Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forcefields - one-use trapcomps with syndromes  (Read 3482 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Forcefields - one-use trapcomps with syndromes
« on: February 23, 2012, 05:51:23 pm »

Hey guys, just had an idea, but first testing shows that it cant be done.

I wanted to do trapcomponents out of materials that melt at bodytemperatur, to use the same trick as with special ammo. Ammo hits target, gets lodged in wound,. melts, syndrome is activated.

I wanted to make some trapcomps called: Forcefields, that transform hit enemies into sheeps, or sets them on fire, or makes them "crazed" to turn upon their allies. The trapcomp would be destroyed (it melts) upon the hit, so they are not overpowered, since you can only use them once.

The Problem: It seems that trapcomps never get lodged in wounds. They only hit/strike.

My question: Does anyone know a workaround, any solution to make this idea into a reality ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forcefields - one-use trapcomps with syndromes
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 06:17:31 pm »

Why can't you make a special type of launcher that can't actually be wielded due to having a [MINIMUM_SIZE] in the billions, then have custom reactions that make ammo for that launcher type in small numbers that causes the syndrome? The launcher would be built into weapon traps and work like crossbow traps. I'm pretty sure bolts from crossbow traps can get stuck in wounds.

Edit: Can trap components be ranged weapons? Might be something to try.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 06:22:35 pm by NecroRebel »
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 07:12:30 pm »

Can trap components be ranged weapons? Might be something to try.

They can. Bow and crossbow traps run out of ammo rather than clogging up. Weapon traps are also the only known use for artifact blowpipes, as dwarves will at least admire the fine trap despite ever being able to load it.

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 07:15:09 pm »

Why can't you make a special type of launcher that can't actually be wielded due to having a [MINIMUM_SIZE] in the billions, then have custom reactions that make ammo for that launcher type in small numbers that causes the syndrome? The launcher would be built into weapon traps and work like crossbow traps. I'm pretty sure bolts from crossbow traps can get stuck in wounds.

Edit: Can trap components be ranged weapons? Might be something to try.

I am not sure the stick in rate would be high enough though.
I find it funny that until now, no one (including myself) stopped to consider the absurdity of a submarine in which the crew cabin is filled with water and the crew is drowning when everything is working properly.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 07:26:48 pm »

If you made a custom ammo with a small size, but very high penetration, it might lodge in wounds reliably.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 08:11:26 pm »

They can. Bow and crossbow traps run out of ammo rather than clogging up. Weapon traps are also the only known use for artifact blowpipes, as dwarves will at least admire the fine trap despite ever being able to load it.
There's a difference between "weapons that can be put into traps" and "trap component weapons," though. I'm wondering if something on par with a serrated disc could be a ranged weapon.

I am not sure the stick in rate would be high enough though.
Gotta be higher than 0%, right? Ranged-weapon traps would be better for Meph's purpose than trap component traps if trap components truly don't stick in things.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 09:19:55 pm »

Heres an idea, take 10 rifles from Masterwork DF and stick them in a weapon trap.

on topic: i remember there being a certain set of ammo raw settings that make it stick in a wound very very often.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 11:47:10 am »

Ha, I went offline yesterday, and came to the same conclusion then you guys. The entire system is finished.

I use a custom made dart-thrower that shoots little wooden darts, that almost always lodge in wounds. Harmless. BUT I have a custom reaction to add a syndrome, making poisoned darts, that cause paralyzis. Very indiana jones like-trapcomp. Is a ranged weapon of course, but needs a bodysize of 9999999 to be wielded.

Same goes for my runic ward. Needs 2 runes and a staff, and can only be used in traps. Shoots spells (custom ammo) that makes hit enemies crazed (berserking orc warlord that attacks his own troops, anyone ?) transforms them (into hamster for a short time, easy kill) puts them to sleep, or slows them down. Other ideas are welcome.

Tested and works :)

PS: I am a workaholic sometimes ^^
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 11:51:15 am »

Loving the idea of spell traps! Probably gonna have to steal it and make soul traps at some point.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 04:09:57 pm »

Another random idea, with the help smakemupagus:

Could I build a trap with trapcomps/trapparts made of anthrazite/bituminous/lignite and have an (once set on fire) perpetual burning trap ?  Do people walking over it get heat damage ?

I coul make tar/pitch then. A custom trapcomp, with 0 hits (hope that works) that only exists to be set on fire. I always wanted someting like that.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 04:22:20 pm »

Another random idea, with the help smakemupagus:

Could I build a trap with trapcomps/trapparts made of anthrazite/bituminous/lignite and have an (once set on fire) perpetual burning trap ?  Do people walking over it get heat damage ?

I coul make tar/pitch then. A custom trapcomp, with 0 hits (hope that works) that only exists to be set on fire. I always wanted someting like that.

How would you stop it from buring? have a HEAT_DAM point at ignition but a very high SPEC_HEAT?
then again I have no idea how tempeture works, if you set HEAT_DAM to NONE the object burns for eternity

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 04:25:11 pm »

I thought the coals and most other flammable things actually burned out after ~9 months, though? Artifacts burn forever, but that's different. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've heard that fire is more deadly now, so it might be worthwhile, but I think you could get a superior effect by just making a charcoal road or bridge and igniting it, since you'd get better coverage per material and you'd have an easier time getting the material in large quantities.

Might be a suitable way to kill zombies... A shorter path blocked with pet-impassable doors (I've confirmed that creatures whose living form cannot open doors cannot open doors when reanimated either), with a longer path around made of burning road, should result in most living things going through the doors while the undead go through the fire, die from the heat, then have their corpse incinerated so they don't get back up again.

...Concept: weapon traps that are also on fire to permanently kill undead.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 04:31:24 pm »

Yes, correct, it burns 9 months. But I could remove this ability from liginte/bituminous, and make a custom reaction to create: Pitch. then you can build a "pitch road" and set in on fire. Of course it would be difficult to control the custom mat (as in: do not use it for anything else) thats why I wanted to create finished items. These can only be used in the traps.

Here the lignite raw, for hugo:
[INORGANIC:LIGNITE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:lignite][DISPLAY_COLOR:0:6:1][TILE:136][ITEM_SYMBOL:'"']
[ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:VEIN:100]
[SPEC_HEAT:409]
[IGNITE_POINT:11440]
[MELTING_POINT:NONE]
[BOILING_POINT:16708]
[SOLID_DENSITY:1346]
[IS_STONE]

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 04:38:27 pm »

Yes, correct, it burns 9 months. But I could remove this ability from liginte/bituminous, and make a custom reaction to create: Pitch. then you can build a "pitch road" and set in on fire. Of course it would be difficult to control the custom mat (as in: do not use it for anything else) thats why I wanted to create finished items. These can only be used in the traps.

Here the lignite raw, for hugo:
[INORGANIC:LIGNITE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:lignite][DISPLAY_COLOR:0:6:1][TILE:136][ITEM_SYMBOL:'"']
[ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:VEIN:100]
[SPEC_HEAT:409]
[IGNITE_POINT:11440]
[MELTING_POINT:NONE]
[BOILING_POINT:16708]
[SOLID_DENSITY:1346]
[IS_STONE]
Hmm it must seem that something on fire slowly gets hotter and hotter until it boils away. Or how does "Coal" materials burn out? Stone Template has HEAT_DAM as NONE.

EDIT:
Just read the response in the MODDING QUESTIONS. I guess nobody really knows why they magically just "Poof" out of exsistance. Helpful tho incase I do want to make a fire trap. I don't want it burning for all eternity
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:49:18 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »