Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Vampire dwarves moving faster than their brethren...  (Read 13901 times)

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire dwarves moving faster than their brethren...
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 03:16:49 pm »

If the next version gives us the ability to create vampire "breeds", how long will it take for some one to mod in DF style vampire courts?

Also
Rowanas...Those are some very strange vampires you have there. I guess that's generic fantasy for you, though. Quite bland and tasteless, if I may say so myself. Everybody has their own version of monsters, I guess that those are yours.

This is pure sarcasm or utter idiocy. I am not sure which one is more amusing.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 03:21:41 pm »

If the next version gives us the ability to create vampire "breeds", how long will it take for some one to mod in DF style vampire courts?

Also
Rowanas...Those are some very strange vampires you have there. I guess that's generic fantasy for you, though. Quite bland and tasteless, if I may say so myself. Everybody has their own version of monsters, I guess that those are yours.

This is pure sarcasm or utter idiocy. I am not sure which one is more amusing.

Oh, it's definitely stupidity.

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 03:33:03 pm »

All this talk of which vampire is the true is moot. Besides the fact there is none, as they don't exist, DF's vampires will have a good number of its traits (tolerance of the sun for example) randomly generated.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 03:36:08 pm »

All this talk of which vampire is the true is moot. Besides the fact there is none, as they don't exist, DF's vampires will have a good number of its traits (tolerance of the sun for example) randomly generated.

DF Vampires should have randomized strengths and weaknesses. A super strong, fast-healing clawed vampire that's also kinda slow and burns when touching water? Heh. I would prefer werewolves though. Er, Weredorfs, I guess. Armok knows they have enough hair as it is already!

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 03:53:28 pm »

I would prefer werewolves though. Er, Weredorfs, I guess. Armok knows they have enough hair as it is already!
Dwarves that...transform into dwarves during the full moon?  ???

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 04:29:29 pm »

I would prefer werewolves though. Er, Weredorfs, I guess. Armok knows they have enough hair as it is already!

No, dwarves that transform into men during the full moon.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 04:46:37 pm »

No, dwarves that transform into men during the full moon.

Following the convention, wouldn't it be men that transform into dorfs?
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

RedMattis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 05:03:02 pm »

Well, as long as your vampires are decently ghoulish, I can stop my raving. But I must say, "Ordinary" vampires (Moreso ghouls than anything else) are how I described. Pureblood vampires, the Nosferatu are as you described. If a Vampire drains a living, non-virgin human of it's blood, it becomes a ghoul. Ghouls will generally be subservient to the Vampire, acting on it's whim with little thoughts of their own. But, when a Vampire drinks the blood of a virgin, and gives them their blood, then they become a Nosferatu, or one of the "True Vampires." A good example is why a lot of fiction has child vampires, due to their pure blood. Still, if a Nosferatu fully drains even a virgin human, without giving some of it's blood itself, they become a ghoul.

Bram Stoker's (Or whatever his name is) "Dracula" is a good description of a Nosferatu. Powerful and deceitful, they lust for the life of the living and have control of the dead and dark magic.

Explanation good?
Hm... sounds an awful lot like vampires from the anime Hellsing.

Regardless, most traditional vampires were either walking blood-drinking corpses, many variants were said to be ~weaker~ than a healthy human man, and thus only able to feed on sleeping or helpless victims.

Other variants had shape-shifting powers or other superhuman abilities, such as unnatural strength.

Most vampires were killed by fire, beheading or nailing the corpse to the coffin (with iron nails or a stake for example). Most vampires were nocturnal (Bram Stoker's Dracula included) but were not actually harmed by sunlight, although possibly weakened. Burning in sunlight is something Hollywood made up when they created "Nosferatu" after being denied the use of Dracula for their movie.

Nosferatu likely comes from the greek word "nosophoros" which means "disease bearer". Bram Stooker thought it meant "not dead", but no proof of prior use like that has been found to my knowledge.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 06:44:52 pm by RedMattis »

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2011, 05:36:47 pm »

Well, as long as your vampires are decently ghoulish, I can stop my raving. But I must say, "Ordinary" vampires (Moreso ghouls than anything else) are how I described. Pureblood vampires, the Nosferatu are as you described. If a Vampire drains a living, non-virgin human of it's blood, it becomes a ghoul. Ghouls will generally be subservient to the Vampire, acting on it's whim with little thoughts of their own. But, when a Vampire drinks the blood of a virgin, and gives them their blood, then they become a Nosferatu, or one of the "True Vampires." A good example is why a lot of fiction has child vampires, due to their pure blood. Still, if a Nosferatu fully drains even a virgin human, without giving some of it's blood itself, they become a ghoul.

Bram Stoker's (Or whatever his name is) "Dracula" is a good description of a Nosferatu. Powerful and deceitful, they lust for the life of the living and have control of the dead and dark magic.

Explanation good?
Hm... sounds an awful lot like vampires from the anime Hellsing.

Regardless, most traditional vampires were either walking blood-drinking corpses, many variants were said to be ~weaker~ than a healthy human man, and thus only able to feed on sleeping or helpless victims.

Other variants had shape-shifting powers or other superhuman abilities, such as unnatural strength.

Most vampires were killed by fire, beheading or nailing the corpse to the coffin (with iron nails or a stake for example). Most vampires were nocturnal (Bram Stoker's Dracula included) but were not actually harmed by sunlight, although possible weakened. Burning in sunlight is something Hollywood made up when they created "Nosferatu" after being denied the use of Dracula for their movie.

Nosferatu likely comes from the greek word "nosophoros" which means "disease bearer". Bram Stooker thought it meant "not dead", but no proof of prior use like that has been found to my knowledge.

So that I can get back to my Fortress, in one word: Yes. You're more right than I was, but meh. Oh, and now that I think about it, you're right...It IS similar to Hellsing. I haven't seen that in ages though...Wonder if a new OVA came out?

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2011, 06:54:59 pm »

Bram Stoker's Dracula will forever be my basis for the vampire.
I like the suggestion that vampire dwarves would drink all that blood the caravans bring.

"Say there, Urist, is that strawberry wine yer drinkin' there?"
"Uhh, sure.  Yeah.  Nothing suspicious about strawberry wine."
"Love me a good swig o' strawberry wine, that I do.  Mind sharin' it?"
"No way!  It's, uh, medical.  Yeah, for, uh, for me solipsism."
"Oh.  That sounds pretty serious.  I'll leave ye to that, then."
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 06:56:26 pm »

-wrong thread- snip
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 07:50:29 pm »

I like the suggestion that vampire dwarves would drink all that blood the caravans bring.

Was Dracula called a vampire in Dracula?

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 08:11:43 pm »

Was Dracula called a vampire in Dracula?

I want to say "yes, obviously," but I can't actually remember.  I know van Helsing definitely makes reference to the vampire bat when describing Dracula.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 10:48:13 pm »

Concerning the transformation, I liked the idea of a vampire having to drain someone entirely dry of their blood before filling them with vampire blood to start the transformation. So, technically, only a corpse could become a vampire, but it should be fresh enough that the vampire blood can put the body back together. No regeneration power while the transformation is over, too, so falling off a cliff would render transformation hopeless.

Then, about the powers, everything would come down to the blood. Bleeding a vampire dry could technically kill them, staking them too (if the stake stays inside, preventing regeneration). Beheading could work, because you leak from everywhere then, but I guess if you could quickly get the head back and feed it enough vampire blood for long enough they'd be able to regrow their body.

Vampire blood would have the basic power of fastening the healing and changing the body into another form. For example, at the beggining, you'd still be able to eat normal food, but the more time goes by, the more your digestive system strives towards blood instead of food. That would make you need to feed less often. Also, while at the beggining you'd just heal faster and have normal human scars faster, as time goes by your body would retain more information after a wound, eventually allowing you to grow whole organs or limbs back.
Perhaps at some point you'd develop more powerful pheromone glands and the ability to control them, allowing the famous "glamour" of vampires.

I like my vampires low-fantasy and down-to-earth, yes. Stuff like being repelled by the cross, forced to count everything that comes by or magically prevented to enter churches or someone's home without their permission is bullshit to my eyes.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 11:46:02 pm »

I like the sanctuary version of vampires.

Stronger, faster, smarter and never aging but still capable of death. They were at war for thousands of years with a human resistance movement who eventually lost and retreated into the centre of the earth, leaving the vampires to fight amongst themselves until they killed eachother off, leaving the remaining human slaves to develop their own societies.

They look like humans, but apparently they're different races altogether. Also 'transferring the gift' is not mentioned at all as far as I can remember, so I just assumed it was some kind of genetic mishap that spawned a better race of humans.

Seems pretty realistic to me.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5