Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Another Project - Dwarven EcoCity 2020  (Read 26119 times)

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
Another Project - Dwarven EcoCity 2020
« on: October 29, 2011, 07:53:22 am »

Dwarven EcoCity 2020 - A better name is needed - [Though the RNG kindly gave us] The Constructs or Whirling from Rimamused (Aban Estil from Tiristidath)

After finishing the Itza, I saw the Mexican inverted-pyramid thing and thought I might like to do that. It was scrapped because, inverted-pyramid is easier to "build" than normal-pyramid is easier than Chichen Itza. (Ignoring the possibility of cave-ins, of course.)

Then I saw this Eco City thing. I liked it. Circular-inverted-pyramid is harder than Itza. Doming the thing in glass ups the level a bit. It got the beard of approval to go forth and design it.

A blueprint >= 2,593 words, so here is one, lest I try to describe it in all 2,593 words. (Lucky you):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A few notes:
   Invaders are off. No caverns. Z+ genned to 23, depth is at 34-35 [forgot which]. I'll likely turn invaders on, but its a huge project and I wanted to get the lay of the land first.
   I found a nice embark on attempt two.
   There was no drink available at either embark, and both were different world gens.
   The caravan brought no drink and no seed. I have some above-ground seed, so all isn't lost. But it'd have been nice to notice before I dug a plot for my mushrooms. (Sad Panda didn't look.)
   Circles. Just getting a template I am fond of was a chore. [This computer locked up yesterday, so I lost 3 other patterns not on the photo above. I may still painstakingly do it pel by pel in ACAD. *frowns*]
   Magnetite, limestone, gold. (Microcline) This pleases all.

Initial fort with 20 rooms set up in SE corner - Random rooms set up mostly to dig out sand. Small storage level w/ a few workshops a bit below.
   Formula-910* found right where we hoped it to be genned. Two of the six 13x13 rooms for forges and all other crafts are complete. Four of the rooms, plus two 5x13 rooms, are ~100% over magma.
   Similar progress is reported on the storage (four levels) above the workshop area.
   Four arms of 56 spans are dug in the cardinal directions. There are many small pools about, so this center-line construction breached one. [Too early for massive construction fun. Give it time my friends.]

The whole area we dug into, and much of the top layer in general, is sand. Clearly Armok blesses us with sand aplenty for glass and curses us with no plants or booze. If it don't kill us, it'll make us stronger. We, of course, were focused on getting the basics done with only a slight emphasis on the project. With the center-lines set up, we can finish the work area and a few plots in open air. I would rather have a few plots than rely on gathering plants, especially since so much of the land will cease to have that designation. [Plus, growing strawbs will get a nod of approval from GiH, I'd wager.]

Most likely, I will set up 3 more sand forts in the other corners of the map, perhaps connected via tunnels. Not sure. I've never had a need for a glass industry before. If Formula-910 is found in the other corners, it may be well to just build a glass forge area at each corner. Again, not sure.

I mentioned my computer freezing. I was about 2 days from the spring save - much was lost. (The entire forge area was finished - all five levels.) I let the 'puter alone for 12 hours but she stayed right in the queue screen for the carpenter's shop. [Don't fear, I wandered to the front room and used the other computer while beating up my friend's computer. Plus, that's the 'puter with ACAD, so no dwarf-time was really lost. Okay, I have to re-do the warm stone thing, but it's early yet. Not even a drop of coffee in me, so what do I care? (Been up 3.25 hrs now.) Designate stuff, inhale coffee, unpause and re-designate often. (Totally aware I can turn notices off. Probably a good idea on this one, but nah.) See? No time lost.]

I don't think it was DF, but GIMP that locked me up - but that is just a well founded guess.

Right. Happy Saturday. I've rambled enough. Let's build, err dig.

* Formula-910 is wholly trademarked by me, though I reserve the right to straight up give it to Necro if he asks, because, umm, obvious is obvious. (I can see poster ads in my brain. Formula-910: For all of your cleansing problems.) [Well, I've never seen the name in use. If it has been used, ignore this.]

P.S. I randomly drew the centerline in pink, not my typical yellow. I assumed it was a byproduct of catching up on MLP so to understand it, like so many other memes here, (The only forum I am on in any meaningful way, so it is worth the effort,) so I added the shot of Pinky because a.) She's bloody adorable/missing a screw and, b.) Anyone with a cat knows that pose and the destruction it likely will bring. QED, c.) It is dorfy.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Another Project - Dwarven EcoCity 2020
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 08:45:57 am »

Make it solar powered.

>Magma batteries.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 10:17:43 am »

If you turned off the caverns I'm pretty sure underground plants, such as plump helmets, won't exist. I'd suggest leaving 1 cavern later but making it very far beneath the surface. (For some challenge mine is 100 between each layer and the surface! :P )

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 12:47:08 pm »

(For some challenge mine is 100 between each layer and the surface! :P )

I'd do that, and will do that once we get cross-z-level designations (so I can make 100 z-level designations without tedious clicking or inaccurate (and currently bugged beyond usability for me) macros.

But to the OP and tommy:

Yeah you'll lose all underground stuff once you remove the caverns (which might not be a bad idea, this is a sunny glass structure after all...
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 01:08:44 pm »

It would be amazing to see this completed. If you manage it, I'll shave my beard.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 09:13:40 pm »

This will be two posts;

I didn't realize I needed a cavern for plump helmets; I somehow thought those were exempt for no reason I can think of. Good to know. So far we've managed, though.

This will be finished - rest assured. I do not know why, since this is clearly a horrible idea. But I am a Taurus born in the year of the Tiger. I decided to do it, therefore it will be done. (Also, I am surprised how quickly the Itza got done.) Please, please, please... do not shave a beard. Maybe a whisker or two'd be fine. [You can not possibly have a razor that can shave a dwarven beard clean off, can you?]

I only hope Overseer renders this better than the previous project.

A second post comes with a picture. 
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 09:24:05 pm »

Attempting to shave a dwarven beard will have yourself finding one of your hands missing while trying it.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 09:41:55 pm »

[This is an edited journal of the events leading to now.]

Kikrost Liralath has gone wonkers. Needs stone (check) and silk cloth. 16th Slate. I don't think a caravan will come soon. This may stink. Squad of 3 stationed near the soon-to-be nutjob.

An elven caravan. This may help - not with silk cloth, sadly. Broker is drinking. This may not help. Warren assigned. Sommer is icumen in. Broker is nicely drunk and negotiated some 2 barrels of brew. And some 4 barrels of air. And some seeds and brewables. Plus live meat. (We've only two horses. They don't feel like breeding for some genetic reason.) Nutball went stark raving mad - stationed squad insured he only walked 3 steps. Should plan a cemetary.

21st Mal: Down to one drink. Critical mass. Plants set to harvest. Someone COULD pull the lever to flood the strawberry patch. I am afraid to cancel and re-order it, since I need it re-pulled soon after. I do have a lot of dumping/digging going on at the moment.

Learning experience - @ 100 FPS you forget to realize how long it takes for something to get done. (It seems counter-intuitive, but at 30 FPS you are more likely to have a good fort and are reading a description of someone magmafying something.)

Reminder to all - When you import drinks or seeds, make sure the kitchen (z) doesn't want to cook them. I find I forget that sometimes. So desu ne.

Side note of oops; set up lever for over-ground farm - pulled lever - all is fine, if only I had dug the channel behind said gate... [In my defense, the telephone thing required me to shut it up by speaking to it for a while.]

Praise Armok, an artifact spear of cow bone. Its encircled wiv bands of shorl and pig iron, the spikes are of mule bone, peafowl bone and cow leather. It very cleverly has an image of it on it. [Yeah, we've all seen the like.  It's the turn of phrase that is important. Pay attention.]

Genetics means we have horse kids. A trade allowed such. This is good. We have hunger no more.

Oddom Udizfikod is possessed - Let's see what he wants. Craftsdwarfs workshop, bones, leather. Well, there's an animal or two that we can use. (Plus, food.) ...And it's a frakking mace. Yay. If I could figure out a way to smack Oddom with it, it'd be done.

Kumil Duthnurfikod feels like making Rulrovod. Won't tell me any ingredients. Likely will fail. Squad placed near him for emotional support... Yay. A perfect wood opal. Thank Armok it has hanging rings of wood opal or it'd be worth... Well, what I value it at now. Though the appraiser seems to think it is worth U24K, I think it is a piece of crap no one in their right mind would want. Secretly, Armok wishes me to toss it in Formula-910 and see if that cleans it. I think this is likely, though we will wait. Kumil might like it if I manage to get someone to use it as a club. (I would.) [I am not really implying that he should be hit in the head with this club. Just tossing the string of words out there - Ya know, just because.]

About 144 bedrooms done.

Iron Left Gauntlet - spikes of peafowl leather, diorite and prase. It's got a rather nice image of hide root on it in iron and the crafter also detailed, in peafowl bone, a great image of rope reeds. (U31,200)This is pretty frakking nice. I'm sure you can look up at the responses to the other two artifacts and guess what I think needs to be done with such an item. If any reader of this is having difficulties, it involves impressing upon the creator an image of hide root and rope reeds on their forehead - gently yet permanently.

On the glass blocks: Armok tasked us, and we will comply. But we can and will complain the entire time. It'll start now. [Rather large rant containing curses in many tongues removed. Someone thought of the children.]

No booze from the Mountainhome. We've decided that none will ever come. We are low on drink so more stills are being built. Moor strawbs. MOAR DRINK! Yes, well, so that is going on. [Moors can have strawbs, neh? Not trying to offend anyone, just almost another homonym for 'more'.]

Onul Usanmistem the leatherworker got scared by a Blue Peacock. I don't want to hear the story - but it'd better be the scariest [expletive deleted] peacock Armok ever bred.

30 clear glass blocks made. Good. General grasp of glass production and flow reached. Hands frantically trying to find hair on head to pull out.

Final circle pattern given beard of approval. Outer rim of level 0 designated. Cave ins not expected until level 17 or so.

Rope reed fiber turban. This'n is encrusted with diorite, studded with iron, decorated with rope reed fiber and highwood, and encircled with bands of rope reed fiber, diorite, and violet spessartine. With an image of a bloated tuber in highwood, and an image of whip vines in iron. Apparently, we've made a turban for a dragon. No one in their right mind could even think of placing this monstrosity on their head. (Is it a coil of fabric, or did some idiotdwarf sew this thing together. (U59,680))

The picture I promised:

I thought the lower level was clearer, so that is the pic I posted.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 11:39:42 pm »

Razors make the most interesting sproing-ing noise when they are murdered by a beard. I hereby withdraw my challenge.

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 10:59:40 pm »

Why, exactly is Pinkie Pie on that blueprint?

Everyone knows that Pinkie is horrible for the environment, as she consumes over 1,000 trees a day for party invitations.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 11:00:21 pm »

To answer the question above - it was answered in the OP. But since you mentioned the environment;

I cut so many trees, grabbed all that grew on both levels they grew, need so many more, will grab every last one from every last elf, yada, yada, yada.

We have a few levels dug, and we have this plan, that is as always subject to change:

1.) Cut first two layers at r56.5 - begin downward dig.  -- 100%
2.) Construct outer glass walls (02z) - add limestone walls at 8 points with ramps for access.  --  100%
3.) NEW! Dig cone starting at r37.5 @ -02z and ending at r8.5 @ -31z (The floor).  - 2 levels done*
Next.
4.) Construct central glass tower, (or the 8 corners,) to upper dome height.
5.) Begin struts of main dome - ramps and such.

* Digging circles is easier when it is not on the edge of walls, where dorfs can get confused. This part should be quick. [You don't think I believe that.]

There's some interesting stuff. This is all I feel needs mentioning so far;

1st Moonstone, 114: Iteb Asdodok, a great miner, gave birth to triplets. This brings her to six children in total. Huzzah! [pop 225]

18th Mal, 115: Unib Shakethdakost, son of Cerol Tomesglazed and Erith Tincanyons has become mayor. Good for him. We should have access to all that he likes. (War hammers, bucklers, bauxite and brass. Rose quartz and worm tooth - these might bug us.)

In celebration, we've built a magma pit. This will be known of from now on as "The Great Microcline Purge of 115". Just over 2600 stones will be given up in this anti-sacrifice. (Should get me a FPS or three.) To aid in digestion, we'll be adding granite next - of which we have =4600 (not ~4600).

So far, the cistern ran dry. It has rained only once - so much for the three rainstorms we had before we cleared it out. I'm waiting to start a bucket brigade, I am.

Proof that dwarves have little to no neck: Stal Kumil, "The Buster of Armories", a rope reed fiber veil. Encrusted w/ magnetite, decorated w/ blue peafowl bone and encircled w/ bands of rope reed fiber, diorite, acacia, violet spessartine and wolf leather. And spikes of diorite. (U44,800)

As I close this, we have only 1442 microcline left. It's like burning tribbles.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 11:22:49 pm »

This will be two posts;

I didn't realize I needed a cavern for plump helmets; I somehow thought those were exempt for no reason I can think of. Good to know. So far we've managed, though.

This will be finished - rest assured. I do not know why, since this is clearly a horrible idea. But I am a Taurus born in the year of the Tiger. I decided to do it, therefore it will be done. (Also, I am surprised how quickly the Itza got done.) Please, please, please... do not shave a beard. Maybe a whisker or two'd be fine. [You can not possibly have a razor that can shave a dwarven beard clean off, can you?]

A razor of candy would work on any dwarven beard, and they'd be proud.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 01:22:42 am »

PROTIP: you can use DFHack to designate perfect circles with little effort.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 07:47:57 am »

This will be two posts;

They would replace the beard with the razor and proceed to cut you with it.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 09:13:07 am »

PROTIP: you can use DFHack to designate perfect circles with little effort.

Interesting. Learn New Everyday. Still, since I turned invasions off, I can't do anything else un-dwarvy, and that there smacks of it. (Really. And what if those circles are too circular for my cause? Nope, full on carpal tunnel for me, like it's been since '81 when I got a Coco.)

They would replace the beard with the razor and proceed to cut you with it.
Oh, I don't think a candy razor would do so much. Sure, the outlying, dying, beard would be removed - that's how dwarves fancy up for parties. But the inner beard, the one that can cut obsidian and need drink? No, you over-estimate the candy, methinks.

[Only acetech09 and a few others will care: Noticed that no matter how I have (not thoroughly) tried, BOINC* is evil with DF. Currently my fort is running @ ~30 FPS, with BOINC using 3/4 of the cores, (6/8 of the threads and a GPU). If I cut it to 4/8 I get a few FPS, but if I pause BOINC, I can hit about 58 peak, but 48 seems right where I hover. Since I am used to 25, it is good to know I can speed things up during, say, magma-fun.] {Where else would I put this info? A new thread?}

--------------

Right, then.

24th Opal, 115: The Great Microcline Purge is now ended. There are only 35 pieces left, all of which are workshops I think. We could remove/rebuild them, and perhaps we may at some time, but we are too happy to bother. Now - the diorite.

1st Granite, 116: A new year. 3164 diorite left. (447 dumped since we started.) About 45% done on level -05z. There are 93 blocks left for the glass wall on -01z (about 79% done) It is slow going, even at 16 single walls at a time. Still tweaking the glass-making. Nonetheless, we are proceeding there just fine.

* Berkly Open Infrastructure for Network Computing. You have spare cycles, they have a use for 'em. [Not a plug, not associated with them, etc. Just something my computers do when they are bored.]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5