Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Platinum sword? great or just for looks?  (Read 18067 times)

silversurfer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Platinum sword? great or just for looks?
« on: October 23, 2011, 03:47:48 am »

Anyone ever score one of these?  can't wait for next seige....

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
Re: Platinum sword? great or just for looks?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 04:03:23 am »

I think it'll be mostly for looks.  I don't know if any ‼SCIENCE‼ has been done on platinum swords specifically, though.
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 04:14:42 am »

I am sure that platinum is THE WORST for edged weapons. Heavier materials are normally very bad for edge weapons, and even a masterwork one cannot make it any more useful.

Put it in your nobles magma chamber bedroom, or somewhere on display for everyone to see.

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

donal

• Escaped Lunatic
  • These Mspa fans just keep happening man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 05:04:15 am »

What a shame, platinum is THE best weapon for blunt weapons. An artifact one would have been practically unstoppable.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 05:08:28 am »

Some guy has a list of all metals in his signature, ranked on their ability to hold an edge. I'm sure he'll post here eventually and then you'll know exactly how useful your sword will be in combat.

Boost One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 05:08:54 am »

Don't dwarves do slaps and pommel bashes with swords? They're blunt attacks, so will they do more damage?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 05:23:56 am »

They're blunt attacks, so will they do more damage?

Presumably they will, but most or even all attacks with an edged weapon are made with the edge. I haven't played fortress mode in a long while but I remember testing a related issue in the arena. I had modded warhammers to include a spike, as they supposedly did historically, and equipped dwarves with them. They seemed to use the spike exclusively, or at least almost.

Not that this should even be that much of a problem. I've been playing adventurer mode recently and it reinforced the notion that combat prowess is like 95% armor and training, 5% weapon material. Accordingly, they should do fine with a platinum sword as long as they know what they're doing. This is doubly true assuming most of your enemies will be lightly-armored goblins.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 05:54:31 am »

Weapon trap in a communal area would be the most effective use of this. That, or stockpiling it outside near the map edge to provoke kobold invasions when one of them makes off with the ultimate shiny thing. Dispatching kobolds is good military training.
This is a blank sig.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 06:37:06 am »

They're blunt attacks, so will they do more damage?

Presumably they will, but most or even all attacks with an edged weapon are made with the edge. I haven't played fortress mode in a long while but I remember testing a related issue in the arena. I had modded warhammers to include a spike, as they supposedly did historically, and equipped dwarves with them. They seemed to use the spike exclusively, or at least almost.

My sworddwarves (31.25) seem to like bashing gobbos with the flat of the blade. It has been surpisingly efficient in some skirmishes, with frequent broken spines.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 07:12:14 am »

You could always come back in Adenture mode and go around slapping people with a sword. It shouldn't move around too much with the item scramble as heavy weighted objects generally don't.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 09:19:14 am »

I am sure that platinum is THE WORST for edged weapons.

Nope. It's equivalent to iron in MAX_EDGE (iirc, and heh - just read a reply that confirms this - found myself quoting it below), and the weight makes a good secondary slap/pommel jab attack.

IIRC, platinum is as good as iron, but due to it's weight, a dwarf would be slow.

Although a dwarf would slow a small amount, the effect would be negligible.

Just give it to a dwarf, he should do just fine if he wields the sword as a cricket bat. Oh - and I once had a artifact platinum battle axe that my militia captain chopped a colossus in half with - I don't doubt platinum.

I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 09:32:04 am »

We need an artifact adamantine battle-axe, with mennacing spikes of platinum, hanging rings of gold. Encrusted with raw aluminum, Even more spikes of bronze. A picture of itself in silver andobviously MORE SPIKES of obsidian.

Edit: Oh and uh, platinum is alright for edged. Just give it to the right dwarf and show no mercy.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 10:04:43 am »

We need an artifact adamantine battle-axe, with mennacing spikes of platinum, hanging rings of gold. Encrusted with raw aluminum, Even more spikes of bronze. A picture of itself in silver andobviously MORE SPIKES of obsidian.

I'm gonna draw CAD that.

EDIT: What would adamantine look like in RL? A light-metallic cyan?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 10:09:01 am by acetech09 »
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 10:12:19 am »

Yeah probably. Im assuming when axes 'n swords have spikes, its at the edge so it sorta looks like a chainsaw or something like that. Just me.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 10:17:03 am »

Probably. IIRC, in the days of 23, when the demon died all the adamantine would turn to galena, which is a gray-ish color if that means anything.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4