Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Great RNG Names You've Gotten  (Read 43321 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: Great RNG Names You've Gotten
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2013, 03:34:08 pm »

The name generator in LCS draws on a large and diverse list of names, each included for one or more of several reasons:

1. Names common in the US, to make it familiar.
2. Names rare in the US, to make it exotic.
3. Names with distinctive cultural connotations, to make it diverse.
4. Names of famous or infamous people, to make it funny.
5. Names that are just kind of cool or badass, to make it awesome.

Obviously this pretty much includes every possible name except random garbage nonsense, which is one of the strengths of the generator. But intentionally including all of these ensures that they all come up as it generates more names. A less intentional name list would mostly just have familiar names, maybe a few famous people, or a few culturally diverse names. LCS intentionally feels like it's a real grab bag from any name you might see in the US, including new names you've probably never heard before but can easily believe are real.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2013, 04:18:07 pm »

Hey Fox, just how many names are in the first/last name generators?
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2013, 04:27:15 pm »

Hey Fox, just how many names are in the first/last name generators?

777 first names and 830 last names. The first names are divided into separate tables by gender.

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2013, 05:48:42 pm »

I've always thought it would neat if names would be weighed differently depending on the immigration issue.

When immigration laws are conservative, European names like John Smith would be more common, while liberal immigration policies would lead to the player seeing more diversified names like Akira Santiago.
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2013, 08:16:26 pm »

I've always thought it would neat if names would be weighed differently depending on the immigration issue.

When immigration laws are conservative, European names like John Smith would be more common, while liberal immigration policies would lead to the player seeing more diversified names like Akira Santiago.

And once gay or women's rights got liberal enough the gender lines would become more blurred, and some characters would have names from the other gender's list.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Inico

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2013, 03:11:40 am »

So I was in prison, and as I released a liberal convict, he entered my party. Nick Hogan, punk. I swear I would've rolled laughing if everybody in here was not sleeping.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2013, 04:47:07 am »

I just Liberalized the country with CCS and Nightmare. The leader was called... Max Gore. Needless to say, things got pretty violent (especially once I Enlightened a couple of CCS Lieutenants to my main squad).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2013, 06:57:04 am »

I don't know of their in there but the first names "Sam" and "Dean" need to be in there, as well as the last name "Winchester."
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2013, 08:58:55 am »

I don't know of their in there but the first names "Sam" and "Dean" need to be in there, as well as the last name "Winchester."

Sam and Winchester are in, but Dean is absent.

If you're interested (and don't mind scrolling down), the list of names in the game can be found here: http://sourceforge.net/p/lcsgame/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/src/creature/creaturenames.cpp
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2013, 08:11:14 pm »

My civ's founding Group:  the Blue metals 8)
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Ihlosi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2013, 01:03:48 am »

Got "Harry Obama" as the arch-conservative president at the start of a game.

I guess there needs to be a "great white male patriarch" list of last names in addition to the appropriate list of first names.

TheGrifter93

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2013, 07:56:31 pm »

Why isn't Manson in the RNG? How else am I to form the Manson Family besides cheating and renaming them?

fakechuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2013, 06:44:14 pm »

My great leader: Jesus Powers.  He died by being stabbed through the body with a pitchfork by a Hick.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2013, 03:42:11 am »

I got Paul McCarthy as  my founder. I made him a master musician.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2013, 03:17:25 pm »

Oh god. Oh god. Oh god.

Was just busting some new recruits out from prison, as I'm frantically arming everyone with weapons prised from dead guards and cops and shuffling the squad around to conserve rifle ammo, I look more closely at their names...

I was going to post in here but then I saw this. I mean, the only name I can think of more awesome than John Winchester is Samuel Winchester! (Supernatural)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9