Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should the second part of the dictionary remain in this thread, or get it's own? Also, HA NO MORE ELVES TO VOTE FOR.

Yeshz (new thread)
No (spread amongst posts)
Rethread (New thread, with reserved posts).

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Etymology - Axeford Dorfish Dictionary  (Read 48755 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Dwarf Etymology - Axeford Dorfish Dictionary
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 08:16:51 pm »

Agh, accidentally deleted B :(
*Edit, fixed it, was just spoiler problems. *Also, is there any way to spoiler spoilers?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 08:19:29 pm by Loud Whispers »

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 08:19:10 pm »

!!CHEMISTRY!!

Dwarven potential for alchemy that will bring about the destruction of all things. Undiscovered branch of !!SCIENCE!!.

!!BIOLOGY!!

Weaponisation of innocent living things. Guilty living things are often weaponised as well. Branch of !!SCIENCE!!.

While I'm at it, how does one make double !'s on one character? I'm not familiar with unicode.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 08:21:12 pm by Muttonhawk »
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 08:22:11 pm »

You cannot spoiler spoilers.    ‼  is the double mark symbol. No idea how to make it, use copy paste. Unicode information here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 08:23:07 pm »

!!CHEMISTRY!!

Dwarven potential for alchemy that will bring about the destruction of all things. Undiscovered branch of !!SCIENCE!!.

!!BIOLOGY!!

Weaponisation of innocent living things. Guilty living things are often weaponised as well. Branch of !!SCIENCE!!.

While I'm at it, how does one make double !'s on one character? I'm not familiar with unicode.
I just put 2 !!'s next to each other, also I think the weaponisation to doomsday description covers this ;P
(Except the alchemy part of course)

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 08:25:30 pm »

You cannot spoiler spoilers.    ‼  is the double mark symbol. No idea how to make it, use copy paste. Unicode information here.

Cheers broo

On the theme of ‼SCIENCE‼:

Urist

1. Dwarven word for dagger, a very common name
2. Standard dwarven increment of measurement, most commonly temperature, but can be used to describe distance (Uristmeters) among other things.

Capybara

A large rodent, secretly the masters of the universe, it is them who decides who lives and who dies while Armok is on the toilet.

Construction

Article of dwarven architecture made out of almost any material (including soap), made immune to destruction by periodic additions of beard hair during construction. The hair serves as incredibly strong rebar, rendering the construction immune to heat, damp, corrosion, dissolution or demolition.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 08:39:49 pm by Muttonhawk »
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 08:31:03 pm »

Kobold
1. A small, squat humanoid with large pointy ears and yellow glowing eyes. 2. A group of universally hated kleptomaniacs who are too stupid to feed themselves cute, innocent sentients.Their severe mental retardation neverending curiousity makes them embark on suicidal trips wondrous adventures in hopes of finding XXTroll Leather ThongXX fantastic treasure.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 08:36:39 pm by Mrhappyface »
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 08:50:53 pm »

You don't need unicode to type ‼ since it is part of the ASCII code.  On windows machines, hold alt and then type the character code (in this case 19) on your numpad.  If you wanted to use unicode to type the character, you'd need to jump through a few more hoops.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 08:57:01 pm »

Booze
Noun
1. An organic compound in which the hydroxyl functional group (-OH) is bound to a carbon atom, usually connected to other carbon or hydrogen atoms. 2. A miraculous substance that allows dwarves to work for weeks without food or water, allows them to ignore pain (physical and emotional) as long as there is an abundant and diverse amount of it,  gives them the courage to fight horrors from beyond the veil of time and space, and allows them to forget that their biscuits are made from kitten brains and puppy eyes.
Note: Due to such high alcohol consumption, Dwarven blood is slightly more than 100 proof, making it roughly on par with Wild Turkey.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 09:07:15 pm by Mrhappyface »
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 09:09:53 pm »

The carp entry spoiler ate the cat entry.  Appropriate, but likely needs to be fixed.

Pump Stack

Noun
1. Space efficient was of bring fluids up multiple z levels using multiple pumps.  Can lead to Fun if not designed properly.
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 09:13:05 pm »

The carp entry spoiler ate the cat entry.  Appropriate, but likely needs to be fixed.

Pump Stack

Noun
1. Space efficient was of bring fluids up multiple z levels using multiple pumps.  Can lead to Fun if not designed properly.

Fixed! There really needs to be a better bb code system.
Then again, bb codes weren't meant for Dorfinaries.....

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 09:17:31 pm »

Finished Goods
Noun
1. Items processed from raw materials. 2. Useless shit made from leftover rockProducts of Dwarven Igenuity created from only the finest materials sold to sleazy con artists merchants at magma reasonable prices.

Boost One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 09:42:46 pm »

Laptop has not numeric keypad and I accidentally my desktop. :(

Fun - See "Losing" below.

Losing - See "Fun" above.

Winning - See "Losing" above.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2011, 09:58:58 pm »

Trader- Noun
Any collection of sentient beings who arrive with beasts of burden.  They are a source of a small amount of useful items as well as entire crates of worthless stuff.

Broker
Any Dwarf with a strange affliction causing him to fall into a hibernation state the instant he smells approaching traders.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Harry959

• Bay Watcher
  • Anti-Flanking Bomber Goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2011, 10:04:11 pm »

I always thought the double exclamation points meant something's on fire.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2011, 10:17:52 pm »

I always thought the double exclamation points meant something's on fire.

It does. Dwarven science for example is !!SCIENCE!! because it's often on fire.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12