Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: My secret shame - I've never built a magma trap  (Read 13497 times)

Asymptote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My secret shame - I've never built a magma trap
« on: October 29, 2011, 12:56:12 pm »

I've always been afraid of forgetting to make one vital piece of equipment non-magma safe, the massive FPS drop (just turning on tempreture halves my FPS in my current fort).. but mostly the perceived amount of effort involved.

I'm no stranger to hard work... my current fort Wetringed is a 20x20, 45 zlevel above ground tower, made entirely from marble, running water, 3000 excess power, drainable moat, etc etc. But I've started on a magma spewing death-trap for the entrance, and it just seems too much. I've got the power to where it needs to be, my magma reservoir is slowly filling as I type, but... as far as I can tell, I will need a magma pump stack of 80+ levels.

Tell me true, oh forum, is it worth it?

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My secret shame - I've never built a magma trap
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 01:08:52 pm »

Wait... did you actually ask that question seriously? :o

Every fort can be improved with !!MAGMA!! of course it is. It's (mostly) pointless, labour intensive and incredibly dangerous and therefore very very dwarfy indeed!

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 01:10:18 pm »

Tell me true, oh forum, is it worth it?
Is pope Catholic?
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 01:17:41 pm »

Instead of a massive pumpstack, you could always try a magma piston.  I haven't tried it myself, but here's the wiki for it.  It's not really any less work than making a pump stack, but it should be far less punishing on your fps.
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Asymptote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 01:29:19 pm »

OK so I guess I will go for it... the piston is something I would like to try but the layout is all wrong for this fort. Looks interesting tho.

So now my dwarves are running into my slowly filling magma resevoir, picking up half-melted microcline, and storing it in my food stock pile. Why are the doing that? I dont have a single stone stock pile and just double checked the food stock pile and there's no wierdness there. Not all of them are on fire, but some of them are.

Asymptote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 01:30:53 pm »

OH GOD THE WINE IS EXPLODING

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 01:39:39 pm »

Hey, they are dwarfes who didn't have ‼MAGMA‼ for a looong, looong time, and are looking for ‼FUN‼ by making the booze explode.
What's wrong?
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 01:47:43 pm »

What's wrong is that they're intentionally destroying the booze! Those aren't dwarves, they're short elves in fake beards! Kill them before it's too late!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 01:52:19 pm »

...inb4 'it's too late'
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 02:17:14 pm »

Don't fear the reaper, my friend.

If you do it all right you have a badge on your belt proving your dorfiness. If you fail, you get to see all your dwarves run around on fire. win-win.

Remember, losing is Fun.

!!LOSING!! is hilarious.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 02:23:20 pm »

OH GOD THE WINE IS EXPLODING

Sigged. Made me giggle.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 02:34:52 pm »

Asymptote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 03:57:37 pm »

OK, so sit rep.
- 16 dwarves killed pretty much instantly in a massive alcohol fireball. I had no idea that could happen... deadly. Altho, somehow not a single of my 70+ children bought it  >:(
- food and alcohol stores still OK, altho lost all my legendary lavish meals. Luckily lots of plants & alcohol also stored down near the farms/stills.
- tantruming beginning now... my dwarves are generally pretty happy so I dont expect toooo much... broken chairs etc. Luckily? the captain of the guard was flambe'd in the explosion so no brutal reprisals
- pump stack completion status: 0%  :)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 04:14:55 pm »

Huh. Odd that they started grabbing firey microcline. Did you have any of them marked for dumping?

And yes, alcohol + fire = ‼FUN‼
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 04:15:04 pm »

Well, see?
They had reserves, and they just NEEDED a good explosion to look at.
And be engulfed in.
And die in.
Well, they ARE dwarfes after all...
greetz
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4