Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this be ...

Non-Fantasy
Very Light Fantasy (Extremely Rare Mythical Creatures, Magic, etc.)
Light Fantasy (Rare Mythical Creature, Magic, Etc.)
Medium Fantasy (Magic, and Mythical Beings are common)
Heavy Fantasy (Both are abundant, but most Magic is very weak)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dark Ages: A Game of War, Trade, and ... Farming ?  (Read 4747 times)

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Ages: A Game of War, Trade, and ... Farming ?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 10:44:22 am »

There are too many fantasy games. If you made a historically accurate game about the dark ages, my inner early medieval history buff would be overjoyed.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 10:47:46 am »

If enough people ask for it I will eventually make a fantasy version once I have most of the actual game completed.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 11:27:30 am »

If enough people ask for it I will eventually make a fantasy version once I have most of the actual game completed.

Yeah, it'd be great if you could make fantasy stuff toggle-able.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 04:56:30 pm »

It is coming along slowly, but I am learning how to program, so that is expected. Also if anyone wants to help out they could research kingdoms, town names, and historical figures of the Middle ages, and PM me what they learn. Note: Anyone who helps out will get credit for what they helped me with.

Acid

• Bay Watcher
  • Self-diagnosed hardcore lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 05:02:08 pm »

OK, I don't want to sound like an ass, but here's my (negative) comments:
Firstly, I have to agree with BDthemag. I'm a high master lurker here, and I have noticed that you, adwarf, tend to create unrealistic goals for yourself and never actually reach them. The Fallout pnp and some Oblivion RTD (CMIIW), among others, are the projects with big aims and no future I have in mind.
I'm saying this not to discourage you, oh no, jsut to point out that in teh long run you will be wasting time and energy chasing after unreachable things. And I do understand that this game might be one of your dreams, but it is extremely complex (something that would give doubts to even a skilled programmer) and, as you stated, you have never done any coding. Think about it. It might take a month to grasp the basic concepts of programming. Three to four months to memorise all the functions of a language. And at least a year of constant programming exercise before you finally do not feel the need to open up the documentation file to look up how something works. Even if we're optimistic and you do mane to master the language, starting from zero, after a year, only then you can start constructing the engine - after all, a game as complex as your simply requires major structurisation (? grammar nazi, I choose you).
Well, enough with the flak. My advice would be to keep your vision in mind and not to expect to begin actually coding the game (that is, writing functions that wouldn't be scrapped after a short time due to your rapidly increasing knowledge of the language) in the following year. Start off small, read a bunch of tutorials and work every day.
Finally, I highly doubt that you will stick to your idea for long enough. I mean, I'm a lot like you - a walking bag of concepts. But now I understand that they're just that - some thoughts and ideas. In my case, they disappear if I do not start expressing them the day they come to my mind. Sure, this game might look like something you could be working on for the rest of your life, but, believe me, in a young age things come and go.

Enough ranting! To sum up, sit down and rethink this whole thing. Does it have any possibility of seeing the light of day in the coming year or two? As I see it, this just might become one of your 'the higher they are, teh harder they fall[out]' ideas.

(sorry :( it's late and I don't feel like going to sleep yet, so I have to kill some time)
(also sorry if it's incomprehensible)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 05:20:27 pm »

I understand what your saying, but I am going to college to become a programmer, because I have always loved games, and this is, as you stated my dream game. I know I most likely finish the entire game, but I will at least try to make it. As for the goal that is just what I wish the game to come to my current aim is to just get all the base stuff in (The Map, Towns, Factions, Combat, Crafting, Items, NPCs, Damage System, and Character Generation) I know I most likely won't have a version I want to release until sometime after I finish college just doing it myself, but as I said earlier I am going to try.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2011, 01:11:27 am »

I've been working on a pet project of similar scope (but modern-times) for the last year, so here's some things I've learned from my experience.

Spoiler: Assorted Tips (click to show/hide)

I could probably go on forever about my experiences with this style of work and particular strategies that have succeeded in the past, but if I really did go on forever I would never post it and you would never read it, so that would be a waste of both of our time.

To sum up, sit down and rethink this whole thing. Does it have any possibility of seeing the light of day in the coming year or two? As I see it, this just might become one of your 'the higher they are, teh harder they fall[out]' ideas.

I agree with Acid that it's a dauntingly large amount of work, but you're not going to finish a big project by saying "No, that project is too big." It's much better to start a lot of things but never finish than to never do anything at all.

Acid

• Bay Watcher
  • Self-diagnosed hardcore lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2011, 02:12:36 am »

Yeah, I didn't want to seem negative. The point I was trying to get across (but seemingly failed) was that adwarf should firstly try learning programming, and see if he likes it at all. Yes, he stated that making games was something he would like to do for the rest of his life, but as he, apparently, didn't even try writing games, this ambitious project seems over-ambitious to me.

I have to note that I do encourage him to make this game - after all, the idea caught my attention - it just seems wasteful to create a to-do list and post it for everyone to see if you don't even know how to do the tasks that are in it. I say come back in a year or two when you have somethign to show us :)

(man, I still sound negative... maybe I'm just getting old)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2011, 02:19:41 am »

This looks like it could be awesome. ptw.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 02:20:52 am »

Yeah, I didn't want to seem negative. The point I was trying to get across (but seemingly failed) was that adwarf should firstly try learning programming, and see if he likes it at all. Yes, he stated that making games was something he would like to do for the rest of his life, but as he, apparently, didn't even try writing games, this ambitious project seems over-ambitious to me.

I have to note that I do encourage him to make this game - after all, the idea caught my attention - it just seems wasteful to create a to-do list and post it for everyone to see if you don't even know how to do the tasks that are in it. I say come back in a year or two when you have somethign to show us :)

(man, I still sound negative... maybe I'm just getting old)
I totally agree, idea's are great and all but unless you can do something other than being an ideas guy/writer your not going to get far.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

MechPlasma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2011, 10:30:18 am »

I don't disapprove of large projects, but honestly? It looks like you haven't really thought this out. You're thinking too general - you're concerned with the overall "Play as anyone in a medieval setting and do anything" thing, but you're not thinking about how to do that from a game point of view, or thinking about how it'll actually be any fun. Which is... pretty much the entirety of game design. All you have here is just a basic premise, and are just expecting it to work.

But mostly, if you haven't made even a small videogame before, you're instantly going to fail. Being a game designer means knowing a bit about everything - knowing what music suits what mood, knowing what graphical stuff suits the game and what makes a worse user experience, and knowing a good deal about programming first-hand. If you've never done programming, you literally cannot know what is easy to do and what isn't. And a change of mind half-way through development because you then realise you can't do something is extremely time-consuming.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2011, 10:44:26 am »

I know where you guys are coming from, and I have actually took that I know nothing about programming into consideration, I got several books on it to help, but I am not going to drop this project. It might take me awhile to get anything for you guys to play (Most likely sometime during college), but I still want to work on the game no matter how much you tell me it is going to be difficult, or impossible, because I really want to do this. Even if I know nothing about it I can still try, and that doesn't mean I have to do everything by myself I can get help, but I don't want to get that until I have the basics down.

As for me failing instantly, so what, if I fail I will just try again, and again, and again until I get it right, because, like I said earlier, I really want to do this game. As for making it fun I will take suggestions on how to make it more fun, and interesting, but I will still try to do this even if I didn't have anyone that actually liked the idea, and concept for this.

MechPlasma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2011, 12:29:24 pm »

As for me failing instantly, so what, if I fail I will just try again, and again, and again until I get it right, because, like I said earlier, I really want to do this game.
Umm...
Hold on, you are making this game for fun, right? And not just so that you can say "Look at this awesome game I made"?
Because if it's the former, then you're going to quickly find out that this is not DF; losing is not fun. And if it's the latter... then you have some really messed up priorities.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2011, 02:36:42 pm »

As for me failing instantly, so what, if I fail I will just try again, and again, and again until I get it right, because, like I said earlier, I really want to do this game.
Umm...
Hold on, you are making this game for fun, right? And not just so that you can say "Look at this awesome game I made"?
Because if it's the former, then you're going to quickly find out that this is not DF; losing is not fun. And if it's the latter... then you have some really messed up priorities.
Yes I am making this for fun. As for the second part if you are talking about in game I know that is precisely what I want, your character isn't some super soldier who can slay fifty foes, and come out unscathed (Though it is possible). You can die, and if you do your dead for good, though that is toggle able, I want the player to have to think about whether or not attacking that bandit camp alone is even possible.

MechPlasma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 08:38:38 pm »

I was talking about making the game itself. The whole "failing a lot" thing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3