Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: RNG Hates Earth: Solar Storm Edition (Life-ending solar storm)  (Read 12744 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: RNG Hates Earth: Solar Storm Edition (Life-ending solar storm)
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 10:30:54 pm »

...Wouldn't wrapping stuff in foil make it worse?  Surely you've put tinfoil or a CD in a microwave before.  It's pretty wild.

You're only making it sound like a better idea  :D

If we're already going to die in a half-baked panic, why not go the distance and spice things up?

I've always wanted to do that stuff, but never had a spare microwave to ruin.  This would be that opportunity dialed up to a million.  Colorful sparks everywhere!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 10:33:44 pm »

...Wouldn't wrapping stuff in foil make it worse?  Surely you've put tinfoil or a CD in a microwave before.  It's pretty wild.

You're only making it sound like a better idea  :D

If we're already going to die in a half-baked panic, why not go the distance and spice things up?

I've always wanted to do that stuff, but never had a spare microwave to ruin.  This would be that opportunity dialed up to a million.  Colorful sparks everywhere!

I've avoided doing it mainly because I have a bad history with fire and things that generally aren't supposed to be on fire.  :I

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 10:44:22 pm »

I did it on accident many, many years ago. It's like watching someone weld, it feels like your entire vision darkens except for that single spot where the sparks are flying out.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 10:47:03 pm »

I occassionally do it on purpose. If you're careful, there's no real danger to your microwave, to be honest.

Two pieces like so, standing next to each other, are the best. Just the best. Just be sure not to let any piece of the foil within 2 inches of the side of the microwave.
Code: [Select]
\    \
   \    \
   /    /
 /    /
 \     \
   \     \
   \

Grapes are still far and away the most enjoyable though.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2011, 05:38:24 am »

So the news is saying that the aurora borealis was seen as far south as Alabama monday and there is a good chance it'll be seen again due to unusually high solar activity.

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/10/northern_lights_in_the_south_a.html

Just in time for the stupid 2012 doomsday thing too. Well, anybody have tips on how to prepare your home for the battle with Satan's Army or whatever?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2011, 05:48:04 am »

Now imagine that happening inside your electronics. That's why you pack them in tin foil, to keep the microwaves out ;)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2011, 05:51:07 am »

So the news is saying that the aurora borealis was seen as far south as Alabama monday and there is a good chance it'll be seen again due to unusually high solar activity.

Just in time for the stupid 2012 doomsday thing too. Well, anybody have tips on how to prepare your home for the battle with Satan's Army or whatever?

For the mayan apocalypse, if there would be one, it just ends with the universe literally self destructing, as with the other mayan world endings.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2011, 06:59:05 am »

Well, anybody have tips on how to prepare your home for the battle with Satan's Army or whatever?
You write in lamb's blood on your door: "No lawyers allowed" and you have a pretty good chance of being left alone.

On a second thought, after the recent events around the world, you might want to add bankers and politicians to that list.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2011, 07:08:56 am »

If there was going to be a massive solar storm to hit earth, everyone would probably be warned by the weather service to turn off personal electronics, and they would most likely shut down any active power lines to prevent damage... its predicted, its planned for, nothings going to change, its happened before in like 1812 or something.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2011, 10:24:38 am »

So we've got a NASA article that doesn't sound alarmist, a Fox News article that's who cares it's fox news, and a bullshit quote that may as well not be there.

I ain't skeered.
Shoes...

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2011, 06:16:46 pm »

The Mayans believed that their civilization was made and unmade 3 times, 2012 is just another unmaking/remaking a new beginning, it has nothing to do with the end of the world at all.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2011, 06:38:23 pm »

Well, anybody have tips on how to prepare your home for the battle with Satan's Army or whatever?
You write in lamb's blood on your door: "No lawyers allowed" and you have a pretty good chance of being left alone.

I know it's a bit late, but can I sig this?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2011, 07:13:02 pm »

Anybody can sig anything, as some wise person said.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2011, 07:16:25 pm »

Unfortunately nobody thought to sig them, so their name falls unknown into the mists of time.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2011, 07:41:59 pm »

Unfortunately nobody thought to sig them, so their name falls unknown into the mists of time.
Actually, I'm pretty sure I saw this exact satement in somebody's sig quote on this here forum. It's just that for the love of me I can't remember the name.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4