Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Another Project - Dwarven EcoCity 2020  (Read 26318 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Another Project - Dwarven EcoCity 2020
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2011, 08:29:27 am »

your humble narrator is still under the impression that someone cares about this project. *smiles*

Yay!  An update to one of my favorite threads for Dwarfmas!  (Actually two - I somehow missed the December 11 update in which a fish decided either to commit suicide or walk the earth in search of enlightenment.)

All of the lurkers care :D
(Also, that song thoroughly disturbed me. Instant approval).

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2012, 02:43:12 pm »

Dear lurkers / to whom it may concern,

The dwarves and I are toiling away. We have not forgotten you. So, here are the notes to date;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

tl;dr

Invaders are back off. I'll turn them back on once the top is complete, I think. It is fun to kill squishies, but this is a project more than it is a fort.

Since we are so close to finishing the dome, it is time to decide how best to proceed. Of course there is the widening of the cone - but how long will that take a cadre of twelve legendary miners? [As long as it takes me to draw circles with the world's best UI. (I love the thing, and can duck any incoming attack about said UI.)]

It is too early to fully flesh out ideas, but either a circular moat of ~5 tiles, or just turn the top into a lake, (Very slowly - there is only so much rain and only so many murky pools,) seems like something I'll do. There are the four glass towers that are planned, of course. Pipe works to cast the obsidian floor at -15z and the pumps/plumbing necessary to do that.

I am getting ahead of myself. Let us enjoy a picture or two. 

A shot in DF:

And one in Stonesense: (Note, Image scaled in half.)

The rest of the dome should take just a short time, so the next update will take less time than this one did.

*grins*

P.S. The fish, Garbh, is just fine. I'd guess he's about 1/2" longer and enjoying the 55gal tank. I purchased an albino pleco, Urist, who is about 48mm long and enjoying itself in another (20gal) tank. Urist was about 42mm when I got it. Way to small to determine the sex for me, so "it" works for now.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Ivir_Baggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2012, 03:01:41 pm »

On the subject of pet fish, I used to have a set of 3 goldfish. But they all died.
Moab is my washpot, and over Edom shall I cast out my shoe.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2012, 05:43:30 pm »

I am either happy or sad for you.

[Is there some proper way to respond to that, or was that okay?]
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2012, 07:03:12 pm »

I am either happy or sad for you. Or not.

This is the proper way to respond to personal statements.

Or not.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2012, 10:11:14 pm »

I shall name them squishy! And they shall be mine!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2012, 12:10:30 am »

Do you have any plans to round off the glass dome with ramps? The stonesense screenshots seem a little blocky in that regard. Awesome work so far, nonetheless.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2012, 06:40:28 am »

Do you have any plans to round off the glass dome with ramps? The stonesense screenshots seem a little blocky in that regard. Awesome work so far, nonetheless.

I had also noticed that it was a bit block-like and was thinking to build ramps. (Although, being a Lego fan, blocky is fine.) I am not sure if it will look much better in SS or OS, but I do plan on it.

I figure that I'll get the dome done and then start ramping it up. If, in the first three months, it looks like garbage in SS, I can always give the three-finger salute and savescum. Plus, that will be when we are digging the cone wider, so the mass designation of ramps will keep my mind free of the worry over bored masons.

Or not.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2012, 11:30:05 am »

A thought came to mind. Considering sunlight going through the giant glass dome; and it's shape, wouldn't most of the light during noontime end up focusing and turning into a coherent beam of concentrated light?

Overthinking: Considering that, I wonder if it has been thought through that since that would likely happen, especially with such thick glass panels focusing the light, place  a good amount of solar panels all over the main central pillar, as well as outdoor farms of sorts to absorb the light. Take advantage of what could, if improperly engineered, be an unintentional death ray microwaving the city.

EDIT:
Okay, looking over the original artwork, they already saw ahead of that, and at least took measures to diffuse the light to prevent turning the city into an anthill under a magnifying glass.

Of course, in reality, I think they would be using more of a thin glass or plastic hexagonal dome mesh. Sorta like a dome made of chicken-wire, and filling in the holes with modular transparent panels. Nobody will notice the grid from a distance anyhow, and it would be far easier and cheaper to maintain (even if a section breaks, the whole dome itself wouldn't be compromised too badly, and the hole can be patched up and cheaply/easily replaced in a few days). Your design, however, defines dwarfy. Inches to feet (or roughly a cubit) thick of solid glass all the way. High maintainence, ridiculously expensive, and downright dangerous when it all goes to hell. Sorta like The Simpsons Movie.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 11:44:24 am by Itnetlolor »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2012, 11:31:38 am »

Or a intentional death ray microwaving elven tree-hugging cannibals.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2012, 11:35:48 am »

Death rays are good. I like death rays. They make me feel warm inside.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2012, 12:42:07 pm »

There's a curved hotel somewhere in RL that focuses all of the Sun's light that hits it into one room, a swimming pool to be exact, and that room is now a health hazard to anyone who tries walking through it XD

So yeah, if it did, it would only affect one square. Put your mayor's bed under that square ;p

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2012, 12:48:11 pm »

I see there has been much thinking going on. This talk of death rays pleases me, so do carry on. It isn't like I can't change the design or anything. Or that I fully have a design or anything. [For bonus points, could we combine the elven trading post with the mayor's room? Not now, but sometime? Wait... No it's okay - I think that would be considered an acceptable loss of booze.]

28 Slate, 155 - The gods be praised and cursed, the dome is done. The last block was laid by one Thob Italudil, a fair enough mason. And an ecstatic one, to boot. He prefers familiar routines - yeah, building 56 different sizes of circles might do that.

Now, since the masons have done a wonderful job, and most of them lived, they get the day off. Erm, okay... Only Urdim Netholor gets off. Thob is but an expert (08) at his craft and Sakzul Ekiruzol is only a master (12). The other seven are merely skilled (04) and that is not something we like. [I don't think it matters for wall building?, but still - I need more idlers like you need an extra hole in your head. (Unless you have some brain clot or something, but you know that is unfair to bring that up - I mean, how would I know? And I would never be so insulting. Right, then. No extra holes in head wanted for the sake of this conversation.)]

I'm not sure that I actually want to start digging circles, or just run around in their pattern for the day. If I opt for the former, I'll let you know. The odds are at 50-50, so don't bother betting.

For those counting, it's been 48 years and we have about 12,700 clear glass blocks used so far. We are at 316 souls, alive, and are worth a measly 5.66M - though that isn't a number that means anything to us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2012, 02:30:10 pm »

You hate digging in circles? Try building in circles :d
~With Buzzards killing everyone

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2012, 04:12:27 pm »

Posting to watch, very ambitious.