Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Vampire dwarves moving faster than their brethren...  (Read 13903 times)

kragnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • !!noble!! is the most noble of all.
    • View Profile
Vampire dwarves moving faster than their brethren...
« on: October 26, 2011, 08:15:18 am »

I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd be staking a dwarf moving stone and digging faster than his brothers.

I think I'd promote him to chief miner and send him to open up caverns at the front of the forgotten beast brigade.

=D

Does the fortress die if all our dwarfs turn into vampires?  Because if not, I think I'd purposely find out the vampire, get him to bleed in some communal water source and make all the other dwarfs drink tainted vampire water.  Instant super fortress right there. :D

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire dwarves moving faster than their brethren...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 08:26:27 am »

Vampire dwarves? What the hell is this crap!? Do you know how UGLY those would be?

Let's see...Dwarves...Short, bearded, filthy, smelly, huge noses, bugs in their hair....
And vampires...Gaunt, pale, no hair whatsoever, skin stretched extra tight over the body, big fangs and generally naked.

With our powers combined, we are Dwarvampire! The ugliest creature in existence! Plus, they sparkle!...

I don't know what you think a vampire looks like, but I know, I've fought them. Think of a hairless bat, in a human body. With a face that looks like an obese dude just crapped out a pile of extra-spicy tacos. They would be so hideous! AAARGH!!!

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 08:46:09 am »

Also how the justice works with vampires: good chance we will be abusing it to get rid of nobles.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 09:48:55 am »

Vampire dwarves? What the hell is this crap!? Do you know how UGLY those would be?

Let's see...Dwarves...Short, bearded, filthy, smelly, huge noses, bugs in their hair....
And vampires...Gaunt, pale, no hair whatsoever, skin stretched extra tight over the body, big fangs and generally naked.

With our powers combined, we are Dwarvampire! The ugliest creature in existence! Plus, they sparkle!...

I don't know what you think a vampire looks like, but I know, I've fought them. Think of a hairless bat, in a human body. With a face that looks like an obese dude just crapped out a pile of extra-spicy tacos. They would be so hideous! AAARGH!!!

I have never heard of that sort of vampire, what, what, where does this description come from? Anecdotal evidence doesn't count in this court of law, you know.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

kragnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • !!noble!! is the most noble of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 09:58:41 am »

Having a vampire noble might be useful for acquiring vampire blood...

Though I don't know how you get blood out of magma once the noble problem is solved...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 10:18:56 am »

In real life, we have witch hunts.
In Dwarf Fortress, we have vampire hunts.

In real life, witch hunts are aimed at the outcasts and misunderstood on the edge of society.
In Dwarf Fortress, vampire hunts are aimed at the most powerful and esteemed members of society.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 10:43:34 am »

In real life, we have witch hunts.
In Dwarf Fortress, we have vampire hunts.

In real life, witch hunts are aimed at the outcasts and misunderstood on the edge of society.
In Dwarf Fortress, vampire hunts are aimed at the most powerful and esteemed members of society.

It depends on the area. Some of the time Witch hunts were used as tools of disposing people you didn't like (Such as the French Witch Hunts I hear, which were used as an anti-feminist tactic I hear).

Actually I am starting to feel like that with few exceptions the Witch hunts were ways of forcing the status quo, as it would explain the majority of witchhunts. (Salem was caused by panic from what could be described as an almost supernatural event. Though today we believe it was caused by Rye poisoning from the wet weather)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 12:11:22 pm »

Think of a hairless bat, in a human body.

Hairless bat?
Hmm.
They look like this.

Doesn't seem that ugly to me.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 01:01:47 pm »

faster vampires or not, now dorfs will be able to lie to your sheriff and falsely accuse those they hate of being vampíres!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 01:32:52 pm »

Think of a hairless bat, in a human body.

Hairless bat?
Hmm.
They look like this.

Doesn't seem that ugly to me.

This. Without the hair. Wrinkle and tighten the skin, elongate the face, and kinda pointy ears. That's a vampire. I don't know what kind of fantasy setting that you get your vampires from, but where I get it, they are freakin' scary.

Ohh, wait, your vampires are more of the "Sparkly, sexy suave and macho lady-charmers", right? The kind of gentlemanly vampires that'll go down on a girl having a period.

Something else: The TinyPic captcha was "XVII oCours". Why does that make me think of final fantasy? Hmm...FF17: "New 3D graphics!"...

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 01:51:32 pm »

Ohh, wait, your vampires are more of the "Sparkly, sexy suave and macho lady-charmers", right? The kind of gentlemanly vampires that'll go down on a girl having a period.
My mental image of vampires is based on Dracula from the book. Kind of creepy looking, but he was still able to pass as a human.
And also was a noble.

If vampires looked like bat-demons all the time, they would never be able to fool anyone without spamming illusions or mind tricks.

[edit:]
Hmm... A random though occurred.
There are bat based vampires and the occasional mosquito-based vampire, but it would be really creepy/awesome to have a spider based vampire.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 01:53:24 pm by EveryZig »
Soaplent green is goblins!

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 02:12:31 pm »

My mental image of vampires is based on Dracula from the book. Kind of creepy looking, but he was still able to pass as a human.
And also was a noble.

If vampires looked like bat-demons all the time, they would never be able to fool anyone without spamming illusions or mind tricks.

[edit:]
Hmm... A random though occurred.
There are bat based vampires and the occasional mosquito-based vampire, but it would be really creepy/awesome to have a spider based vampire.

Well, as long as your vampires are decently ghoulish, I can stop my raving. But I must say, "Ordinary" vampires (Moreso ghouls than anything else) are how I described. Pureblood vampires, the Nosferatu are as you described. If a Vampire drains a living, non-virgin human of it's blood, it becomes a ghoul. Ghouls will generally be subservient to the Vampire, acting on it's whim with little thoughts of their own. But, when a Vampire drinks the blood of a virgin, and gives them their blood, then they become a Nosferatu, or one of the "True Vampires." A good example is why a lot of fiction has child vampires, due to their pure blood. Still, if a Nosferatu fully drains even a virgin human, without giving some of it's blood itself, they become a ghoul.

Bram Stoker's (Or whatever his name is) "Dracula" is a good description of a Nosferatu. Powerful and deceitful, they lust for the life of the living and have control of the dead and dark magic.

Explanation good?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 02:30:58 pm »

Pfff. Virgins. What nonsense. Vampires in my mind are more like the original eastern european ones. Dead people come back to haunt the living. They look like a dead person before any rotting has occurred; gaunt and pale, but otherwise normal.

They suck the blood out of victims, but if the victim survives, they will rise as a free vampire (none of this subservience nonsense). If the victim dies... that's it. There's no unusual post-death events, and a vampire can be killed by staking, sunlight or beheading. They can be rendered impotent by nailing them to their coffinbeds, placing a heavy stone cross above them, or tying them down with garlic. Things soaked in holy water or garlic will hold and hurt them.

As for powers, they're generally capable of making people really suggestible (broker, anyone?), feats of great strength and speed, and turning themselves into bats and wolves.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 02:36:15 pm »

Haven't you ever played Aetolia or Oblivion? Just think of a pale skinned stout dwarf with red sunken in eyes and chestnut hair. I heard vampiric dwarves mine with their bare hands and favor wine over ale.

The most important thing vampiric dwarves will serve is drinking all that blood the caravans bring. Combined with their increased speed and strength they'll be the most valuable citizens of any fortress, as long as other dwarves find them 'socially acceptable'.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 02:41:31 pm »

Rowanas...Those are some very strange vampires you have there. I guess that's generic fantasy for you, though. Quite bland and tasteless, if I may say so myself. Everybody has their own version of monsters, I guess that those are yours.

@Tolka: Yes, I've played Oblivion. And that game is a horrible explanation on Vampires. Even when biting and draining the life out of humans, they don't turn to the side of the undead. Never heard of Aetolia...As I had said previously in this post, we all have our own conceptions (Wording?) of things.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5