Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Vampire dwarves moving faster than their brethren...  (Read 13904 times)

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire dwarves moving faster than their brethren...
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2011, 11:55:00 pm »

You're all wrong, these are the real vampires:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But seriously, there are so many different literary representations of vampires that it's really impossible to decide their 'canon' habits, appearance, or weaknesses. They're a monster from folklore, and folklore is mutable from culture to culture, even in a modern context. Point is, vampires in DF are going to have procedurally generated properties which, as I understand from a recent DF talk, are going to be selected from a list of such traits that do have some kind of precedent in literature or folklore.

As far as I'm concerned, the representation of vampires in the previous picture is as close as possible to what it means to be a vampire, in essence. Sleep all day, party all night, live forever... but you must feed.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 12:08:39 am »

From the tales I've heard, vampires are little more than leather sacks of blood(In a metaphorical sense. A magical, bloodsucking leather bag wouldn't be all that terrifying), clinging onto the mortal realm and preventing themselves from their "second death"(I.E., crossing over) by feasting on the life essense of the living.

Of course, I've never had the privilege of encountering a vampire, so I can't say whether or not this is true.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 06:53:52 am »

I think it would be very funny if Toady trolled us, and implemented twilight vampires instead.

This is Urist Pattinson. His abs are glistening. He talked with a child recently. He made a friend recently. He took someone to bed recently.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 07:22:35 am »

I think it would be very funny if Toady trolled us, and implemented twilight vampires instead.

This is Urist Pattinson. His abs are glistening. He talked with a child recently. He made a friend recently. He took someone to bed recently.

Ahh yes Twilight Vampires. The Meat eating Vegetarians

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2011, 09:54:08 am »

Well, in the latest Devlog he DID say they were "practically shiny as it stands".

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2011, 09:55:44 am »

Well, in the latest Devlog he DID say they were "practically shiny as it stands".

He didn't mean it literally. Oh god, please let him not have meant it literally.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2011, 11:33:26 am »

He didn't mean it literally. Oh god, please let him not have meant it literally.
Why are you guys upset at the idea? Have you never wanted to introduce sparkly vampires to some nice, shiny MAGMA?
Soaplent green is goblins!

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2011, 11:47:44 am »

Having a vampire noble might be useful for acquiring vampire blood...

Though I don't know how you get blood out of magma once the noble problem is solved...
We're going to have to modify our previous strategies, I'm afraid.

Noble Danger Rooms must be designed. With Candy Spears of course. Holes in the noble's floor leading to direct lines flowing into the water supply will provide a direct means to contaminate every dwarf if alcohol is temporarily prevented from being drunk...drank... whatever.

There is, however, the problem of how to feed your dwarves once they've turned.

Suddenly, migrants are useful again.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2011, 12:35:13 pm »

Pfff. Virgins. What nonsense. Vampires in my mind are more like the original eastern european ones. Dead people come back to haunt the living. They look like a dead person before any rotting has occurred; gaunt and pale, but otherwise normal.

They suck the blood out of victims, but if the victim survives, they will rise as a free vampire (none of this subservience nonsense). If the victim dies... that's it. There's no unusual post-death events, and a vampire can be killed by staking, sunlight or beheading. They can be rendered impotent by nailing them to their coffinbeds, placing a heavy stone cross above them, or tying them down with garlic. Things soaked in holy water or garlic will hold and hurt them.
Or my favourite: Filling the coffin with grain or similar small objects. They can't help but count them, no joke, seriously, and never finish before sunrise. We all know how OCD vampires are right? The only problem is that counting objects is already a FPS drain.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2011, 01:54:57 pm »

They suck the blood out of victims, but if the victim survives, they will rise as a free vampire (none of this subservience nonsense).
Now you have your own nonsense - world would be overriden with vampires and eradicated from sentient life in hundreds of years, if not decades. Exponential growth, anyone?
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2011, 02:01:16 pm »

They suck the blood out of victims, but if the victim survives, they will rise as a free vampire (none of this subservience nonsense).
Now you have your own nonsense - world would be overriden with vampires and eradicated from sentient life in hundreds of years, if not decades. Exponential growth, anyone?
Unless the vampires (either consciously or through instinct) ensure that the vast majority of those that they feed on die during or soon after the feeding. I do agree that such a situation would very easily lead to everyone (including the vampires) ending up dead if too many vampires got careless.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2011, 02:34:21 pm »

You all seem to forget the fact that DF vampires are DF vampires. DF has quite a unique lore and gameworld. Show me a common fantasy world where elves eat killed men and still pass for animalistic treehuggers? Same for vampires, they may be any...

As for the differences: dwarves almost never see sun (at least in many of my fortresses) so they are naturally pale, also they are covered in dust and mud. In such situation it shouldn't be too hard to hide your "undead" appearance.
And while DF vampires never age, they should still grow the nails and beards (even on corpses those tissues grow, and judging by how vampires probably will have regeneration, all the tissue growth stays).

I am more interested in those facts:
In this case, the plan is to then have a witness to a bloodfeeding be able to report that to a guard/sheriff/etc., and then that'll be available for you when you decide on somebody to accuse/arrest/punish. You'll be able to accuse the wrong dwarf, and we might have the vampire or grudge-holding dwarves level false accusations that'll muddy the witness accounts a bit.
Vampires that are hiding their identity in your fortress will intentionally walk at normal speeds and their historical kill lists will be hidden, although you might spot them running fast if they are in your military and fighting with an opponent.

Holy crap, it's like you're the AI monitoring crew trying to find a changeling, and a random assistant yells "captain is a changeling" and a bunch of guards go down on him with fire extinguishers and batons and space him... Sorry if you didn't get the reference :D.
[1]
[2]
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 02:36:38 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2011, 03:22:30 pm »

Personally, I'd lean towards borrowing something from Buffyverse vampires or World of Dark (e.g. Vampire: The Masquerade) vampires, in that vampires might tend towards merely drinking some blood without draining their victims to avoid arousing suspicion, or make an arrangement with someone who wants to be fed upon (because they enjoy it). No sense killing dwarves if they can avoid it (unless you end up with a homicidal vampire), and that to turn someone would require bringing them to near death before feeding them vampire blood.

(Of course, Buffyverse vampires lose their soul upon becoming vampires and are essentially possessed by a demon, but I'm assuming Toady isn't going that route, if players are supposed to be able to become vampires)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Os Q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2011, 04:32:57 pm »

Why are you guys upset at the idea? Have you never wanted to introduce sparkly vampires to some nice, shiny MAGMA?

...then pour water on the magma - dig them out and cut them into sparkling gems.

If vampire blood or dust is magical... what about vampire glass?
..at least put some spikes in your clubs for goodness sake!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2011, 04:43:33 pm »

Show me a common fantasy world where elves eat killed men and still pass for animalistic treehuggers?

The Elder Scrolls' Wood Elves wich actually refuse to eat vegetables and even fast before battles. But it may not qualify as a "common fantasy world".
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5