Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: RNG Hates Earth: Solar Storm Edition (Life-ending solar storm)  (Read 12746 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
Re: RNG Hates Earth: Solar Storm Edition (Life-ending solar storm)
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 03:34:42 pm »

It's funny because I was talking to a university physics teacher about the effects of a solar flare recently. He did his best to describe what the effects would be if one like in the forties hit Earth. A mom nearby was talking with us and said her daughter, whose heartrate is entirely the result of extended pacemaker usage, would die in just a few days without the thing.

Somehow I'm not believing this world ending apocalypse yadda yadda. But in the case of an electromagnetic disruption type thing hitting Earth, if there is any early warning, turn off all your electronics.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 03:47:27 pm »

Oh no! We're passing into a portion of space where alien light particles make suns explode!

This has got to be one of the lamest apocalypses we've run into yet. What's next, cheeseburger apocalypse?
I hope so, after that cheesecake apocalypse mmmmmmmmmm
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 05:23:50 pm »

The Earth's magnetic field is weakening due to irregularity in the flow of molten iron in the core, as we will be undergoing a magnetic field reversal in a few hundred years: true.

Crackpot WMG about interstellar energy clouds: figure it out for yourself.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 06:07:16 pm »

Terrified scientists at NASA discovered on July 14, 2010 that our system is passing through an interstellar energy cloud. This highly energized, electrified cloud of gas is disturbing and disrupting the sun. In conjunction with Earth’s weakening and moving magnetic shield, the world is becoming defenseless against massive solar flares and intense radiation.

NASA, the ESA and the National Academy of Science have isued an unprecedented solar storm warning for 2012. But what NASA and the federal government are hiding, according to Demetriev, is that the sun—and everything in our solar system—has plunged into an alien, unknown photon cloud…a belt of danger that could precipitate gigantic solar explosions, magnetic anomalies, careening cometary masses and destabilize the orbits of some asteroids.
Woo-hoo. Crackpot scare-journalism at its best. I suppose your regular solar flares are not enough to give people a good thrill without piggy-backing some pseudo-science on them.

@Jacob/Lee, seriously you could've just focused on the solar storm speculation, without all that other crap.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 06:09:17 pm »

GUYS, WE SHOULD TOTALLY TURN THIS THREAD INTO AN RP ABOUT US SURVIVING THE SOLAR STORM.

Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 06:16:58 pm »

@Jacob/Lee, seriously you could've just focused on the solar storm speculation, without all that other crap.
Sure. The brilliant people of the Internet, who are better than most of these scientists, have pretty much agreed this whole thing is a load of bull anyway.
GUYS, WE SHOULD TOTALLY TURN THIS THREAD INTO AN RP ABOUT US SURVIVING THE SOLAR STORM.
Knowing Bay12, it would go that way eventually...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 06:36:06 pm »

Sure. The brilliant people of the Internet, who are better than most of these scientists, have pretty much agreed this whole thing is a load of bull anyway.
I haven't seen any scientific sources mentioning "interstellar cloud of electrified gas disrupting the Sun", so forgive me if call this a bunch of bullcrap.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 07:49:32 pm »

Like I said, journalist on a slow day.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 08:02:46 pm »

I read this as:  Our solar system is planning an expedition into the galactic exclusion zone.  Planet Earth is along for the ride hoping to pick up some careening comets superpower-granting cosmic artifacts, but watch out for anomalies and be sure to drink tons of vodka.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 08:03:23 pm »

Oh god I cannot believe it. We're going to have to cover vital electrical equipment in tin foil! Can you imagine the horror? Tin foil EVERYWHERE!

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 08:04:25 pm »

Oh god I cannot believe it. We're going to have to cover vital electrical equipment in tin foil! Can you imagine the horror? Tin foil EVERYWHERE!
Our tin foil will have to be wrapped in tin foil!
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 08:05:09 pm »

Our tin foil will have to be wrapped in tin foil!
Our tin foil wrapping our tin foil will have to be wrapped in tin foil!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 08:07:44 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 08:06:09 pm »

...Wouldn't wrapping stuff in foil make it worse?  Surely you've put tinfoil or a CD in a microwave before.  It's pretty wild.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 08:06:56 pm »

...Wouldn't wrapping stuff in foil make it worse?  Surely you've put tinfoil or a CD in a microwave before.  It's pretty wild.

You're only making it sound like a better idea  :D
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 10:18:22 pm »

You're only making it sound like a better idea  :D

If we're already going to die in a half-baked panic, why not go the distance and spice things up?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4