Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: RNG Hates Earth: Solar Storm Edition (Life-ending solar storm)  (Read 13004 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
RNG Hates Earth: Solar Storm Edition (Life-ending solar storm)
« on: October 27, 2011, 02:07:45 pm »

Terrified scientists at NASA discovered on July 14, 2010 that our system is passing through an interstellar energy cloud. This highly energized, electrified cloud of gas is disturbing and disrupting the sun. In conjunction with Earth’s weakening and moving magnetic shield, the world is becoming defenseless against massive solar flares and intense radiation.

NASA, the ESA and the National Academy of Science have isued an unprecedented solar storm warning for 2012. But what NASA and the federal government are hiding, according to Demetriev, is that the sun—and everything in our solar system—has plunged into an alien, unknown photon cloud…a belt of danger that could precipitate gigantic solar explosions, magnetic anomalies, careening cometary masses and destabilize the orbits of some asteroids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1TOf7Jic68

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sunearth/news/next-solarstorm.html

Solar Storm Warning (Posted 2006): http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2006/10mar_stormwarning/

Welp, here we go again.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 02:22:13 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: RNG Hates Earth: Solar Storm Edition (Life-ending solar storm)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 02:34:24 pm »

Where did you get the first quote?

Anyway, goddammit sun why you roll 1 on stability when we're so vulnerable?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 02:36:26 pm »

Where did you get the first quote?

Anyway, goddammit sun why you roll 1 on stability when we're so vulnerable?
Someone gave it to me when they told me about it. Don't remember the source, though.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 02:47:42 pm »

See, then, there's no real backing-up that we're going into an interstellar cloud. I'm not saying I don't believe it, I'm just saying that planting the statement without a source isn't going to get much believers.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 02:50:14 pm »

Even if we are going into some kind of area like that, I doubt that it's going to summon some kind of planet-dooming event. We might get all our electronics fried, though.
Nothing important here, move along.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 02:51:11 pm »

Even if we are going into some kind of area like that, I doubt that it's going to summon some kind of planet-dooming event. We might get all our electronics fried, though.
Those are much the same thing!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 02:52:04 pm »

I doubt that this is actually true. The quote sounds too much some journalist was having a slow day for me to believe it until some new information comes up.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 02:55:53 pm »

We're all going to die again? Yawn.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 03:00:01 pm »

Those are much the same thing!
Not really. As much as we use electronics, the world won't be doomed by the loss. Stunted, yes, but not doomed. Doomed would be losing our entire atmosphere and irradiation of the entire planet.

I doubt that this is actually true. The quote sounds too much some journalist was having a slow day for me to believe it until some new information comes up.
The two latter links are to NASA, though. The quote on top may be false, but I think NASA believes that there will, in fact, be some bigger solar storms.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 03:05:19 pm »

Now, people who were dependent on electronics, like those on life support or using pacemakers, would probably die. There's also likely be a lot of riots which will likely include a bit of bloodshed. Any badly-designed nuclear reactors would probably be in danger, but considering international standards it would take a lot more than just power failure to get any licensed reactor supercritical.
Nothing important here, move along.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 03:09:44 pm »

Unprecedented solar storms in 2012? Damn you, Mayans!
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 03:11:51 pm »

Unprecedented solar storms in 2012? Damn you, Mayans!
It's all a conspiracy! The Mayans are behind it!

In all seriousness, though, an event like this is unlikely, at best. Possible? I don't know. It's scary to know how truly defenseless we are in this universe, though.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 03:17:22 pm »

Unprecedented solar storms in 2012? Damn you, Roland Emmerich!

Fixed that for you.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 03:31:17 pm »

Not any of the physics in that first quote made any sense.

So I googled the quote. That got me the full name; Alexia Demetria. It also got me a whole lot of crank and fringe sites reposting the piece with no obvious original source.

Searching for Alexia Demetria got me... a whole lot of crank and fringe sites reposting the piece with no obvious original source.

I think I've traced it back to Solar Storm Warning, a flat out 2012 conspiracy site, complete with "Marshall Law" link ranting about FEMA concentration camps.

I still can't find out who this supposed physicist is. There is someone by that name on Twitter but from the content I'm assuming not the same person...

As for the physics;

Solar flares are getting stronger as we move out of the quiet period, but I wouldn't expect a major risk to the ground. Large flares can potentially be a radiation risk for satellites and astronauts, but our forecasts can normally mitigate those problems. The main results are expected to be delayed spacewalks and maybe some satellite downtime during the worst storms. That is, they are a genuine threat, but not a massive one.

At it's heart this scaremongering seems to be a rebirth (if such things ever truly die) of the photon belt nonsense. That article is great in that it has a section on criticism from ufologists which mostly amount to 'you just pulled this out of your arse, didn't you?' The actual scientific explanation of why it isn't true is just a clarification of what certain words mean and why they don't mean what people seem to think they mean. Particularly 'photon'. The whole thing sounds like bad sci-fi technobable with less plausibility.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4