Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: The Inn of Drowning  (Read 18327 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Small group succession game
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 05:14:59 pm »

wait so we're building the base IN the caverns..... sweet... something new for me, and a lot of space to impale/eviscerate surface attackers via upright spikes/weapon traps :D

and dang thats a huge dining room... bigest ive done is a 21x21 with a 5x5 entrance to it...

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 07:02:02 pm »

Thanks. I mainly did the cavern thing to contrast with Dawnstone.

Now for the third update, which actually reaches the end of spring!

-----

Slate 18
We need to get this fortress dug out.

Erm...WHY IS ANDERZ SLEEPING ON THE GIANT TOAD?

Slate 19
I order several walls to be built. If they don't stop the cavern beasts from attacking us, they should at least slow them down.

Felsite 2, 891
Udil has finished all but the end of a tunnel to the river and is now digging a deep pit. Er, dug the top part of the deep pit.

Felsite 6, 891
Some camel meat in the butcher's shop, still untouched, is starting to rot.

Felsite 7
Anderz is trying to get someone to listen to his complaints, and is wandering around, trying to attend a meeting, not doing any work.

Felsite 8
Kumil is throwing a tantrum! She calmed down quickly, though.
The giant toad's head is rotting. In our food stockpile. Great, what we REALLY need s MIASMA in the place we EAT, DRINK, AND OFTEN SLEEP. Soon, Kubuk also begins to rot.
...Remarkably, the toad's body does not seem to be rotting...

On a brighter note, we now have a farm plot.

Felsite 14
Since Kubuk is...can no longer serve the mechanical needs of our fortress, I tell Anderz to get to that job if he snaps out of his mood.

It took a while, but the giant toad's body is rotting. Hip-hip-boo-hoo!

Felsite 16
Udil is throwing a tantrum! So is Kumil! (While conducting a meeting...) Both were kinda dull, they just stood in one spot for a while.
The doe bunny grew up

Felsite 17
Nope, Kumil has knocked over the butcher's shop!
Udil calmed down without making a scene, though

Felsite 18
Kumil started to clean some blood off the stockpile, then calmed down and went back to conducting a meeting. Not that Anderz was listening, he was bust getting a drink.

I became an engraver today! Same work, same office (eventually), same lack of pay, but more self-confidence!

Felsite 21
Udil is digging the deep pit now.

Felsite 23
Okay, now she is.

Felsite 24
Thirty feet below the surface, trapped in a pit of her own making, Udil throws a tantrum.

Iton gets stuck in a web on her way to making one of the walls.

Felsite 25
After throwing a few rock salt boulders against the pit's narrow walls, Udil calms down.
At midnight, doing some late-night hauling, threw a tantrum.

Felsite 26
She quickly calms down.
Now Kumil is throwing a tantrum! Nothing came of it.
Udil threw another tantrum! 110 feet underground now.

Felsite 27
While Kubuk and the toad's head have largely finished rotting, being naught but bones, its body still rots on.

Felsite 28
After throwing a chunk of rock salt at the wall, Udil calms down. And so ends spring.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 07:49:46 pm »

Ha ha, sign me up !
I'm EXTREEMEMEMEMEMEEEEEE(ly) experienced with dwarf fortress, although in dwarf fortress that is usually a bad thing.*
Only downside is I pretty much start every one of my fortresses above ground in an at least savage desert with absolutely no hills or mountains... I've mastered it to the point where I can BUILD MAH OWN MAUNTAIHNS. Although building one in a cavern pretty much sounds like the entire opposite of what I do best.**
*The insanity has truly taken hold.
**Building wise.
SPLENDID.
Also, any rules as to what I can do?
(If I get a go)

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 10:33:16 pm »

You're MEAN to meh!
Why must dorf be such pale comparisons to RL?
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

ajr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 07:25:07 am »

Lore of Kűbuk the founder and the giant toad.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:27:06 am by ajr »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 07:29:40 am »

You should also add him sleeping on the giant toad corpse, on the dwarf corpse xD

ajr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anderz
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 09:56:23 am »

Anderz who sleep on the toad carcass after slaying it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 10:15:20 am »

xD
At this rate this thing could end up on the hall of legends ;p

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 04:57:14 pm »

That would be awesome. I think I'll post a quick update just to give you another fight between a civilian, Anderz, and a giant animal that got a name post-humously. Preview: Meetings! Miners trapping themselves! Actually, that should be singular! A revelation about the anatomy of giant bats!

-----

Hematite 1, 891
Dastot is throwing a tantrum. she calms down so fast he doesn't even drop his prepared horse eye. Kumil takes the torch, though, throwing a tantrum while eating a camel eye and calming down before she can drop it. Hm...

Anyways, with a crack and a shower of stone, Udil enters the fortress...and the dining...oh, no. She fell into a hole made earlier, and a 20-foot fall was enough to shatter her left femur and hand bones, as well as knocking he out. It also gets blood all over the walls and floor! Udil, after waking up, tries to eat but passes out on the farm plot after moving five feet.

Hematite 2
Dastot, still nibbling her horse eye, throws another tantrum and calms down...before...dropping...the eye. Hm...maybe the eyes are causing the tantrums, and we need to placate them with a monument so they will stop tormenting us!
Udil wakes up and makes it another twenty feet before passing out.

Hematite 3
Kumil throws another tantrum! She quickly calms down.
Udil crawls another five feet towards food before, you guessed it, falling unconscious. At least he's off the plot now.
Dastot is throwin yet another tantrum partway through her herbalism duties.
Udil awakes again!

Hematite 4
Kumil is throwing another tantrum! She calms down quickly, though.
Udil finally makes it the last  eighty feet to his precious rat brain.

...Dastot's still tantruming? Uh-oh...

Hematite 5
Finally, Kumil and Anderz are trying to have a meeting at the same time.

Hematite 6
Dastot calms down after a three-day tantrum.

Hematite 7
After trapping herself in the future dining room, Udil pauses, claiming to not be able to find a path to the patch of wall I told him to dig so she could get out. Later, he pauses, trying to find something to drink, instead of digging TO the something-to-drink.

Hematite 8
Udil hasn't dug herself out, probably in part due to his habit of wandering several dozen feet away from the tunnel after each section.

Hematite 12
Udil digs himself out, finally, and gratefully goes to get a drink.
-----
If I had to guess from the fact that Anderz is still following Kumil, their meeting hasn't concluded.

The order for rock blocks was completed.

Hematite 14
Iton is being attacked by a giant bat! Since they're in a low-ceilinged area, I think that Anderz will be able to get to it...if he stops drinking first...
Hey, Iton's not bad with that battleaxe. She even knocked the bat unconscious!...and is unconscious herself...c'mon, wake up and claim your kill, Iton...
(Interesting fact, giant bats seem to have arms instead of wings.)

Hematite 15
“Pickup Equipment?” Iton's DYING, Anderz! No, now is not a good time to try and get some time on Kumil's calendar, now is a good time to create a giant bat corpse!

Hematite 16
If you're going to kill the bat, don't say you're attending a meeting! That's confusing!

...Nice, you cut off the monster's arm...wing?...whatever. Then half of its leg. Then it died. All is well! Except that Iton died, of course, so now we have no carpenter or woodcutter. Sounds like Anderz is going to have a pretty packed schedule...

Morale lowers still more. It's bad in different ways, though. Iton only had one living friend, Kubuk, and was far from the fortress proper, but had an axe and showed that our so-called military can't be trusted to put our safety above...well, much of anything. At least the rot won't ruin our appetites.

Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2011, 05:03:45 pm »

Bats are mamals silly.
Mammals don't have wings ;P
Some bats have even evolved to use walking as their primary mode of short distance transport, i.e. the lovable vampire bat:3
Also, hello Mr. Anderz.
We've been expecting you.
Our name is Mr. Smith.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 06:15:37 pm »

Bats are mamals silly.
You...you...you have pressed a button of mine. My life, full of reading biology books for fun since elementary school...can't stand this blatant violation...you brought this on yourself.
A mammal's defining features are its fur (at some point in its life--cetaceans have a small amount of fur at birth, although it is quickly shed), its warm blood, and that its young are suckled on milk. Maybe one or two of those is just a "side trait" and only the milk is the "defining" trait. All other traits--number of limbs, eyes, wings, even lungs and number of heads, are all either (as with most) not shared by all mammal, or are due to being a tetrapod rather than being a mammal.

Some bats have even evolved to use walking as their primary mode of short distance transport, i.e. the lovable vampire bat:3
If I wasn't getting the idea by now that you aren't being serious, I'd complain about calling vampire bats loveable, as they have single-wingedly (okay, there's three species of vampire bats IIRC, so three-wingedly) given bats much, if not all, of their bad reputation.

Also, hello Mr. Anderz.
Our name is Mr. Smith.
I hope that the bat's name includes "Smith," just because of this.
Sig

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2011, 06:20:50 pm »

Bats are mamals silly.
You...you...you have pressed a button of mine. My life, full of reading biology books for fun since elementary school...can't stand this blatant violation...you brought this on yourself.
A mammal's defining features are its fur (at some point in its life--cetaceans have a small amount of fur at birth, although it is quickly shed), its warm blood, and that its young are suckled on milk. Maybe one or two of those is just a "side trait" and only the milk is the "defining" trait. All other traits--number of limbs, eyes, wings, even lungs and number of heads, are all either (as with most) not shared by all mammal, or are due to being a tetrapod rather than being a mammal.

If I wasn't getting the idea by now that you aren't being serious, I'd complain about calling vampire bats loveable, as they have single-wingedly (okay, there's three species of vampire bats IIRC, so three-wingedly) given bats much, if not all, of their bad reputation.

Also, hello Mr. Anderz.
Our name is Mr. Smith.

You forgot the whole live birth thing xD
Meh, if flaps of skin draped over arms counts as wings, then HELL YEAH FOR FLYING SQUIRRELS :]
Plus, you should give Anderz the choice.
A blue lever, and a red lever.
One will unlock the matrix, the other will self destruct the fortress :O
*Edit, btw, people gave bats bad reputations.
-See mayan death bat
-Bram Stoker's dracula
-TWILIGHT LULZ

ajr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2011, 02:43:07 am »

Anderz revenging the giant bat that brought death upon Iton.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 05:59:47 am by ajr »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2011, 04:47:00 am »

I love how the dwarves are spelling everything ;P

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2011, 03:12:50 pm »

Bats are mamals silly.

Also, hello Mr. Anderz.
Our name is Mr. Smith.

You forgot the whole live birth thing xD
Platypi and echidnas.

Meh, if flaps of skin draped over arms counts as wings, then HELL YEAH FOR FLYING SQUIRRELS :]
Plus, you should give Anderz the choice.
A blue lever, and a red lever.
One will unlock the matrix, the other will self destruct the fortress :O
Not a bad choice, but A. I can't find the Matrix in this fortress (although there is a VERY nice blue sword...), B. I'd get yelled at if I accidently destroyed the fortress, and C. I can't find any red or blue stone.

*Edit, btw, people gave bats bad reputations.
-See mayan death bat
-Bram Stoker's dracula
-TWILIGHT LULZ
The vampire bats' blood-drinking tendancy lead to two out of three of those, maybe all three as I'm not familiar with the "mayan death bat".

Anderz saving Iton from a giant bat.

"Saving" is a pretty usely-used term here, as Iton, erm, DIED.
Sig
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16