Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2011  (Read 8200 times)

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
NaNoWriMo 2011
« on: October 23, 2011, 04:24:09 pm »

NaNo! Who's doing it this year? I am! You should too! I asked your mom if she thought you should do NaNo, and she said yes.

For those not "in the know," NaNoWriMo is an annual writing adventure in which hordes of people each attempt to write a 50,000-word novel during the 30 days of November. It's a great way to practice your writing, fool around with an idea, motivate yourself to write that book, meet new people, discover new technologies, and cure more than 90% of extinct diseases!

So who's doing it, and what are you all going to write about?

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 05:08:25 pm »

Well, I've never really written anything more than a crummy short story for English (that apparently wasn't as crummy as I thought), but I've been feeling extra creative lately and I've been thinking I might be able to write something cool if I tried hard enough. Likelihood I'll try to write something soon? Relatively high, if I'm not way too busy over the next month. Chances I'll participate in NaNoWriMo? No clue. I should probably check out the link you have there though.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 06:21:18 pm by Kirbypowered »
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 07:48:18 am »

I'm doing it. Going to write an additional 50k for my fantasy novel (Essentially 5 x 10k short stories within the book), not sure if this makes me a 'nano rebel' or not but it should be fun anyway. I'm stocked up on caffeine and writing an outline to prepare. :)

The book is about a group of thieves in a medieval fantasy world, welp.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 08:36:17 am »

I'm probably going to do it. I completed it last year as a test to see if I could actually write that much on a single story, since I'd never seriously tried. I think I learned a lot -- both about the process and about myself. Uncovered some weaknesses I hope to address with a bit more practice, too.

Last time my story was fairly serious ... I might try something completely different this time. I'm kind of looking forward to it.

I just need to stay away from all the amazing game releases coming out between now and the end of NaNoWriMo.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 08:58:28 am »

I'm not sure if I will have a go, had a half-arsed effort last year and never really got going seriously.

Nevertheless posting to watch, and good luck to the entrants that do have a go. Keep us up to date with how you are getting on (if you have time ...  !? )

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 05:54:53 pm »

Yeah

(1/50,000 so far, this is gonna be cake)

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 09:18:47 pm »

I am totally participating, for the first time. Not sure how well I'll do, but I have to at least try.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 09:20:14 pm »

Well, I do need an excuse to start writing. I hope I don't end up putting it off :/
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 11:55:34 pm »

Me last year: That's only 1667 per day! Easy!
Turns out its pretty difficult, especially with school/work. I've yet to decide if I'm trying again this year.
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 10:29:16 pm »

I'll definitely give this a try. Any suggestions on how to motivate yourself once you start running out of steam?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 10:47:54 pm »

I'll definitely give this a try. Any suggestions on how to motivate yourself once you start running out of steam?

Find the next point on your outline, and write toward it as fast as you can.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:COUCH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 11:18:49 pm »

Also, Chandler's Law. Although I believe the NaNoWriMo version is "bring in the ninjas!" Seriously, you can never have too many ninjas--which is to say, it's better to write something off-the-wall and borderline silly to get your juices going than to sit and stew and not write anything.

I made it about halfway last year, which is the closest I've gotten. It's all fun and games until you miss just one day, ya know?

Anyway, yeah, I'm doing it again this year. I had a list of 18 ideas, I've narrowed it down to five, and I'm slightly-more-than-halfway-settled on one in particular.

It's called Cold Case, and it's about a yeti P.I. investigating a series of serial murders. Probably. The setting is a lot like prohibition-era America, but with magic being banned instead of alcohol. Hopefully, it will be better than it sounds.
Time Blossom cancels everything: NaNoWriMo

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 12:08:59 am »

Hopefully, it will be better than it sounds.

That's going to be one hell of a book! Sounds awesome. Good fortune in your writing!

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 12:51:30 am »

Also, Chandler's Law. Although I believe the NaNoWriMo version is "bring in the ninjas!" Seriously, you can never have too many ninjas--which is to say, it's better to write something off-the-wall and borderline silly to get your juices going than to sit and stew and not write anything.

I read the first paragraph, clicked the link, and read the rest of the post forty-five minutes later. Your fault. :P

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 01:00:14 am »

I hit about 51,000 words last year in total for the one I completed. The one I completed was outlined a month before I started, but I got a weird idea about three days before the start of NaNo last year. I decided to write the new, non-outlined thing instead. I got about 12,000 words into that during the first week, realized I made the largest mistake ever, and started over using my original idea.

So last November I wrote about 63,000 words in total, and even with that challenge, I didn't write anything for the last 3 days of the month.

I'm hoping to not put myself in that position this year. I've got an unsaleable novel idea sketched out -- unsaleable because I'm mixing Fantasy and Science Fiction a little TOO much, and I doubt enough of either audience will appreciate it unless I do a damn good job -- in fact, writing this unsaleable idea to the point at which I could sell it is my goal -- and this year I'm not going to abandon it three days before November. >:[
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8