Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2011  (Read 8305 times)

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2011
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 11:00:08 am »

I'm still setting up the world and the characters, nevermind the plot. Should've done this earlier...

In short, the idea is that you follow a mercenary swordsman through a silly medieval world where he does odd jobs to keep himself afloat. Cue adventures/misadventures.

He he. Excellent.

'ere son ... yeah you with the big metal stick. Can you get up 'ere and rake the leaves out of me gutters?

I've gone and got sucked in again ... 902 words and counting ... 1.8% complete already ... wow I can almost see the finish line ...  ???

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 12:26:05 pm »

Alright, so, I realize now that I've basically outlined a short story which doesn't have nearly enough story for 50k words (hey, it's not my fault, a 'novel' in Finnish is basically a short story, my brain got confused). Fortunately, my current start can just as well be the beginning of this adventure with some reworking of events and characters (though the humorous conclusion will have to dropped, methinks). Now to think up the rest of the story, durr. Need to tie it into a greater plotline somehow.

EDIT: Doing just several short stories instead, works much better for me.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 02:47:32 pm by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2011, 01:13:44 pm »

I'm still setting up the world and the characters, nevermind the plot. Should've done this earlier...

In short, the idea is that you follow a mercenary swordsman through a silly medieval world where he does odd jobs to keep himself afloat. Cue adventures/misadventures.

He he. Excellent.

'ere son ... yeah you with the big metal stick. Can you get up 'ere and rake the leaves out of me gutters?

I've gone and got sucked in again ... 902 words and counting ... 1.8% complete already ... wow I can almost see the finish line ...  ???
306 words here. Well, at least I've gotten started, right?
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2011, 06:13:52 pm »

I wrote 682 words of a story last night after midnight. This morning, I woke up, decided it wasn't grabbing me, and wrote 821 words of something new. Now I have decided that this story is actively preventing me from being grabbed and am returning to the 682. This year's NaNo theme: I am completely lost!

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2011, 06:48:25 pm »

I'm doing reasonably well with 2286 words and more coming later, thanks to having a boatload of free time  :D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 07:01:43 pm by Un67 »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, 09:55:10 pm »

My novel is probably going to be about a Necromancer just getting out of Necromancer University. Other than that I have no idea what to write about...
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:COUCH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 02:58:58 am »

I wrote 682 words of a story last night after midnight. This morning, I woke up, decided it wasn't grabbing me, and wrote 821 words of something new. Now I have decided that this story is actively preventing me from being grabbed and am returning to the 682. This year's NaNo theme: I am completely lost!
Apart from the going back to the original part, this is pretty much me exactly! Sorry, yeti detective, but it looks like I'm doing a space opera this year. I did quasi-noir last year anyway, time to do something different. ^^

Kinda feel silly to have wasted a day and gone to a midnight dash for nada, but I'm pretty pumped about this new story, so: yay, NaNo ahoy!
My novel is probably going to be about a Necromancer just getting out of Necromancer University. Other than that I have no idea what to write about...
I advise... Master's Thesis!

I mean, really, who hires a Necromancer with a BA? Also, the potential thesis topics are fun:
1) The Cross-Cultural and Psychological Impact of Lichdom
2) The Science and Art of Metaphysical Phylacteries
3) Undead Agriculture: Practical Applications of Undead Labor in Subsistence Economies*

*Totally stolen from Necromancy 101
Time Blossom cancels everything: NaNoWriMo

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2011, 04:28:14 am »

4) 'From the Grave to the Cradle' - True Life Cycle Costing of an Undead Army

I'll admit I'm disappointed about the Yeti Detective, but good luck with the space opera.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2011, 02:56:55 pm »

Don't forget, guys, there's no need to delete anything. Just take the bits you don't like and copy and paste them into a junk document, and keep counting it for your word count. After all, you wrote it, right, so why not take credit for it?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2011, 06:03:56 pm »

If someone sets up a non-IRC-based chatroom I will hang out it in it and be a wealth of ideas and suggestions and critiques.

Yeah someone should do this, it's a great idea.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2011, 06:30:49 pm »

Well, since you want it so badly, we can chat at http://webchat.freenode.net/. Channel is #bay12nano. Not sure how much I'll hang out on there, but hey, it's something.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2011, 01:04:37 am »

Well I'll be hanging around there I guess

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2011, 08:26:29 pm »

8343, w00t! :D That means that I could write nothing in the next two days and still be on par. Not that I would want to, seeing as Friday is no school for me, but whatever  :P

If there are any lurkers out there reading this who are on the fence about NaNo, I encourage to join now while you can still catch up! It's a very rewarding experience and you definitely should give it a try, even if it's only token.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 08:34:11 pm by Un67 »

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2011, 08:37:15 pm »

Well, I did sign up, but still can't think of anything to write.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2011, 08:42:25 pm »

A description of the first character that comes to mind might make for a nice start.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8