- 12 (4.7%)
Purple
- 10 (3.9%)
Magenta
- 4 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Voting closed: January 02, 2012, 10:26:09 pm

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Favourite construction colour  (Read 6159 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite construction colour
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2011, 12:30:16 am »

Ninjaed, while checking my research, ah well...

Well, Kimberlite IRL (as well as in DF) is prime[1] Diamond-bearing volcanic rock.  It's backhistory of formation in DF, I'm not too sure about, but here on Roundworld it comes from relatively deep streams of source material.  It is named for/found at Kimberly in South Africa.  Obviously Dwarves have either another reason for calling it that[2], or else it's just translated for our benefit and actually named Irsashasid[3] but for our benefit Toady has deigned to completely translate it to terms we would best understand.

[1] Last I heard, a whopping 0.5% of known Earthly Kimberlite formations contain diamonds.  So not exactly guaranteed. :)

[2] Hmm... maybe originally "Äkimberlitez", or "Brilliant Earth Sourcerer", for the way shiny gems appear, as if by magic, when mining through it..

[3] After the mining settlement of Irsashas, previously a goblin place called something unpronouncable involving throat-destroying based vowels!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2011, 01:26:37 am »

I like cyan, myself, but unfortunately spore tree isn't very valuable, clear glass is usually too much work to mass-produce, and lay pewter contains lead, which I try to avoid the use of except as elves' goblets, and lots of tin, which I prefer to use for bronze. Ideally, though, I'd make all of my furniture out of spore tree and clear glass. Also, it turns out that clear glass windows look really nice in Stonesense on the sides of towers or other wide-open spaces, so it's good for that, too.

For main building materials, I prefer white, usually flux stone. The fact that dark-colored furniture (such as spore tree beds  :D) shows up well against it is nice, it makes a good contrast with most decorative features I put in like lakes and open spaces, and just generally looks nice.

Since I sort of dislike how workshops look in cyan, I actually prefer to build those out of black materials like obsidian or steel, so dark grey is my third color choice.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

automaticsquid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2011, 02:45:51 am »

i recently embarked on a ton of bauxite and i really love the color of it and my great blood red pyramid

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2011, 03:24:25 am »

In a  40d megaproject (currently in savefile stasis, never having been completed...  must revisit it) had the beginnings[1] of pyramids and obelisks whose tips I had made (in line with pyramids of Egypt) electrum stand-alone ramps for their tips.

If I was building them from scratch, something like sandstone blocks, lined (except for that aforementioned tip) limestone ramp sides would probably be my order of the day.  Although I admit that you're being intrinsically more dwarfy.

[1] Top first, as all but the tips were going to be bedrock, not construction, the open space being mined out around.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]