Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: The Inn of Drowning  (Read 18325 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Small group succession game
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2011, 03:18:38 pm »

Platipi are exceptions, and you'll find Dwarf Biologists arguing about what it actually is even as they disect it, with a giant axe blade.

And the mayan death bat was a bat the Mayans feared, for it's capabilities to rip people's heads off.
Yup.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2011, 04:32:04 pm »

Oh, were you arguing DF biology? If so, I have no counterargument. If not, though, the platypus has been agreed for a rather long time to be mammals.
Thanks for the Death Bat thing. It's...interesting. Weird, too. Overall, pretty mod-inspiring.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2011, 05:45:48 pm »

Hematite 25
Migrants have arrived! Unfortunately, they are on the SOUTH side of the river and we are on the NORTH. I order a bridge built and hope that the migrants don't starve while they wait.
The first migrant is Urist Oilyscales, a tall, muscular trapper, marksdwarf, engraver, and wood- and stone-crafter. He's aloof and likes fish, river spirits, and luxury. Next is Kulet Dippedtrumpet, an animal caretaker. He is a flimsy intellectual who likes to sit back and comment on the political system rather than participate in leading. Kulet is followed by Ducim Oilycalmed, a fisher, spinner, presser, gem setter, and metalsmith. She is clever at wordplay but has ADD and thinks short-term. She also likes slade, trolls of shadow, ballistae, and white-browed gibbon tooth. (I can just see her saying, “These teeth are clearly from a BEIGE-browed gibbon, you lying, conniving son of a...oh, look, a cat...where was I? Oh, right, you son of a--”) Following Ducim is Minkot Sinkfenced, an animal trainer, strand extractor, gem cutter, and master glassmaker. Minkot is a kind woman who really sucks at social relationships. She is a bit “out there,” but seems to otherwise be perfect for a doctoral position. Minkot has a fat brown-and-yellow-patched dog called Rakust Glenburst. Minkot is followed by a tough but low-endurance thresher, gem setter, and mechanic. She seems good at social stuff and hard to convince of anything, but likes “mite monsters.” Ber Princelabors, a digraced noble who likes bauxite and bronze, allegedly having sentnced a master metalsmith to a beating by a dwarf with a fine steel axe for not making a bauxite bed for his room. Ber is a novice at all metalworking skills and a skilled fisher. Following Ber is Iteb Dalecastles, one of Ber's former servants, a tall, fat, mostly worthless dwarf.
Animals coming along are Rakust and a giant-but-scrawny bull calf. We now have a dozen dwarves and four animals. Three of the migrants have been drafted, but we really don't have any spare weapons. If they aren't any use in combat, maybe they'll reduce the useless extra population, 'cause we are out of booze.

Partway through the migrant wave, Kumil announced that she was a mason. Whoop-dee-do for her.

Malachite 3, 891
Kumil decides that she's a miner again. I pretend to care.

Malachite 4
The migrants have made the bridge. They swiftly try to make themselves useful. I swiftly hear some snide comments from Kulet about defense. I reply, “Either take it up with the woman upstairs or do it yourself, I just manage. Anyways, have you been upstairs?”
“...Yes.”
“It is horrible up there. It's nice to be in the caverns--convenient water source for emergencies such as the one we are in, little worry of goblins, premade corridors, and convenient fungus for our grazing animals and to fertilize our fields.”
“We don't need to fer-”
“And if you don't like the defense setup, you can join the militia yourself. You can sign up by talking to that moody guy trying to get on Kumil's calendar.”
“...I guess I'll just have to find some other way...give me a month or so.”

Workshops are being dug out.

ARGH WHAT THE F-

Hematite 5
Finally, Kumil and Anderz are trying to have a meeting at the same time.

I discovered some odd drawings that Kumil abandoned. Those of note included Anderz sleeping on the giant toad, a dwarf standing atop a mountain covered in blood or magma, and Ander cutting up a giant bat. This last was due to a dream in which Iton was killed by a giant bat. Erm...yeah...I think I'll stay away from her.
[Dammit...and why didn't I save earlier?]

One last note: My power is slipping. Kumil is asserting her power, Anderz is striking fear into everyone's hearts, and the populace in general isn't very happy about a bureaucrat like myself having absolute power. This might be the end of my reign, but I will come back later...I hope...

-----

Alright, this is where I think I need to stop. Various RL concerns have impeded my ability to play, similar ones will prevent me from going more than MAYBE another hour today, and I have just lost a month of play. So I will upload the save now, allowing the next guy to get a head start on his turn, and consider doing another 9 months or so of a turn later.

Here is the save.

Oh, and if you don't understand something, let me know and I'll try to explain it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2011, 06:21:49 pm »

alright i suppose ill get started early i suppose, ill at least look around b4 wednesday... also someone PLEASE explain to me how to upload the thing

well here goes nothing i guess... (Oh just a note im prolly gonna come off a tad jerkish, for RP sakes...)

Excerpt from the Journal of the Overseer Jilladilla, Hematite 5, 891
I have heard that this place needed someone to oversee it, but i didn't think that the task would be this great... however i have come from a distant land to oversee this... umm... fortress? More like hole in the ground at this point... The last overseer did a shoddy job at walling off the surrounding caverns, hell i question his reasoning for coming into the caverns without being prepared... but our stuff is down here, and i wont move from it...

My first order of business is to cancel all projects that i deem to much of a hassle to secure,
second i demand walls to be built to shield us from the cavern, Anderz has a record of being unreliable so i hear, and i dont want some random Forgotten Beast to spew its toxic whatever all over us!

Kumil and Udil, being stuborn and idiotic, thought it was better to go mine than to build the protective walls i ordered, so what to do... oh I know: TAKE AWAY THEIR PICKS! GreatWyrmSilver, as she's called, told me it would be a good idea to engrave some walls about 300 FEET FROM THE SAFETY OF THE BASE! I told her to go pick up a rock and build a wall with it... Also strangely enough, Anderz is wielding a pick... not for mining but for attacking... sigh... YOU'RE A SODDING SWORDSDWARF NOT A MINER WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH A PICKAXE?!?

25th of Hematite
Some migrants have arrived, i pray one of them is a mechanic... I mean why WOULDN'T you guys come out here with one... dont see how they're not useful... Also I am appalled at the lack of a brewer... WHO ORGANIZED THIS EXPEDITION?!? WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!? ARE YOU A DAMN KOLBOLD?!? Oh wait I'm sorry kolbolds... Well list of migrants:

a talented bone carver, setting him to work butchering that giant toad that was down here, he brought a lamb... joy...
a soap maker who also knows a bit about farming, unleashing him on the fields...
a HIGH MASTER bowyer..... hmm... maybe ill give everyone a crossbow+bolts so the next wildlife incident isn't so devestating
another high master... but its a herbalist...
a novice clot... i mean our newest mason!

and THAT WAS IT?!? DOES THE MOUNTAINHOMES HATE THESE GUYS SO MUCH? Hope the low number was not due to anything that would be pursueing them

28th of Hematite
Kubuk was finally buried, may you rest in piece... Meanwhile my makeshift dining room was being constructed... only temporary, once the walls go up we'll get to work on the real one

8th of Malachite
got a dorm set up with a couple beds, the walls protecting us from the land based horrors of the western and northern caverns were completed, and Kumil has been quite miserable lately... with Udil and Dastot being pretty darn unhappy too... time to fire up the still I've built. Hope some wine will cheer those guys up. Oddly enough, GreatWyrmSilver and Anderz are the only 2 of the original 6 that are happy... very very odd...

14th of Malachite
WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!? There's a congo line of dwarves going out into the caverns to dump some phyllite that was marked for dumping in a tower thing in the WESTERN CAVERNS... Note that direct paths to the western and northern caverns were sealed... SO THEY WENT ON A TOUR ALL THE SODDING WAY AROUND THE CAVERNS... i swear these guys have a deathwish... Armok help me...

25th of Malachite
FINALLY the walls are done! now we only have to worry about bats and stuff that comes from the south...

7th of Galena
I was alerted to a grave archetectural error today... a single solitary DOOR was blocking the river... now thats fine for now but what are we gonna do when goblins riding cave crocs come to town? I don't think the river has the output neccissary to flood the caverns, but I just don't want the mess... not right now at least...

21st of Galena
Kumil FINALLY had a meeting with Udil who was waiting a month or so for that... must have had something he REALLY wanted to tell someone, oh well, he's fine now and back to mining, this 'fort' is running fairly smoothly.

5th of Limestone
Digging of some room the previous overseer designed begun... i have no idea what it was intended for, but i feel it would be best to use it as the core of our metal industry for now. And maybe a dining room too...

26th of Limestone
I gave Anderz the task of operating the furnaces, well we needed someone to do it and Anderz has a lot of free time... Hmm... Theres been no one to yell at... feels strange... and yet I feel an evil prescence here... no not here... but near... I fear for these guys, and hope that they have not unleashed it... I could just be going crazy though, some have called me slightly maniacal in the past...

1st of Sandstone
Sent Anderz to kill a herd of camels, hes been getting rusty... Been haunted by dreams... Either I'm going crazy or I'm on to something. Probably the former...

10th of Sandstone
Anderz JUST STOPPED WHILE CHASEING A CAMEL THAT WAS FIVE FEET IN FRONT OF HIM! I swear theres something wrong with these dwarves. Maybe it's the location. Too damn hot here, wanna go back home to the tundra...

11th of Sandstone
Still haunted by dreams... but they have grown... bolder so to say. I think I'm going insane...

16th of Sandstone
More migrants! Please let there be a proper mechanic...

a fisher... well more food never hurts...
a lye maker... no comment...
AND THAT WAS IT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!? IS THIS SPOT CURSED OR SOMETHING? DO THEY HATE US THAT MUCH? IS IT BECAUSE I'M GOING INSANE AND THEY'RE SCARED I'LL GET POWER?.... yes... power... I... need it... (illegible scribbles and drawings follow)

17th of Sandstone
Power... yes... thats it... THATS IT!!!
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

i was contemplating how to make that flooding chamber you wanted... and well at this point I've apparantly have gottan a fey mood :) i have screenshots of... it(or at least the blueprints of it) but still have no clue how to post them. the forts going wonderfully btw, everyones happy (or at least not miserable) no deaths, the cavern is mostly walled off from our base (southern caverns remain open, and bats can just fly over most of our walls, namely all of them cept the northern ones) and a dormatory and a makeshift dining room. Oh and one last thing, what I'm planning, is big, time consuming, might cost lives, and prolly won't work... shame theres no aquifer, if there was one in one part of the map i would make use of it...

sorry but just so people see but how do i post screenshots?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 10:56:04 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2011, 01:20:19 am »

Trololol
Who knew my dorf would be SO ARMOK-BLASTED INFURIATING!?
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

ajr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2011, 06:00:14 am »

"Saving" is a pretty usely-used term here, as Iton, erm, DIED.

Done editing

How to upload a thing?

1. Go to http://dffd.wimbli.com/

2. Maybe make an account there.

3. Activate the accout.

4. Upload and before done, specify the category.

5. Paste a link here.

Screenshots

The easiest way is maybe to upload them to imgur.com . then right click and show image.
Then make an [IMG*]http://screenshot.location[/img*] code.

*delete the *
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 06:32:45 am by ajr »

ajr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2011, 07:15:29 am »

Plans for the people's graveyard
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 03:54:23 am by ajr »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2011, 12:51:11 pm »

With statues on top of the coffins? DAMN HOW DID I NOT THINK OF THAT FIRST :d

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2011, 02:14:41 pm »

well heres the screenshots of my plans... hope this works

Drawings from the Journal of Jilladilla

IT WILL BE GLORIUS!!!

This is the initial plan, what im actually doing is slightly modified from this...
Just got a better idea for the thing...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 02:16:21 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2011, 03:04:07 pm »

A couple f your questions:

We had a mechanic, it's just that he died. To a giant toad. We had a spare pick, which makes a great weapon, so why not give it to Anderz?
And as to the spread-out projects: Yeah, not a great idea, but I had plans for the area! Vague, useful plans! The tower over there being engraved would be a combination wood furnace/ashery/maybe soapmaker's workshop supercenter. Plus, settling the whole cavern would count as my megaproject. If I had had long enough to finish my year.
Sig

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2011, 08:23:24 pm »

A couple f your questions:

We had a mechanic, it's just that he died. To a giant toad. We had a spare pick, which makes a great weapon, so why not give it to Anderz?
And as to the spread-out projects: Yeah, not a great idea, but I had plans for the area! Vague, useful plans! The tower over there being engraved would be a combination wood furnace/ashery/maybe soapmaker's workshop supercenter. Plus, settling the whole cavern would count as my megaproject. If I had had long enough to finish my year.

To the pick part of that: a dwarf can only attack with one of his weapons (as far as I noticed) per turn, he doesn't know how to use a pick that well, as such removing the pick from his loadout should increase his effectiveness... oh btw big update incoming, I just found a snipping tool too btw... been using the export local image thing on the menu of dwarf fortress...

Glory to United Forenia!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2011, 08:32:40 pm »

3rd of Timber: the yearly caravan is coming soon, and i know that i need crafts for it fast, thankfully
we have a kiln ready to work. Power... yes... I'll have you soon, with a design elegant enough to be expanded upon!

4th of Timber
I have routed all labor towards... The Array... Every dwarf is either digging it out, constructing floodgates or mechanisms, or keeping all of us fed!
I have been hearing... questions regarding my sanity spreading among the dwarves... THIS IS NO TIME FOR SILLY GOSSIP, YOU SHOULD BE CONSTRUCTING MY GREATEST CREATION! STOP MESSING AROUND!

10th of Timber

ABOUT DAMN TIME!
Oh and the river froze over... Well the temperature is a little better... Hmm... Hope it doesn't stall in the winter...

17th of Timber
Merchants came... While trading with them will slow the construction of the Array, any wood they brought would dramatically speed up the later stages of its construction...
I just hope they have wood... 100 logs won't cut it...

1st of Moonstone
These dwarves just suck at any coordinated effort... The Array is barely dug out, our trade goods haven't been moved to the depot... WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING? THIS ISN'T A LABOR UNION! GET TO WORK YOU LAZY BUMS!

5th of Moonstone
Kumil finally meets with the liason, want him out of here ASAP so he doesn't get in the way of construction

9th of Moonstone
DAMN MERCHANTS BROUGHT NO WOOD, I swear that the Mountainhomes doesn't want the Array to be completed... They'll probably even send an army to...
NNNOOOOO!!!!!! IT MUST BE COMPLETED!!!

10th of Moonstone
GET THIS THING DUG OUT! DOUBLE TIME PEOPLE! MOVE! MOVE! MOVE!!!

13th of Moonstone
Requested wood from the liason, with a focus towards alder and ceder, also requested some flux stone...
Also, Udil apparantly got stuck in the lower area of the Array... I have no clue how he did it though...
It needs to get done soon...

19th of Moonstone
The merchants left today, but they seem to have forgoten their goods... oh well... none of it really helps us right now, although those steel greaves might...

27th of Moonstone
The miners are a bunch of WORTHLESS LAZY BUMS! Kumil STILL hasn't finished her meeting with the liason, mining just completely stopped... GET BACK TO WORK YOU WORTHLESS BUMS!!!

5th of Opal
The rate of progress on the Array skyrocketed today, hopefully they just needed a warm up... Funny... i was yelling about how stupid it was to bring 5 pickaxes here a few months ago, now I'm sorta glad at whoever brought them...

23rd of Opal
One of the migrants, Led, and GreatWyrmSilver were trapped while digging out the array... AND ALL OF THE OTHER DAMN MINERS REFUSE TO DIG ANYTHING!

27th of Opal
Led and GreatWyrmSilver built their way out, and I prevented another similer incident from occuring.
Work on the Array progresses at an acceptable rate, managed to get 1 row of it dug out

3rd of Obsidian
The liason told us what the Mountainhomes wanted... and it was a bunch of stuff I would never trade away...
I expect half of The Array to be dug out before the end of the year.

6th of Obsidian
Alright Kumil is FINALLY done with the liason, BACK TO MINING FOR HER!

21st of Obsidian
My expectations... were way off... we only have about 25% of the array done

11th of Granite
I overestimated the abilities of my miners, but as of now progress on The Array is moving on quickly.

24th of Granite
The Array is being dug out pretty quickl... MECHANICS GET THOSE DAMN GEAR ASSEMBLIES IN PLACE! CARPENTERS GET THE WATERWHEELS UP!

11th of Slate
River completely thawed today... I'm afraid that i won't be able to complete The Array...
TRIPLE TIME! MOVE, MOVE, MOVE, MOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEE!!!!!!!

22nd of Slate
Alright, now i consider The Array 50% done, the 1st waterwheels went up recently...
Not much... longer... and I'll... have... my power...

24th of Slate
More migrants! THERE BETTER BE MANY OF THEM...

a weaver... new archetect... brought a goat...
ANOTHER DAMN LYE MAKER!
a fish cleaner... with a pig...
a farmer... mildly useful... WITH ANOTHER DAMN GOAT!
a herbalist... not like we have enough of those right?
a fisher...
ANOTHER FISHER!
another high master bowyer... do we need more than one?
a mechanic... normally i would cheer but... SHE'S A DAMN NOVICE!
a milker...
a high master engraver who's also skilled at building design... FINALLY A USEFUL MIGRANT!
an adequete armorer who likes iron... she's going to come in handy later for sure
a high master... dyer... SERIOUSLY? WHY DO yoU STILL EXIST? DID THEY SEND YOU HERE FOR USELESSNESS?
a peasent... Well we do need haulers...
a high master wood crafter, should be useful for turning the mountains of wood we have into mugs... oh wait...
a soap maker...
a potash maker with some hammer skills... use her for military later...
HOW MANY FISHERS DO WE NEED?!?
a novice leatherworker...
a dwarf who know a little bit about every kind of farming... and is a proficient organizer... new manager here
ANOTHER DAMN FISHER!!!!!
high master cook, gonna set him loose on our food stocks to keep morale high, very high... maybe...

And something finally goes my way... We're up to 35 dwarves now... Damn that was a big migrant wave... 6 fishers... way too many fishers...
The Array should be finished soon!

28th of Slate
A GREMLIN! WHAT THE... HOW THE... HOW DID IT GET THERE UNOTICED?!?
Hmm... wish we could capture it, but I've heard these sneaky little bastards are too nimble for conventional traps... Shame, never saw one of these before...

10th of Felsite
Dodok Stoppedbridge, the high master wood crafter, has been possessed... We need every ounce of wood we can get for The Array...
Sorry Dodok... Need the wood and we shouldn't give the goblins a reason to come take our stuff... yet...

13th of Felsite
Elves have been spotted, now i know quite a few overseers would take their stuff, but we don't have a lot of wood here, it would be tactically flawed to piss them off...
Well i have nothing against them anyway... Except the lack of guards their caravans have...

23rd of Felsite
GreatWyrmSilver got around to trading with the elves, however, to my dismay, THEY HAD NO WOOD EITHER! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?
If they didn't bring exotic animals i would lose it... They seem to have come from a savage area...
Sigh... Why doesn't anyone bring us wood?

27th of Felsite
DAMNIT WE'VE RUN OUT OF MECHANISMS! Oh well, we have a lot of mechanics and 3 workshops for them.
______________________________________________________________________________________

8th of Hematite
It's been a year since I've arrived AND A DAMN GOAT DECIDES TO BOTHER ME WITH IT'S HUNGER RIDDEN DEATH!

16th of Hematite
That new manager wouldn't issue the order for mechanisms I gave... IS EVERYONE AGAINST ME?

20th of Hematite
Even more migrants...

a milker...
a high master gem cutter... shame i don't deal in gems...
a farmer...
a high master... glazer... same comment as the dyer that came earlier...
a diagnoser... well at least we'll know how that toxic forgotten beast whatever is killing us now (there is none atm)...
an engraver...
a miller whos an adept metal crafter... somewhat useful if we find gold or platinum

And thats the wave, 42 dwarves now... this could get a little messy...

24th of Hematite
Dodok went insane today, babbling about nonsense... or at least what would be nonsense to most... "a glowing blue light in the dark is the key" he said... yes... I've had dreams of that... I wish i could get out of here, but I must finish The Array before then.

12th of Malachite
Construction of The Array stalls due to a lack of wood, I'm going to open up the caverns to get some more

12th of Galena
So far opening up the caverns has paid off, many more waterwheels were put up...
However I may have to settle for it being incomplete for the time...

14th of Galena
OH SHIT! A FORGOTTEN BEAST CAME! It's a giant eyeless shelled goose... The dwarves call it Anu... Wierd name...
Thankfully, it came from the western caverns, I opened up the eastern caverns, so it'll take some time for Anu to get to us.
OH WOW OUR WEAVER HAD A STROKE OF GENIUSNESS AND RAN OUT RIGHT AS THE WALL WENT BACK UP! Oh well... we dont need him anyway.

OH SHIT!!! I FORGOT GEESE CAN FLY!

1st of Hematite
Dreams... getting... worse.......

umm sorry about that guys, the FB was running rampent and BUTCHERED the entire military and well... its too early for this to die

Oh and I won't post a full screenshot of The Array for a reason: It's a surprise :)

Glory to United Forenia!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2011, 08:56:11 pm »

Have you managed to weaponise the stare of a dwarf?

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2011, 09:19:52 pm »

Have you managed to weaponise the stare of a dwarf?

I don't think i have?
I've made them able to breath fire but...

Glory to United Forenia!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2011, 09:49:20 pm »

Oh err... That's good then.
I obviously haven't given dwarf's lazer gemstone vision.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16