up in a minute:

Journal of Tryrar Cogerinth, Earth Priest of Tulon Nanir

I have always had a strange connection to the earth. It sings to me, telling me its secrets, giving me solace. Ever since I was born, I have been fascinated with the stone and soil that we trod upon;it has given me great skill in finding the rare ores we dwarves seek. They say the earth is cold and unfeeling, just a thing, an inanimate object. I know the truth.

The earth is alive.

So, when the ruler of the Road of Rhymes put together an expedition for an outpost of our kingdom, I was chosen as the guide for my ability to sense the riches beneath my feet, as well as for my small ability at healing. I shall not fail them!

On the Road

We have stopped at a small wooded valley to rest for the moment. While we stretch from the long journey, a great shout goes up. My fellow dwarves had put up some temporary traps to catch more provisions, and instead snared two great bears! We decide to tame these creatures, as they should prove useful. Alas, while this location is idyllic, I sense no great mineral wealth beneath the ground, and we are forced to move on.

1st Granite
As the beginning of spring rolls around, I am jolted awake in the wagon as my sixth sense hits me...HARD. I quickly shout "STOP!" as we com to the base of a small hill. I excitedly describe to my fellow companions what I had felt...an absolutely enormous bounty of riches at this spot! "Alright then, we stop here." We take a quick look around: there's a stream that cuts through the hill to our left, as well as plenty of trees to eventually turn into beds. Sizing up the hill just to our north, I and fellow miner Rophello get to work carving an entrance to our new home.

Deciding to take advantage of the fact that the stream cuts straight through the hill, we'll build a bridge and put our home proper on the other sode, while we'll confine traders to this side of the stream.

Speaking of which, I've ordered our woodworker to go ahead and fell some trees for the bridge. I'm eager to get our stuff inside as soon as possible, I didn't like the look of the local wildlife...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 09:59:22 pm by tryrar »

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 09:58:50 pm »

stoneworker of course!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 10:00:09 pm »

aheheh, sorry, already went with the other miner, I can of course change that if you want, isn't too hard to edit....

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 10:16:45 pm »

8th Granite:

We have finished excavating the far side of the river, and have put in a temporary bridge. I hope to eventually find stone and put in a proper stone bridge later, but this wooden plank across will suffice for now.

15th Granite

We've finished cutting out the farm area, and are now securing a good sized pasture for our animals.

When the final slopes are removed, we'll turn our attention downwards...

(note, had to savescum at this point, as a sea lamprey caused all the dorfs to dodge into the river causing everything so far to be invalid.....)

Dalex

• Bay Watcher
  • And thats how Fun was made!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 10:24:22 pm »

I would like a turn please!
And a dwarf, either the Miner of the Royal Guard, by the name of Othello.
"But Sir, Urist's kidneys are falling out of his HEAD, and your telling me he doesn't need surgery?"

"Give him a Crutch!"

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 10:47:29 pm »

Ok, with me having to start over, I've changed Master's dorf to his request, and you're now the miner. With the similar names, I'll play you as brothers!

2nd Granite

Dear Journal, I've woken from the most horrible nightmare! In it, we had begun the construction of our home, and were about to start digging downwards when a horrible monster started dragging us all one by one into the river! I was the last to fall, struggling in the water as the eel-like creature kept a firm grip on my leg, and then it all went black...

I can tell you now, that this dream has profoundly shaken me, but I will press on.

15th Granite

The bridge over the river is finished, but my dream still haunts me. I'm...I'm not sure this is a good idea. Maybe if we wall off the sides of the bridge...

25th Granite

Disaster! We had just completed the farm level, so I ordered Othello to aid me in digging out the storage level and the fort proper... when we struck an aquifer!

This has caused the rest of the party to accuse me of being a fraud! They are doubting my abilities, journal, and for once I have no answer to my critics, as this is the first time my stonesense has failed me; for I can usually sense the presence of underground water. Something is badly amiss here....

27th Granite

After consulting with Othello and his brother Rophello, our mason, we have devised  a way to drain the qauifer by pumping out one square at a time, then walling it off. It will require us to move the main staircase a but to the south, but we shall persevere.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 11:03:36 pm by tryrar »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 11:37:16 pm »

12th Slate

Work begins on the pump that will drain the aquifer.

In other news, I have ordered a temporary food stockpile on the hill next to the farms.
21st Slate
Work on the pump is finally complete! Our royal guard has agreed to man it while we wall off the aquifer...

15th Felsite

We are making progress on digging through the aquifer.
At the rate we're going, though, I'm not sure when we'll be finished, and I still don't know when we'll hit stone...

19th Hematite
Disaster has struck once again, as Rophello was ambushed by a group of harpies! The ugly beasts savaged him brutally before one grabbed him in its claws and dropped him screaming in the river.

Our royal guard has suspended pumping and is making a dash to the wagon for his axe...

21st Hematite

It is my sad duty to report Rothello drowned before any rescue could be mounted. The harpeis have seemed to retreated into the sky for the moment, so I've decided to resume pumping. The faster we get underground, the better!

That's all for tonight. Sorry Master, I wasn't quick enough to get you away from the harpies.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 11:59:36 pm by tryrar »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8