Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will 'flavor' (i.e. furniture, wandering peasants) ever be featured?  (Read 692 times)

corporalcody

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

First off, I would like to say that I am thoroughly enjoying Dwarf Fortress adventure mode. I am a huge fan of rouge-like games, and the adventure mode in Dwarf Fortress really comes near the top of the list of my favorites.

Anyways, my question is whether we will ever see 'flavor' incorporated into the worlds of our adventures. I remember, though I may be mistaken (it was a loonnng time ago) that buildings had beds, chairs, tables, and the like inside of them in a prior version of the game's adventure mode.

Though it would honestly add little to the gameplay dynamics of the world and our quests, reincorporating furniture into buildings, fortresses, lairs, and the likes would add a huge amount of flavor to a game that is already known for its incredible depth. As it stands right now, it is incredibly 'bland' to enter a town and see a building full of peasants and not a single piece of furniture or decoration. I suppose it simply detracts from the 'believability' factor.

Similarly, I was wondering if we will ever see roaming peasants, farmers, hunters, or the likes. As it stands right now, towns are composed of citizens who sit in their houses and shops and never leave. It's a shame, because it would be incredible to enter towns that are bustling and full of activity on the street, seeing farmers out on their farmland tending to their crops, being in the wilderness and witnessing hunters seeking (and killing) their hunt, or witnessing bands of warriors out for an invasion or raid. As it seems right now, the world is very... static. I go into legends and read about the descriptions of great warriors seeking out and killing great beasts, why can't we actually witness such events for ourselves?

Anyways, purpose of this thread was to see if these ideas are ever going to be implemented in the long-run, if they have ever been discussed, and what the deal is.

Thanks, Cody

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Will 'flavor' (i.e. furniture, wandering peasants) ever be featured?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 02:58:13 pm »

Basically, yes.

You can see future goals here and follow current development here
*Hugs*