Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this be ...

Non-Fantasy
Very Light Fantasy (Extremely Rare Mythical Creatures, Magic, etc.)
Light Fantasy (Rare Mythical Creature, Magic, Etc.)
Medium Fantasy (Magic, and Mythical Beings are common)
Heavy Fantasy (Both are abundant, but most Magic is very weak)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dark Ages: A Game of War, Trade, and ... Farming ?  (Read 4756 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dark Ages: A Game of War, Trade, and ... Farming ?
« on: October 29, 2011, 10:01:54 am »

Have you ever wanted to play a knight of some great lord in the Dark Ages, or perhaps a farmer he took up a weapon, and becomes a king ? Well that is exactly what I desire to create, Dark Ages will be a game based in Europe during the Dark Ages, and you will start as a Peasent in these troubled times. You will be able to do nearly anything. Want to be a Knight, Go Ahead, and draw your sword. How about a Trader, then go buy yourself a wagon. Ever thought the life of a farmer would be great, well just grab your hoe, and tend to the earth.

My aim is to make a deep, and immersive game where you can play nearly anything from a lowly farmer to a king based on your choices it is all possible. As a farmer you will tend to your crops, sell them at the local market, and take care of your hovel, and herds. As a King you will lead armies, build towns, cities, and fortresses, and take care of your people. Anything is a possibility as you explore, survive, or thrive in this harsh world.

Character Creation
This will give you numerous options, and you will be able to choose your background (Where you grew up, what life was like, etc.), what jobs your mother, and father had, the town, or city you grew up in, and many other things. All, or most of these choices will effec how you start out such as your starting land, ownings, home, etc.

Crafting
You won't have everything you need as you go through each day of your life, but with the right materials, and tools you can make most of whatever you need. If you hoe breaks simply replace the Handle, or Rebuild the head of it to get it working again. You can make anything varying from a simply hoe to a wagon even to a sword with jewels laid throughout it, but you will need the materials for all of it no matter what you wish to build.

Spoiler: Planned Features (click to show/hide)

Current Programmers:
Me - adwarf - Head Programmer (Not sure how much I can do not knowing any programming skills, but this is my dream game, and I will make it even if it takes my entire life.)

Thats it for the moment just me, but any help at all is welcome. Also any ideas as to what I should program this in ? I have been thinking Python, but not sure. Also if you have any questions, or suggestions go ahead, and tell me I will see what I can do.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Ages: A Game of War, Trade, and ... Farming ?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 12:43:12 pm »

Factions
Black Ravens - The Black Ravens are a mercenary group, and have several bases of operation on the border of society. They are ruthless, and battle-hardened soldiers who now work for the highest bidder, and will take on nearly any job they are offered if they see it as just, of course they won't do thus cheaply. Though those who have seen them in battle say they are well worth any money that was spent on them.

Their origins are unknown, and all anyone knows of their past is the name of their founder, David Ravenhawk, even that does not give much of a lead as to how, or when they were founded. Though their purpose is clear, to eradicate all that they see to be unjust.

Northern Trade Guild - The Northern Traders, as they are more commonly known as, control most of the trade in the northern areas of Europe, and as thus most of its members are upperclass as they gain a large amount of gold from the trade routes between the northern kingdoms.

More to come ...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:16:09 am by adwarf »

Oscuro1987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 12:46:29 pm »

Hi,

I support this kind of projects. Do you need help in any way?

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 01:18:55 pm »

I heartily recommend Python, using the libtcod library. Here's a really good tutorial if you're unfamiliar.

...On reflection, I just baselessly assumed you're planning a roguelike. Is that the case?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 01:47:25 pm »

I heartily recommend Python, using the libtcod library. Here's a really good tutorial if you're unfamiliar.

...On reflection, I just baselessly assumed you're planning a roguelike. Is that the case?
Not really as when you start the world the map will be set, and several villages will already be place for you to explore, or live in. (As in no Random Generating the Map) On top of that this game will also contain varying different types of game play (Ex: As a King you will control armies, and rule cities. Ordering certain structures to be built, and controlling supplies, gear, etc. for your soldiers will be part of the core mechanics of a King. Then, As a Farmer you will go about daily tasks, such as planting crops, watering them, and selling stuff at market, etc.) While you are doing things the rest of the world will also grow, and change for example a village may expand, or bandits may attack another village, and burn down houses.

Hi,

I support this kind of projects. Do you need help in any way?
Once I have the very basics down I will start recruiting extra programmers, so later on I will, but not at the moment.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 02:05:22 pm »

Weren't you working on a Fallout Pen and Paper game last time? I mean seriously...
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 02:10:21 pm »

Weren't you working on a Fallout Pen and Paper game last time? I mean seriously...
Yeah that failed I couldn't pull it far enough from Fallout to keep a lawsuit at bay, so I quit, because I would rather not get sued. This is a game I have wanted since I was 5, and it is my dream game I have been working on concepts for three years now, so please don't start this, because I simply couldn't do the other one with out getting sued.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 02:12:35 pm »

Yeah that failed I couldn't pull it far enough from Fallout to keep a lawsuit at bay, so I quit, because I would rather not get sued. This is a game I have wanted since I was 5, and it is my dream game I have been working on concepts for three years now, so please don't start this, because I simply couldn't do the other one with out getting sued.
Wait a minute, you stopped working on the Fallout PnP because you thought you'd get sued? All im saying is, you have a tendency to start projects then abandon them.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 02:15:01 pm »

Wait a minute, you stopped working on the Fallout PnP because you thought you'd get sued? All im saying is, you have a tendency to start projects then abandon them.
Oh well then yeah that is why I had to drop it, because Bethesda is a bit jumpy about their stuff, and I really can't afford to get sued.

Oscuro1987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 02:19:04 pm »

Yeah look at Notch. They almost sued him, lol.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 02:20:50 pm »

I highly doubt Bethesda would sue a fan making a free Pen and Paper RPG, but i'll just leave you guys to the possible game that may or may not be made.
Welcome to Reality.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 03:43:23 pm »

Not really as when you start the world the map will be set, and several villages will already be place for you to explore, or live in. (As in no Random Generating the Map) On top of that this game will also contain varying different types of game play (Ex: As a King you will control armies, and rule cities. Ordering certain structures to be built, and controlling supplies, gear, etc. for your soldiers will be part of the core mechanics of a King. Then, As a Farmer you will go about daily tasks, such as planting crops, watering them, and selling stuff at market, etc.) While you are doing things the rest of the world will also grow, and change for example a village may expand, or bandits may attack another village, and burn down houses.

I think you misunderstood the question. Are you planning on using ASCII for graphical representation?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 04:55:42 pm »

Oh wow major fail, but yep I plan to use ASCII graphics as it will allow me to make the game a lot faster, and quite a bit easier though if I can get someone good with sprites I might adapt a tileset version of it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 05:34:35 pm »

I'll be watching this.

Too bad I don't know how to code, nor do I have the time for that.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 06:55:09 pm »

I have been wondering should I keep this strictly non-fantasy, or should I add in fantasy elements?
Pages: [1] 2 3