Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: USA and the world police - continued from Egypt&Libya thread.  (Read 5181 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
USA and the world police - continued from Egypt&Libya thread.
« on: October 24, 2011, 01:29:29 pm »

This is a thread for people wishing to discuss various aspects of the whole "world police/vigilante" issue as well as the supposed (im)morality of USA.

Continued from:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=76086.msg2706554#new

Go to the thread above if you want to get the gist of the discussion.

The last of the derailing posts is reproduced below by the man himself.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:01:21 am by Il Palazzo »

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Re: USA and the world police - continued from Egypt&Lybia thread.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 01:42:09 pm »

Let's just start it fresh without any quote tags. Here we go. (Please note that this was originally posted in the Egypt and Libya thread, and therefore comments about being off topic relate to where it was.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_Scheme_No._1
I knew them Canadians can't be trusted!

@Kogan Lolokham:
*I didn't dismiss your argument, I just pointed out that Churchill was not American. I don't actually feel like providing the links about American Isolationism, or go into an argument about how the Monroe doctrine is an example of early American Imperialism (where providing documentation of American foreign policy leading up to the end of World War 2 would lead) as this expands this already way off topic discussion into new areas that we don't even need to go. I disagree with your view of my statements being emotional pleas, since they aren't emotional to me, but fact. People scream for American Heads. I've watched from a window as a mob of people moved to the gates of the Naval Base in Bahrain, where "Fuk USA Yankee Go Home" was the tamest thing they carried around. That's not the one that sticks out in my mind, though I get a sense of sick humor from the misspelled word. What I recall strongest is being confronted in Dubai airport by someone who just didn't like Americans. Why? I assume because I was sitting like an American, seeing as I didn't buy anything, talk to anyone, or do anything except walk down that long damn hall there and sit down against the wall. Do I care what your emotional response to this is? No. I state clearly and unequivocally that I don't like this. I explained what I didn't like about it, and I also state that regardless of America's actions causing this sort of hatred Globally, I don't think America should release their duty to someone who can't do at least as good of a job. If you want to read that as some kind of emotional play, go ahead. I don't see how me mentioning the exact threat affects the ability of people to view it impartially, but I'll edit it just for you.

Now, addressing that ONE issue, the one you thought I ignored, from asterisk to asterisk, took 313 words. Not ONE involved Egypt or Libya. Was it worth it? I don't think so.

If you wish to take this to private messages or E-mails, I will happily provide all the information I would normally provide. Alternatively, bring this to a place where it is on topic. Going on with even a quarter of what I want to say demonstrating where my information comes from will bloat my posts well past their already large size, which is even more disrespectful to the topic than I am currently being. You have just yourself demonstrated that I do indeed have sources for my information, as you were, probably with very little effort, capable of coming up with a whole set of data which demonstrates what I was saying regarding to the UN peacekeeping force and our role in them. Of course that did happen to be one of the weak points in my data, because countries have been shouldering more and more of the burden as time has gone on.
And no, whomever responds must be a troll or US-hater. Whomever responds with insignificant details like "Oh, you are forgetting about the British aircraft in the battle!" would be the troll and should find something better to do with their time then try to argue that I am forgetting something when it doesn't affect the whole. You arguing that the UN figures are marginal, for example, does not count as this. It is perfectly valid. However, I will agree that that as the US numbers have been decreasing recently, the hatred generated that we are now facing occurred when this was not true. Furthermore, I would argue that while GNP is a nice way to compare information, it isn't the only way. Land Area would also be a way to compare this, but so too could population and Population density. The reality is that the distribution will never be fair, but when a lot of bad press is expressed about UN action, it's always a US troop who is the face because we are associated quite frequently with interventionist actions. If US forces aren't in the area, it is generally ignored. UN Peacekeepers are far from the saints that we wish they were :)

Please quote me speaking for my country. What I say is my own opinion, and (I hope) this opinion is not affected by any government`s propaganda.
Forgive me for accidentally giving the impression I thought your head was contained by a single nation. No, I was implying here that by the arguments you have been using against others, people can accuse you of attempting to speak for the ENTIRE WORLD.

By the way, what are your sources? Where do you get your information?
Include your sources, and then add in archeological evidence, geological evidence, psychological studies and research, propaganda analysis and crosschecking, first hand reports, unclassified documents, personal research, and other places that I cannot recall off the top of my head. I don't restrict myself to things that support my personal views. Even Fox News can be an accurate source of information if you are willing to go the extra mile to do a little fact checking of your own. Exact sources requires exact information of the exact piece of data that I am referencing, and sometimes I don't even remember exactly which book I read it in. I am quick to concede any information I cannot re-verify with at least 30 seconds of searching online and finding at least two sources that are not Wikipedia or referencing it.

Germany, bro?
Nope.  :) Don`t rely on username, it has no sense.
You really disgust me. You claim you hate patriotic sentiments, and the truth is you hate anyone expressing agreement with the AMERICAN government. Any other government you can get along fine with. I could probably express agreement with a genocidal government and you wouldn't think twice, but someone dares to agree with an action the American Government has taken and suddenly they are all nationalistic and patriotic and marching blindly and not able to think for theirselves and deserving of the crap you put out. Not once do you point out an example of what a country SHOULD be doing. You feel free to insult another government's actions as criminal, comparing them to real criminals who have deliberately executed civilians not as an accident, but BECAUSE THEY CAN, and you hide your own nation and insult everyone's intellegence here by pretending you aren't and that it's a misunderstanding. Why, are you so attached to your own nation, so filled with patriotic furver, that you can't stand it's own mistakes being viewed under a microscope? You continue to fail to identify any mistakes that aren't American, and continue to insist your intentions are pure as the snow and that you can separateYou  nations from people. Prove it. State your nation if you feel no responsibility for what they have done in your name. Start finding positive examples of country actions. Find other mistakes besides those of America. You held Libya up as a good nation, for goodness sakes! Libya. Maybe you weren't joking, and maybe my blinders are on in this and that really is you holding up an example of what a nation should be. If so, I pray you never end up in power, because that is not what I want in this world. Diversity yes, tons of Libyas, HELL NO.

I was going to reply with your comment about Operation Dropshot with a quote of your comment on operation Dropshot, but I see people have already dealt with that issue. Of course I don't think you have the capability to study anything regarding Nuclear war or how and why it evolved the way that it did, so it's all a moot point. The US is evil for daring to make plans that could kill millions of potential weapon makers. Oh, that's right, you think they are all innocent. Okay, so the US is evil for planning to use the items that Magically appeared under their control against a nation that also had those magically given items against people who wouldn't have anything to do with a war against the united states even if the United States was at war with the nation they are part of. Very evil indeed.
Okay, to be fair, very few people are actually involved in the fabrication of a Nuclear bomb. Only some miners, some truckers, some refinery/foundry workers, some scientists, and some industrial fabricators. Couldn't be more than one hundred thousand, tops. Probably only around fifty thousand or so. Significantly less when you take the raw materials and transport out of the equation.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 01:45:37 pm by Kogan Loloklam »
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

webber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 01:59:02 pm »

Let me sum this up.

I explained how do I treat American people, but for every possible argument what I get is only "You hate us all, you are wrong".
Though when I read your words, I feel only pity for all American people and horror when I realise how deeply is your mind bound by an ideology that is probably much more dangerous than all dictators` and terrorists` ideas together.
Adequate people can just count the number of direct insults in your and mine posts to understand who is sane.
And yes, I am proud to speak as one of 7 billion citizens of mankind.
Our discussion is over.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 02:03:44 pm »

Well that was a fun little trolling session. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, newbie.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 02:04:45 pm »

Anyone who claims to speak for all of mankind is misguided at best and the idea that American ideology and political culture is more dangerous than all the terrorists and dictators together isn't really even defensible. 
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 02:08:36 pm »

I don't think he's trolling, RedKing. I think he really does think that if I say we should have gone in Iraq when it was clear Saddam had no respect of international sanctions, that I really am arguing that there were Weapons of Mass Destruction there.

I think he has been indoctrinated into hatred of America, instead of Hatred of stupid decisions America has Made. It's hard for many people to separate that in their heads. It's because we are the world police. I still maintain it was the English who thrust us there. Roosevelt's intentions were to get us the heck out of Europe the second WW2 was over. His death and Churchill's desire for the US to maintain a presence for a broader confrontation with Communism put us on the path of becoming world police.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 02:09:17 pm »

Anyone who claims to speak for all of mankind is misguided at best and the idea that American ideology and political culture is more dangerous than all the terrorists and dictators together isn't really even defensible. 
Hail, brother oppressor of the masses! How goes your conquest this day? How's your mighty Subjugation-mobile riding?  :P

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 02:38:29 pm »

To be fair webber never stated that he speaks for mankind. He stated that:
I am proud to speak as one of 7 billion citizens of mankind.
He also said earlier that:
What I say is my own opinion
---
And also Kogan Loloklam can read minds trough internet, judging from the amount of things he knew about webber's opinions that were never stated  :o

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 02:45:57 pm »

When did anti-Americanism become unpopular all the sudden, anyways? It used to be that you couldn't talk to a person outside North America in a pub or whatever without them condemning the USA about Iraq, gun violence, Bush, WWII or 9-11 Truth or whatever. All the same talking points, too, like everybody in Europe had memorized a pamphlet.

Did it become passe all the sudden? I see one non-American trying to hate like a normal non-American and people are actually siding against him.

I'm half tempted to start launching into leftist arguments against the USA just for the sake of argument now.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 02:48:47 pm »

Probably around late 2008, when a certain President named after a shrubbery departed the premises.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 02:57:27 pm »

When did anti-Americanism become unpopular all the sudden, anyways? It used to be that you couldn't talk to a person outside North America in a pub or whatever without them condemning the USA about Iraq, gun violence, Bush, WWII or 9-11 Truth or whatever. All the same talking points, too, like everybody in Europe had memorized a pamphlet.
By "you" you're referring to... who, exactly?  I'm pretty sure I can talk to other people outside of North America without them condemning it.  I mean usually it doesn't even come up.

Did it become passe all the sudden? I see one non-American trying to hate like a normal non-American and people are actually siding against him.
Is this intended to be ironic (making unfair generalisations about people you're claiming are making unfair generalisations)?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 03:20:09 pm »

And also Kogan Loloklam can read minds trough internet, judging from the amount of things he knew about webber's opinions that were never stated  :o
Webber talks about how he hates people who are all "america f- yea!", and then decides to have confrontations with people he percieves that way. His perception seems to me to be based entirely on agreement with anything the US government has ever done. When he is asked for his own country, he gets all elusive and evasive. This evasiveness gives me some opinions on his attitude, and since he decided to grab his ball and go home rather than risk his own country's actions being examined under a microscope, I am convinced it's because he has a lot of nationalistic pride. That, to me, make him identical to those he hates.
I never claim I can read minds, but I can make statements based on my own opinions and actions I perceive.

Is Anti-American statements on the decline? They seem to me to be strong as ever. I'd think the CIA operating predator drones in other nations to assassinate targets would be sure of that.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 04:19:08 pm »

It's because we are the world police. I still maintain it was the English who thrust us there. Roosevelt's intentions were to get us the heck out of Europe the second WW2 was over. His death and Churchill's desire for the US to maintain a presence for a broader confrontation with Communism put us on the path of becoming world police.
I fail to see this connection.
Getting involved in the Cold War with the Soviet Union was a political decision of the government of the United States, and in no way did it make the US a world police. Not any more than it made so the USSR at least.
There already is such an institution, and it's the UN. However imperfect it might be, it's the closest we've got to apolitical conflict-prevention force.
I really don't recollect having the world give USA(or any other single state) any right to unilaterally act as an additional one.
I do remember Mr Y's analysis from not-so-long ago in their National Strategic Narrative of where does this belief of being one come from.

Webber talks about how he hates people who are all "america f- yea!", and then decides to have confrontations with people he percieves that way. His perception seems to me to be based entirely on agreement with anything the US government has ever done. When he is asked for his own country, he gets all elusive and evasive. This evasiveness gives me some opinions on his attitude, and since he decided to grab his ball and go home rather than risk his own country's actions being examined under a microscope, I am convinced it's because he has a lot of nationalistic pride. That, to me, make him identical to those he hates.
I never claim I can read minds, but I can make statements based on my own opinions and actions I perceive.
Dude, what's with this insistence on arguing from nationalistic viewpoint? How and why knowing from which one country a person is weighs here at all? Why must this be a "whose country is better" competition? Would webber being Pakistani or Eritrean add or dertact from the merits of his argumentation? Would him being American help condemn or justify USA?
This conversation is and was about the US policies regarding overseas military involvement, not US citizens, yet you consistently take every one of webber's arguments as a personal attack against yourself and your compatriots.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 04:38:11 pm »

The USA is the world police because nobody else is able to do it, let alone willing to replace them.

Why the need for a world police? Because you'll have situations that will spiral out of control if left to a indecisive alliance of would-be-enforcers like the League of Nations in the 1930's or the UN as it is today.

Without the US and its diplomatic, economic and military supremacy backing it up, the United Nations and NATO would be basically powerless.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 04:49:46 pm »

Probably around late 2008, when a certain President named after a shrubbery departed the premises.
sady obama and his way of doing thing just doesnt give the same level of snafs and garfs

most people dont hate Americans as a group but hate the acts of the u.s. government
the attitude of "america f- yea!" and chanting USA USA, can be dehumanizing like a mass of brown shirts chanting Sieg Heil.
yes your not nazis but the image can be seen to be the same from the out side in the same way, a group give to an ideology
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: [1] 2 3