Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !!science idea!! weight in falling speed  (Read 839 times)

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
!!science idea!! weight in falling speed
« on: October 28, 2011, 10:48:34 am »

so the idea i had is to see if size of creature affects speed at which they fall. to do this, a set of 1x1x1 pits over a hatch cover or drawbridge. the plan is to place varying cretures, from crundles to elves ito them, retract them all a once and use inividual fram play to detect which one hits first.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!science idea!! weight in falling speed
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 10:53:26 am »

Don't use a drawbridge, it'll make them fall randomly. I think the best way to test this would be via manual pitting, rather than lever-activated
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 11:17:31 am »

I've tested this.  All creatures and objects fall at a constant rate.  I think it's 1 level per 6 clock ticks, but I'd have to re-check that experiment.  Water and magma, meanwhile, fall at a slower, semi-random rate.  And cave-ins are effectively instantaneous.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 11:59:22 am »

Water and magma, meanwhile, fall at a slower, semi-random rate.
I did some testing on this earlier, and water/magma falling works in a 16-step timer during which every tile will fall downward exactly one in some deterministic order (which repeats across a 16x16 tile grid). The order changes during each 16-step period (seems to flip horizontally and/or vertically), so it's possible for a few tiles to appear to fall more quickly than others. I observed one such order and recorded it here - the "0" tiles fell on the first step, "1" on the second step, and so on, with "E" on the 15th stepand "F" on the 16th step.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 12:10:55 pm »

I would have been pretty surprised if heavier things fell faster than lighter ones, considering how it works in reality.  Yeah, I know some stuff in DF is pretty crazy, but that seems like it would be something Toady would get right.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 12:15:56 pm »

I don't know if its so much something that Toady got right, as it being easier to program everything to fall at the same rate and not check the weight of each object.  Note that in DF objects fall at a completely constant speed, with no acceleration and no attempt to model air resistance.

The pattern that falling water takes, on the other hand, is just bizarre.  Clearly there's a mathematical pattern determining the order, but other than that I don't know why Toady decided to make water fall on its own pattern instead of at the same speed everything else falls.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 01:50:11 pm »

You can always use the DF Arena mode to do these experiments by turn-ticking. Provided it's possible. Just count the amount of turns that pass upon impact.