Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should the second part of the dictionary remain in this thread, or get it's own? Also, HA NO MORE ELVES TO VOTE FOR.

Yeshz (new thread)
No (spread amongst posts)
Rethread (New thread, with reserved posts).

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Etymology - Axeford Dorfish Dictionary  (Read 48644 times)

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Etymology - Axeford Dorfish Dictionary
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2011, 04:42:21 pm »

I'm not talking about mass energy equivalence, I'm talking about creating energy out of nothing:P

I don't think "form" implies creation out of nothing. When you form a cup out of clay, that doesn't mean you summon the cup into being from the ether.
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2011, 05:02:17 pm »

The sun doesn't form light, it releases energy in the form of thermal radiation and light energy from nuclear fission...
WHO GIVES A DAMN.
You did say you might make a literal dictionary... Might as well make it literal :P
I didn't say it was going to be COMPLETELY literal, mind ye.

I'm causing this:
Code: [Select]
Original post
------------------>
T   D     |
h   i     |
r   r     |
e   e     |
a   c     |
d   t     |
    i     V
    o
    n
If you can see what I'm going for...

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2011, 09:16:54 pm »

Giant Serrated Disc:
N.
1. A metallic disc with serrated edges. Whilst humans saw use in it for neatly sawing lumber into neat even logs, dwarves saw a much more productive purpose for it. i.e. sawing goblins and elves into neat, even chunks. It has been toted the greatest dwarven invention since the anvil and *Sugar Roasts*. This is due to the fact dwarves discovered that while murdering greenskin and treehuggers with an axe is certainly enjoyable, watching them die while you eat a plump helmet and sugar roast in your private dining room is much more higher on the pleasure meter.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2011, 09:21:23 pm »

Giant Serrated Disc:
N.
1. A metallic disc with serrated edges. Whilst humans saw use in it for neatly sawing lumber into neat even logs, dwarves saw a much more productive purpose for it. i.e. sawing goblins and elves into neat, even chunks. It has been toted the greatest dwarven invention since the anvil and *Sugar Roasts*. This is due to the fact dwarves discovered that while murdering greenskin and treehuggers with an axe is certainly enjoyable, watching them die while you eat a plump helmet and sugar roast in your private dining room is much more higher on the pleasure meter.
2. The most efficient method of blood extraction, when combined with a pit.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2011, 07:49:29 am »

Quote from: zzedar
I don't think "form" implies creation out of nothing. When you form a cup out of clay, that doesn't mean you summon the cup into being from the ether.

The what now...?
Form-

1. To become formed or shaped.
2. To come into being by taking form; arise.
3. To assume a specified form, shape, or pattern.

Well you'd be right in most other circumstances, if it weren't for the syntax of it all >_>
That or I'm also thinking too hard about it ;]

Quote from: UristMcHuman link

I'm causing this:
Original post
------------------>
T   D     |
h   i     |
r   r     |
e   e     |
a   c     |
d   t     |
    i     V
    o
    n

I have a horrific half formed image of an eldritch abomination made out of ASCII creating alternate timelines within an earthworm. Don't ask.

Giant Serrated Disc:
N.
2. The most efficient method of blood extraction, when combined with a pit.

The Large Serrated disc will be added :D
*Surprised I haven't already, referenced it at least 4 times in the dictionary already >_>
Oh and welcome back Necro! (Un)-Surprisingly, you are apparently considered a bay12 meme by 27/40 forumites ._.
Well, welcome to the dictionary... MUAH HA HA HA HA HA.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2011, 08:00:25 am »

Please, turn ">Continued in other posts<" into link.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2011, 08:17:29 am »

Spoiler: Pump (stack) (click to show/hide)

Sorry to nag, but I think you mean the centripetal force, there is no such thing as "the centrifugal force", it is the the centrifugal effect, I can explain why if I really have to but a quick look on the internet or a dictionary will prove it. It's a very common (and annoying) misconception, which as a !!Physics!! student, really bugs me.
Also, should we add to this entery, something about that human Archemedes who blatently stole designs for this marvel of dwarven !!Engeneering!!?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2011, 08:27:39 am »

Spoiler: Pump (stack) (click to show/hide)

I am a bouse, and I think you mean the centripetal force, there is no such thing as "the centrifugal force", it is the the centrifugal effect. I can explain why if I really have too, but you'd be better off taking a quick look on the internet or I WILL BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN WITH THE !!PHYSICS!!. It's a very common (and annoying) misconception, which as a !!Physics!! student, really bugs me.
Also, add to this entry, something about that human Archemedes who blatently stole designs for this marvel of dwarven !!Engeneering!!?

Ftfy. Or ftfm. Also fyg.

M_M

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2011, 01:45:35 pm »

Quote from: UristMcHuman link

I'm causing this:
Original post
------------------>
T   D     |
h   i     |
r   r     |
e   e     |
a   c     |
d   t     |
    i     V
    o
    n

I have a horrific half formed image of an eldritch abomination made out of ASCII creating alternate timelines within an earthworm. Don't ask.
Same here.

Oh and welcome back Necro! (Un)-Surprisingly, you are apparently considered a bay12 meme by 27/40 forumites ._.
Well, welcome to the dictionary... MUAH HA HA HA HA HA.
Dankeshoen! And I figured out why I had extreme votes in my first thread that I made and then nearly no votes in my second. I found out reddit was conspiring against me and my Illuminati assimilation plot meme status. Thankfully this poll ended before reddit caught another wiff of it ;D

Also, the proper format for the chorus of iron blood is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Update please  :)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2011, 02:12:29 pm »

Quote from: The god of politics
Should the second part of the dictionary remain in this thread, or get it's own?
 Yeshz (new thread)
 >Abstain< *By not voting, elves win.
What about option 4 - rethreading so you can reserve several posts at the front?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2011, 06:05:01 pm »

Quote from: Loud Whispers, the god of Awesome doors
Should the second part of the dictionary remain in this thread, or get it's own?
 Yeshz (new thread)
 >Abstain< *By not voting, elves win.
What about option 4 - rethreading so you can reserve several posts at the front?

Haven't thought about that, REPOLL!
[Mainly because someone voted for elves again >:(]

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2011, 07:54:13 pm »

Awww..
No Hammerer article?
Anyways...

Engraving
N.
Engraver.
1. One who engraves words or images into solid material, whether for art or for record keepings. 2. The local graffiti artists in the fort. When not passed out in a pile of vomit and low-quality beer, strange moods being higher than a kite on rat weed, or munching on plump helmet biscuits, they can be seen giggling softly while scratching crude interpretations of cheese and dying dwarves on the walls.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 20, 2011, 09:16:22 pm »

It's close to unanimous. :D
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #148 on: November 20, 2011, 10:01:16 pm »

It's close to unanimous. :D

I'll wait for a few hundred more votes... Or at least till the poll god's hunger has been satisfied.

OH NUBURUH! I OFFER YOU THESE VOTES!

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 20, 2011, 11:36:42 pm »

Etymology suggestion time!

Suns and other stars in dwarf fortress are actually ex dwarf-inhabited worlds that progressed so far in technology that water wheels could function on the molecular level. When the first of these nano-water wheels was clustered together and used to power endless amounts of millstones, the unprecedented amount of excess power caused the water molecules to turn into a plasma state and fuse together in the immediate area. When the power was suddenly cut off in this event, the amount of job cancellation messages caused planck time to increase and polarise all of the atoms in the world. The mass-defect energy of the previous fusion reaction, now unabated by its containment, turned the entire planet into a huge sphere of constantly fusing and splitting atoms in a matter of days (a few seconds in relative 'conventional' planck time due to job cancellations).
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12