Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: advice for pro.s  (Read 9101 times)

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
Re: advice for pro.s
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 02:33:55 am »

The trick is to get him digging before the gobbos see him.

i.e. digging your miners the second you see the announcement screen.

If that's the case, I can hit [m] -> [a], then scroll to the right twice to highlight the name of the Burro[w] that was previously set up encompassing in the inside of my fort, and press [enter/return]. All non-military personnel will head to the fortress proper and stay there, so the miners will be safe and my soldiers can still fight.

Once the fight's over, I can do the same steps to toggle the civilian burrow-restriction off.

I went into detail for anyone who's reading, it's not actually aimed at you, Acetech.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 02:56:27 am »

Just a quick question though: Why the hell would you have your miner that far outside your fort in the first place?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 03:01:53 am »

Just a quick question though: Why the hell would you have your miner that far outside your fort in the first place?

To level the embark site. I routinely scrape the entire surface to be 1 z-level if I don't explicitly have cool geographic formations resulting from cliff levels.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 06:59:33 am »

Well, i tend to leave it mostly as-is aside from what's needed for my buildings, so chances are i won't have to worry too much about my Miner being stuck outside :P.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.

Rinnix

• Bay Watcher
  • astral tit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 01:29:59 pm »

Most of the time I just draft the miner as a recruit whenever he/she is near goblins/whatever is attacking. I've had a miner take on lots of sieges and ambushes with barely a scratch with no help.
Miners are badasses.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 02:12:35 pm »

To level the embark site. I routinely scrape the entire surface to be 1 z-level if I don't explicitly have cool geographic formations resulting from cliff levels.

Haha, I do exactly the same! Actually it is the first thing I do after embark, the miners train to legendary by digging soil that way, I don't let them touch any stone before they finish (yeah OCD much ;) )

As for the thread topic, how are you going to make the miner dig if he just goes to get a drink as you said? Do burrows stop him from that?

Also in my fortress it is usually the opposite way - miners are first to face combat. Legendary miners are my main defence during the first 2-3 years, along with a few marksdwarves to cripple the attackers while miners finish them. They make great fighters, they can bat flying bolts / arrows off the air with their picks!
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 04:16:19 pm »

Just designate the goblins to be mined, he'll get the message.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 10:08:20 pm »

how do i delete the page. i really am tired of raging and mad people. im sorry im a dewb to the forum and i retract my comment.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 10:50:52 pm »

You can lock it.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 12:47:37 am »

Or just ignore all the bad comments.

In all seriousness, it's customary for me to build 'safety pits' around certain areas outside of my fortress. These are just holes in the ground with a hatchcover covering the stairwell. They can be as simple as holes or you can put beds, tables, and food/drink in them. You can even connect them to a fortress and line the connecting tunnels with traps and/or floodgates. This way if any dwarf is caught outside for whatever reason and can't make inside the fortress walls they at least have a secure area to run to.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 10:41:04 am »

In all seriousness, it's customary for me to build 'safety pits' around certain areas outside of my fortress. These are just holes in the ground with a hatchcover covering the stairwell. They can be as simple as holes or you can put beds, tables, and food/drink in them. You can even connect them to a fortress and line the connecting tunnels with traps and/or floodgates. This way if any dwarf is caught outside for whatever reason and can't make inside the fortress walls they at least have a secure area to run to.

This is the best thing I've seen in this post and have acutally learnt a useful little trick. Thank you.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 10:52:18 am »

how do i delete the page. i really am tired of raging and mad people. im sorry im a dewb to the forum and i retract my comment.

I thought it was a good tip, and I've been playing for over two years.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 11:58:53 am »

This is the best thing I've seen in this post and have acutally learnt a useful little trick. Thank you.
It's a good trick, but it seems like it would require a lot of cludging around with burrows. Easier to just let the fellow die. Dwarfier to build a wall around the whole map.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 03:52:07 pm »

It's a good trick, but it seems like it would require a lot of cludging around with burrows. Easier to just let the fellow die. Dwarfier to build a wall around the whole map.

Yes and no. If you expect a great many dwarves to be caught outside due to say, mass looting of destroyed enemy sieges, strategic targeting of weak enemy squads, megaproject work, or mass woodcutting, if might be worth the sheer number of potentially lost dwarves to set this up.

But the wall around the whole map is something I have done before instead ;)
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 06:36:48 pm »

Protip: A dwarf with a little bronze armor, an iron sword, and a copper pick MIGHT not be sufficient defense if you are settling in the caverns.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4