Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Megabeasts Made of SALT?  (Read 1778 times)

Faeryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Megabeasts Made of SALT?
« on: October 27, 2011, 05:31:13 am »

I'm sure this is a regular occurrence in Dwarf Fortress, but my question is, can I beat this thing easily with a full squad of legendary soldiers?
Give them a nice trap gauntlet to run, maybe a "dodge-me" trap over a 10-z pit lined with menacing copper spikes, so they explode into greasy goblin gibs on impact and leave the lovely iron bits for your dwarves to collect at leisure.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Megabeasts Made of SALT?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 05:38:26 am »

Just drown it :P
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 05:46:16 am »

Is it just "salt" or "rock salt"?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 07:09:40 am »

More important than the material it is made from: does it have the ability to casue syndrome/illness, or a dust attack? Those will prove to be much more dangerous.
This is a blank sig.

Faeryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 08:41:33 am »

It turned out to be pretty easy to kill. I didn't check of this stuff, just sent in the soldiers and they dispatched it quickly.
Give them a nice trap gauntlet to run, maybe a "dodge-me" trap over a 10-z pit lined with menacing copper spikes, so they explode into greasy goblin gibs on impact and leave the lovely iron bits for your dwarves to collect at leisure.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 09:00:42 am »

You should've killed it in your kitchen :D

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 11:45:54 am »

I'd like to capture a salt creature and then toss it in a pit with some slugmen and watch the action.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 06:51:10 pm »

Salt does not have any special properties in Dwarf Fortress, aside from making water undrinkable. Beasts made of salt tend to be extremely fragile due to salt (and other materials such as mud, water, ash, and grime) not having proper physical properties (such as shear/impact resilience) and instead using placeholder values for all of them.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.