Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: The Inn of Drowning  (Read 18326 times)

ajr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Inn of Drowning
« on: October 22, 2011, 11:16:25 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

YEAR 9

Now in turn: kingfisher -> armaleon

List of turns

December:

1st ~~~~~

6th ~~~~~

11th ~~~~~

15th ~~~~~ kingfisher

21st ~~~~~ armaleon

26th ~~~~~ GoatGodPan

Invitational:

Greetings fellow dwarves.

It is time to man a new dwarven outpost on the frontier against goblins and legend beasts out there. Let our engineering skills lead us forward. Let our architecture comfort the eye with its angles. And let there be no dwarf in thirst and a let there be a storage of good foods for everydwarf. Who will join us?! See my plans.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 08:06:49 am by ajr »

buhb11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Small group succession game
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 12:02:45 pm »

i can join you.If u bring me more details

ajr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 01:04:15 pm »

The game mod would be native dwarf fortress, unless you object.

You should suggest the turn policy, wheter we play 1 year each turn or 1 day or ˝ week or one week per turn. The idea is that community fortresses build up more quickly that lighten the individual time spent on a fortress but still gives the feel of your own fortress being played there, at least on your turn.

Survival, megaprojects, further survival are our goals. Simply put, to make a damn good fortress.

The fortress should be first trapped with like a watertrap that is connected to drain system, maybe to a reservoir and maybe to the trade depot too so we can forcefully flush away any unwanted visitors. Simultaneously with building the water trap we should build a good underground agriculture.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 01:07:52 pm »

i guess i will join you too, but plumbing was never a strong point, i guess ill mainly throw in some weapon traps in somewhere, and i guess some explanation as to how to take screenshots would be helpful

oh and this would be my 1st succession game too so... dont worry i wont run it into the ground

when you say native dwarf fortress, do you mean vanilla?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 01:52:58 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

ajr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 02:03:23 pm »

i guess i will join you too, but plumbing was never a strong point, i guess ill mainly throw in some weapon traps in somewhere, and i guess some explanation as to how to take screenshots would be helpful

oh and this would be my 1st succession game too so... dont worry i wont run it into the ground

when you say native dwarf fortress, do you mean vanilla?

Yes, I mean vanilla. Maybe you could take turn after we more experienced players have secured the food supply and start settings.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 02:20:08 pm »

i never said i was inexperienced, just never participated in a succession game b4

i also just dont feel like going 1st tho... 2nd or 3rd maybe
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 02:24:01 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 04:58:56 pm »

I could go first, but I'd have to redownload the vanilla raws. The closest thing I have to vanilla raws has these little things scattered throughout, making it completely different. Sad, no?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 10:51:57 pm »

Hello!
I may join, it depends on how much time i have.
Could you dorf me as "Anderz" please? Make him your first military commander.
I'm not very experienced at DF, but can start a fortress pretty well.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

ajr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 06:55:14 am »

header edited

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 09:14:23 am »

Downloading. Mind if I put my own spin on the tale?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 11:40:03 am »

ill take wednesday i guess, now if only someone would tell me how to upload the thing and how to take screenshots... ill be good to go then

hmm a desert huh? no experiance with rocky deserts but i know how to cope with little wood (actually enjoy the mineral wealth i tend to find in deserts, cept that one where i was on a boatload of zinc....)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 11:45:49 am by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

ajr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 03:17:34 pm »

Downloading. Mind if I put my own spin on the tale?

suit yourself. I'm cool with it!

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 03:18:06 pm »

I'll take Saturday if that's all right. If not, i'll take the next weekend available. My megaproject of choice will be an impressive golden gateway.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 03:19:37 pm by aussieevil »
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 03:20:45 pm »

Here's Granite!

-----

The Inn of Drowning: A History of Glutony and Strife.

Granite 1, 891
That's the date my companions tell me it is, at least. The last thing I remember is a party back at the Mountainhomes around Malachite. I vaguely remember giving someone my autograph, and then snatches of memories, mostly of squishing various plants in an attempt to forget stuff. Now, though, this has to stop. See, I'm the manager of this sorry excuse for a fortress, and need to actually stay un-high and not-forgetty to do so. Let's see...we have a camel, a horse, and two bunnies. Why bunnies? I'd rather have a single dimple cup seed than two bunnies! Who chose the supplies?
Ah, that moron. The expedition leader is Kumil Glidepainted, a tall woman who seems to have gotten the job by being a somewhat loveable jerk. Or maybe because she organized this thing. Either way, she can't prepare to save her life! Ah, well, put them in a pasture. The big ones will make for tasty roasts.

Supplies are limited: a bunch of rat brains, some wine, and a bunch of seeds. In an odd show of competence, Kumil focused mainly on plump helmet seeds. We also have five picks, an axe, and a sword; a quiver; some pig tail cloth, thread, and bags (Why? Wool is so much cheaper?), a pig tail rope (same), a bunch of logs, a bucket, a splint, and a crutch. Finally, we have seven dwarves:
Kumil, the expedition leader as well as a miner, mason, and archetect.
Kubuk Boardwheels, a tall-and-skinny miner and mechanic. She's not a friendly type.
Iton Nourishedroofs, a big woodworker, who seems relaxed and not caring much. I wonder if she, too, is trying to forget all the events of the past few months?
Udil Staffisland, a miner, brewer, and cook, one of only two men in the group. He claims to be fine in social situations and not be discourageable, but avoids social situations and major problems if at all possible.
Dastot Pagemirrored, a miner, grower, and herbalist, broad but lean, and very expressive of her emotions. She also likes aesthetic things.
Captain “Anderz,” the other man, is mainly a fighter. He has no useful non-combat skills whatsoever. I can just see it now: Him complaining constantly about us not providing enough things to kill until he kills us. Great.
Finally, me. I am Ezum Coveredlabors, known as GreatWyrmSilver for my like of sterling silver. I am generally friendly and kind, and suppose that at least this should be exciting. My main skills--hell, my only skils--are managey and the like. I guess I'll be a hauler.

-----

I choose a spot for our staircase, and one for a food stockpile. I also order the wagon deconstructed and shiver in my wool cloak. Maybe, if we work hard, we'll survive.

Granite 2
Anderz was told to kill some mountain goats. However, Anderx seemed to be more interested in standing on the wagon.

Granite 3
Quite abruptly, the snow all melted.

Granite 4
Anderz again refused to kill the goats.

Granite 5
Nothing happened today.

Granite 6
The horse was slaughtered.

Granite 7
Nothing important happened today.

Granite 8
I'll only write if something important happens.

Granite 10
I suppose breaching the caverns cunts as important. I'm considering moving there permanently. I suppose that I should ask the other fortress residents...what the hell, I'm the manager, I can tell them to do it.

Granite 11
Kubuk starts digging a deep pit.

Granite 14
Udil becomes a miner.

Granite 15
Kubuk finishes the narrow, 160-foot* pit.
[*I assume that a tile is a 5-foot square, 10 feet tall. Currently.)

Granite 17
We've been industriuos these past couple weeks!
I see, towards the edge of the cavern, a pillar which looks just perfect for a future monument!

It's the big one at the far west, thirty feet tall, about 60 feet wide, and roughly elliptical.

Granite 18
The lower half of the river thawed. Nothing fell in. Same with a part further upstream.

Granite 20
The wagon is finally dismantled.

Granite 21
Will Anderz hunt these camels? Nope.

Granite 23
Iton became a woodcutter.

We still have wine, but many of us--myself included--have had to drink the cavern's water lately. I think all the booze barrels were being hogged by those swine.

Granite 24
I choose a big pilar to act as a three-level...place for people to gather and drink at wells, I guess. One level (the top) will be a hospital, one level (the bottom) will be a general party place, and the middle level...I dunno what's going there. Maybe a military thing?

Granite 26
Iton stopped hacking at a tree when she saw a large, pale reptile. A cave crocodile. A cave crocodile that chased her several dozen feet before losing LOS and forgetting about it.

Granite 28
I decide to go into stone detailing. The river continues to thaw with no bad side-effects. Life goes on. It's not been a good month we don't have any bedrooms, dining rooms, or anything; but we're still breathing, the booze is still flowing, and since no-one died in this first month, Iton owes me ten silvers. There's good and bad. For now, let's focus on the good.

-----

So far, so good. I'm getting to the point where I mostly just watch the dwarves set up the industries, so Slate should be a bit faster.
And since Ezum is just the manager and bookkeeper, the rest of the fortress can override her decisions. That is to say, if you post a not-totally-stupid idea, I may well follow it. Of course, Ezum may decide that it's a bad one regardless, so don't take this to mean “I'll do anything you say short of flooding the fortress...” Say, I bet I could make an awesome waterfall...
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 04:58:49 pm »

Shorter update, but I found a good stopping point.

-----

Slate 4, 891
The camel was slaughtered.

Slate 6, 891
I design what must be the greatest dining room in HISTORY!

[This is THE largest dining room I have ever made. Also, please note that I added some aesthetic “support” pillars and fiddled with that one tunnel after this screenshot was taken, as well as shifting the outer edges of the room.]

Slate 8
I set up some masonry orders.

Slate 11
The river has finished melting, with no notable consequences.

Slate 14
Construction of the dining room has started. Kubuk is like a rock mole! However, due to the unreadiness of, well, anything else, I call her off.

Slate 15
Dastot became a farmer.

Slate 16
I draw up some orders for mechanisms.

Slate 18
Knock-knock.
Who's there?
Interrupting giant toad.
Interrupting giant toad wh-?
OM NOM NOM

Kubuk was sleeping until a giant toad, creeping silently for a massive amphibian, ambushed her. The worst part?

ANDERZ WAS THIRTY-ODD FEET AWAY, AND JUST WATCHED WHEN COMMANDED TO KILL THE M********KER!

GreatWyrmSilver has mandated the production of certain goods: SOMETHING TO KILL THAT WORTHLESS NOT-MILITANT MORON IF HE DOESN'T SAVE KUBUK!

Whn the toad threatened to ruin his appetite, Anderz got off his lazy behind and gave a half-hearted chase to the toad, and even cut off its head! Good show!

But it was too late.

R.I.P. Kubuk.

Morale is low. Many of us were close friends with Kubuk, and the entire fortress was enjoying a meal or a drink when the attack happened. But this really isn't about Kubuk, or even witnessing death, although those certainly don't help.

The real issue is that we all now know that death could be around any corner, coming without warning, with scarcely any sound until our bloodcurdling screams.

We need to get this fortress carved out.
Sig
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16