Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Weaponize This (devlog quote)  (Read 34865 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Weaponize This (devlog quote)
« on: October 27, 2011, 06:28:35 pm »

Quote from: Toady
The last thing I got to was getting the historical dwarven vampires from world gen to come as migrants on occasion. Next up will be getting them to feed. This will leave one of your own dwarves routinely doing troubling things to the rest of your population, without you knowing immediately who is responsible. In order to make this a fun thing rather than an annoying thing, we're going to revamp the justice system a bit so that you can have crimes that have been committed (in the Justice screen, say) where the perpetrator is not known. In this case, the plan is to then have a witness to a bloodfeeding be able to report that to a guard/sheriff/etc., and then that'll be available for you when you decide on somebody to accuse/arrest/punish. You'll be able to accuse the wrong dwarf, and we might have the vampire or grudge-holding dwarves level false accusations that'll muddy the witness accounts a bit. It should be entertaining once it is tweaked and tested, but first I need to get the guts of it in.
Not sure how many of you pay attention to the main page, but this came up and I had to change my pants.  This is incredible...

Also:
Quote from: Toady
... Vampires that are hiding their identity in your fortress will intentionally walk at normal speeds and their historical kill lists will be hidden, although you might spot them running fast if they are in your military and fighting with an opponent. ...
Vampires from legends/worldgen will appear at your fortress disguised as migrants.  They will be difficult to spot, but will have a few tells to them.

Abuse it.  Discuss.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Weaponize This (devlog quote)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 06:30:32 pm »

All-vampire military squad.  They live in their own isolated fortress, and are only let out during sieges.  You'll need to drop the occasional lyemaker or animal dissector into them to keep them fed.  That's the most obvious idea.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 06:36:33 pm »

Dwarf Fortress III : Twilight

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 06:52:34 pm »

When dead dwarves start showing up I'll do the following:
-START A WITCH HUNT!!
-Turn off all boring labor on my new vampire king(or queen)
-Give him the best room possible
-TURN HIM IN TO A KILLING MACHINE
-Set a new world record in kill count :>
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 06:57:20 pm »

Dwarf Fortress III : Twilight
No. I refuse to let this happen.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 07:00:30 pm »

NOBODY SUSPECTS THE DWARVEN INQUISITION!!

KILL THE VAMPIRE, LEST THEY TAINT US WITH ELVEN BLOOD!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 07:04:11 pm »

The only way I can see myself weaponizing the vampires would be some sort of last resort fuck all tactic.

I would probably have all of my vampires locked in room behind a floodgate somewhere, because I would feel bad about killing off my own citizens(since I'm too goddamn nice)just because some undead asshole mistook my fortress for a Home Town Buffet. And as some attacking force razes their home, I would let them all loose to roam free in the bloodshed of the the fort's final moments.

"Sir! The enemy approaches! our defenses are shattered, and the militia is now nothing more than a pile of mutilated corpses lining the halls...what shall we do?"

"*sigh* Release the vampires."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 07:12:29 pm »

The only way I can see myself weaponizing the vampires would be some sort of last resort fuck all tactic.

I would probably have all of my vampires locked in room behind a floodgate somewhere, because I would feel bad about killing off my own citizens(since I'm too goddamn nice)just because some undead asshole mistook my fortress for a Home Town Buffet. And as some attacking force razes their home, I would let them all loose to roam free in the bloodshed of the the fort's final moments.

"Sir! The enemy approaches! our defenses are shattered, and the militia is now nothing more than a pile of mutilated corpses lining the halls...what shall we do?"

"*sigh* Press the button."

"Sir, you mean, THE button?!"

"Yes. May Urist have mercy on us all."

ftfy £:

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 07:16:08 pm »

And yet, the vampires ARE your citizens!  Do we cast out our own simply because they are different or suffer a medical condition?  ...wait, nevermind, that doesn't work here.

I plan on making sure all my vampire citizens are well taken care of.  Or, dead at the bottom of the well.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 07:17:48 pm »

"*sigh* Release the vampires."
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And yet, the vampires ARE your citizens!  Do we cast out our own simply because they are different or suffer a medical condition?  ...wait, nevermind, that doesn't work here.

I plan on making sure all my vampire citizens are well taken care of.  Or, dead at the bottom of the well.
I'm going to have a vampire ward, and feed crippled goblins to them  ;D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 07:19:05 pm »

I don't know, I really like the idea of having this small little hut where the dwarf vampire lives... Where Dwarf Children (that are not snatched or gobbled up by two humped camels of course) mysteriously disappear....

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 07:22:49 pm »

Vampires don't live in huts.  These are dwarf vampires.  They live in caves.  In little nooks they've carved out or built from mushroom stalks.

...vampires live in underground huts.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 07:23:18 pm »

Hmmm. I think i'd make a suicide military penance squad for the vampires. After one achieved enough it would be allowed to die by starvation or something.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 07:31:36 pm »

True, but I'm presuming that vampire dwarves become a menace to the fortress and its inhabitants, in order to balance out the fact that they're stronger and faster than normal. Things like sleeping for long periods of time, endangering the other dwarves' lives, and possibly scaring them, which would prevent them from getting things done.
Meaning I would be torn between not wanting to kill my little bearded bloodsuckers, but also not wanting to look around my fortress and realize that half the population is sleeping in the burial chamber.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 07:36:47 pm »

The choice is easy then, your dwarves are infinite, your vampires are infinite, but your fortress....

KILL THEM ALL.

WITH THE LEMONS.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16