Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lucid Dreaming and You- Too vivid to remember?  (Read 4084 times)

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lucid Dreaming and You- Too vivid to remember?
« on: October 22, 2011, 08:42:45 am »

For those who don't know, lucid
 dreaming is the act of realizing that you are in a dream and than using this knowledge to manipulate the dream-world. In my experience, this is nothing like inception and is much more prone to subconscious changes, oddities and general weirdness.
So, in what dreams have any of you been able to take control of, even partially?

Usually, I hear about other people's dreams involving real people and familiar places but my subconscious seems to prefer escapism. It might take place in the world of a game I'd been playing or a seemingly original setting.
One dream I can vividly remember, even years later, is me running through grain, maybe corn, that is too tall for me to see over, chasing someone down these little paths that run through the field. I soon reach a small clearing-type thing and see her. Yes, her. No name but she's a consistent character in many of my dreams to date. Short, brown hair, green eyes and never speaks a word, just acts. Nothing happened in the dream after that, it ended, and the only reason it stands out in my mind is its the first dream I can recall that she appears in.

Now, tell me your dreams?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 11:17:51 am by NobodyPro »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Vivid Dreaming and You- Did you fly?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 09:01:47 am »

Nitpicking a bit, maybe the word you're looking for is lucid, instead of vivid.

On topic, I kept trying on starting the practice methods in order to control, but never got that far and as such, I can't control my dreams. I wish I could though...
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 09:33:05 am »

Never flown in my dreams. Hang glided like batman, jumped reeaaaaally high, but not flown.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 10:17:57 am »

I fell, and felt like I was falling, but I was on the ground. Don't know if that counts.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 10:19:28 am »

I do the lucid thing all the time.

Don't usually fly, though. I wake up fast in most dreams.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lucid Dreaming and You- Too vivid to remember?
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 12:13:38 pm »

My last lucid dream was when I was dreaming I was an invalid sitting in my bed at night, and there was an elderly nurse talking to me, and apparently I was going to die from my illness, then in the middle of it all I went, "Hang on a second, this is a dream." Then I magicked the nurse away to prove it.
"Huh, now what?" I said. Then suddenly hellish monsters burst through the windows.
"Oh fuck you subconscious."
So then I spent the rest of the dream fighting them with my powers over time and space. This kind of thing is really common for me, my subconscious will throw up lots of barriers whenever I have lucid dreams. It's kind of like inception, except instead of random people it's monsters, sudden walls, flows of lava, collapsing floors leading to cave systems with a ceiling that seals up behind me. That kind of thing.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 04:45:14 pm »

Heh, I think I've pretty much always inherently known when I was dreaming, with relatively few exceptions. When I was little I'd have really terrible nightmares all the time, so taught myself how to consciously wake myself up from inside a dream.

It was many years later before I actually started controlling any dreams. What happened is I basically gradually became aware of how my expectations were shaping the world around me when dreaming. Like, if I expected the car I was in to go off the road at a sharp turn it would, but if I didn't really believe it would it wouldn't. Once you realize this it just becomes a matter of believing something is or will happen the way you want, and bingo.

Unfortunately (or fortunately I guess) I tend to have dreams with really involved and creative settings and plots, and being something of an escapist it's usually far more interesting not to go breaking and changing the world. So even when I decide to consciously give myself superpowers or otherwise "cheat" it's usually when I can somewhat justify it "in character". I'll occasionally use it to teleport/etc my way out of nightmares too, but since I'm such a horror fan I'll often just go with the flow anyway to see what happens.

Basically sleeping is just super fun for me. Really awesome. :D

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 06:03:17 pm »

I am a 100% lucid dreamer. I realize that I'm asleep, and realize that I can break all the rules Matrix style. Sometimes, I do. More often than not, though, I just wind up thinking about whatever I was working on before I went to sleep.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 06:41:30 pm »

I only had one possibly lucid dream so far.

In the dream, I was in the back seat of a car, when , remembering the things happened previously in the dream, I noticed that it wasn't my life. So, it was a dream.
To test it, I tried to see if I could do impossible things; I then make a small rock outside the car float.
That is cool, I say . But many people speak about being able to fly. Lets see if it works.
A second later I am in the air.... and I fall. Rapidly. I have never been able to defy gravity in my dreams, and it wasn't going to happen that day.
So, I fall... and "wake up" in the back seat of the car. Dream continues as if nothing happened.

I am still unsure if it was a true lucid dream or rather I dreamed about lucid dreaming. I was aware of being in a dream, in that little while that I described, and the dream was altered by my will, but lucidity was scarce and I am not sure how much control I had on my will and thoughts.

While I do not wish to interfere much with most of my dreams, I wouldn't mind to be able to have lucid dreams, to explore some of the recurring settings. Often I think I see and experience only a small part of what there is to experience.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 09:44:50 pm »

Lucid (aware) and kinaesthetic (muscle/sensory response) dreams, especially simultaneously, are cool as fuck; especially when they break reality/physics.

I've already listed a good few of these kinds of dreams before in other dream threads; but I can simply say that when you can not only "know" you're flying, but also feel the wind and weightlessness, and even the moisture from flying through clouds, it truly kicks ass to fly like superman. From experience in those kinds of dreams, it's probably the most intuitive control scheme you can imagine. Of course, in my case, to be more aware of how I am controlling it, I made sure to have it feel like my ankles and wrists are the propulsion points for my flight. Sorta Iron Man-ish (though his were palms and soles).

Other cool experiences are being able to cast magic and feeling the energy, heat, and cool from the different types of magic flowing through. More intuitive controls, like being in Magicka.

EDIT:
I think some of the more fun dreams with this I've had were when I, for some odd reason, returned to one of the old schools in town, and did some odd things that resulted eventually with me bobsledding through the school. Or driving a car through the halls of my old high school. It was odd, but still pretty fun.

Another cool experience I had, although a nightmare to others, was having the Apocalypse happening, and out of nowhere, my latent magic abilities have "Awakened" (Apparently, I earned my right to cast magic 'when the time calls for it', as sanctioned by God, under the order of St. Michael the Archangel (my guardian angel), as well as armed with a replica sword of his 'Quis ut Deus' as it was written on this glowing blade that can fire frikkin' holy lasers, along with the "Four Gospels" armor (which also looks badass beyond reason: It's power armor with the head of a lion on the breastplate, ox on the back plate, and an eagle on the back of the helmet, and my head up front makes up Man (with a protective mask looking the same as my face). Allows power of flight, tough as adamantine (actually called Deuscite (God Metal)), and makes me at least 10-1000x more powerful, able to make me hit things with such force, their souls fly out first)) and I was able to do all kinds of crap resulting in at least saving my hometown while hijacking an assault craft "Fallen Angel"-Class (AKA-Battleship) from one of the Devil's many legions, and taking down half an armada trying to stake a claim near my house with it (with a few Holy augments to make it more badass and fire Nether and Holy beams at the same time with nuclear results, which even took out a battlecruiser in a few shots). Big mistake. Mind you, although the craft I stole looked freaking awesome, I was also really picky with which one to hijack.

All-in-all, it was freaking cool to participate with God's army in the "Battle for the World" in that dream. Made Lieutenant in my first hour. One thing I can say is, if the Bible were to be taken literally (especially the unabridged version), I doubt our world is prepared for it. Angels and demons are just fucking huge and messed up looking; and also are easily *several* millennia more technologically advanced, atop being immortal. It's also like battling Time Lords. Not all of these giants are machines, and not all these machines are necessarily giant. And don't deny cherubs. Though artistically percieved as little Cupids in many bits of art, they're nasty little buggers that can rip apart things like a cloud of locusts; plus, they don't look like babies either.

If it's a prophecy at all, then I hope the Apocalypse, if it ever does come, is as freaking awesome as I dreamed. In a sense, I can imagine other prophets (not claiming to be one myself) felt the same way when they saw our times when they wrote down their doomsday prophecies and such. I have an odd feeling that if this dream were potentially true, then this isn't the first (nor last) time Earth has seen the "End of Days".
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 10:28:45 pm by Itnetlolor »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 01:15:44 am »

Had a dream once that Twelfth Night was about a computer hacker who has two and a half weeks to save his family from terrorists.

Since I have never actually read the play, this is what I think of every time Twelfth Night is mentioned. Which is often because I am a theatre student.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 01:19:35 am »

I've gained lucidity in a dream once, and only once. The whole thing collapsed and I woke up as soon as it happened, possibly because I was startled by realizing that my dream reality was a construct of my mind.

You know, I vaguely remember catching glimpses of loading screens in my dreams before. If I wasn't sane I might take that as evidence of reality being the Matrix, instead of it being an expression of my video game and computer-related habits.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 01:52:55 am »

At least you didn't dream you were directly in a game. A multiplayer game. Where the others were ACTUAL PEOPLE (well not actually real people but had the same names) who actually did stuff.

To go into further detail:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 02:25:47 am »

I have never had a true lucid dream. Ever. I'll be myself, but I'm more of a puppet. I see, feel, hear, etc., everything, but my actions are always... hardcoded?

The worst part is that I don't have the "INSTANT WAKE-UPHERPDERP" from fatal events. Like if I jump twenty stories, I'll get ribs jammed through my lungs and painful things like that. Can't move... but still am drowning on my own blood  :-\

The worst is when I jump into an abyss and gain infinite momentum and all my flesh is burned off from air friction...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 11:20:23 am »

I often realise I'm dreaming but don't change anything. The problem is that I'm not sure if it's just a dream about lucid dreaming or genuine lucid dreaming. I'd imagine that's possible.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: [1] 2