Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: advice for pro.s  (Read 9124 times)

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
Re: advice for pro.s
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 10:05:08 pm »

In the first goblin ambush (happened at year 4), all three of my legendary herbalists died. Since I had a farm running by this time, I then decided that I never needed to gather plants again. It's year 11 of my fort right now, and I was right. So simply shifting your industries away from the surface world helps prevent dwarf death to surface hazard.  :P

Seriously, it's a valid form of keeping your dwarves alive. Risk mitigation. You'll never be in trouble if you don't expose yourself in the first place.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2011, 12:04:54 am »

It's a good trick, but it seems like it would require a lot of cludging around with burrows. Easier to just let the fellow die. Dwarfier to build a wall around the whole map.
It should be pretty simple if your 'fortress' burrow is the whole map less the unsafe outdoor areas. The tiles for the hideyholes would be selected along with the rest of the map, and I assume that one burrow tile would be as good as another.

An extra security measure would be a U-bend in the tunnel in, so that the hatch is over a down stair. Right now, building destroyers can't do their thing on a tile right above their heads.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2011, 04:41:21 pm »

fuck this can someone strike down this page
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2011, 05:12:28 pm »

Why? There is a valid discussion going on.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2011, 05:30:51 pm »

In the first goblin ambush (happened at year 4), all three of my legendary herbalists died. Since I had a farm running by this time, I then decided that I never needed to gather plants again. It's year 11 of my fort right now, and I was right. So simply shifting your industries away from the surface world helps prevent dwarf death to surface hazard.  :P

Seriously, it's a valid form of keeping your dwarves alive. Risk mitigation. You'll never be in trouble if you don't expose yourself in the first place.

Loud whispers has become enRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGED

Y NO FARM FOR PLANTS?!!!!!! Geez, pro above ground tips, build farm. Dig down for storage/put stockpiles above ground if you only ever want to dig to quarry/mine. Build a wall around your fortress, complete surround with no entrances save above, or if a dwarf de-constructs a wall. Once you have defences set up/houses built, build a gate house to easily let in traders and migrants. In savage biomes/evil, marksdwarves should be your top priority, and militia dwarves should at least have 1-5 marksdwarves in them. This is important in the beginning unless you really enjoy job spam and vultures, buzzards... Draltha's.......

And then....

You build.
Current above ground fort population - 130+, can't remember how many years it's been running now.

EVERYONE is in the military and is in training.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2011, 08:47:10 pm »

I walled my fort away from the outside world once. It was boring.

Now I intentionally put my dwarves in harms way for my sole amusement allow my dwarves the pleasure of surface company. Besides, trees are on the surface. I can't not cut down surface trees, if I didn't the elves would win.

Yes, an archway that goes up and then down into the ground positions the hatchcover to not be destroyed and protects the dwarf entirely. I don't choose that method because I don't view it as Fun. :p You can also wall or channel the entire map edge forcing anything that enters the map to go through your small trap riddled pathway....but that isn't Fun either. Besides, if you protected all of your population from attack, how would the stupid ones die?

Jaxler, if you don't like this thread then don't read it. You can also lock it. Or you can let us continue our discussion. Word.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 08:52:00 pm »

I walled my fort away from the outside world once. It was boring.

Now I intentionally put my dwarves in harms way for my sole amusement allow my dwarves the pleasure of surface company. Besides, trees are on the surface. I can't not cut down surface trees, if I didn't the elves would win.

Yes, an archway that goes up and then down into the ground positions the hatchcover to not be destroyed and protects the dwarf entirely. I don't choose that method because I don't view it as Fun. :p You can also wall or channel the entire map edge forcing anything that enters the map to go through your small trap riddled pathway....but that isn't Fun either. Besides, if you protected all of your population from attack, how would the stupid ones die?

Jaxler, if you don't like this thread then don't read it. You can also lock it. Or you can let us continue our discussion. Word.

A total above ground fort is a fort with no underground structures, beyond quarries/mega projects/pipes. A curtain wall is a pretty much requirement in savage and evil biomes, or where goblin visitors are frequent... Otherwise..... OH GOD THE CORPSES EVERYWHERE.

And I don't like underground fortresses, no !!FUN!! :D

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2011, 08:56:53 pm »

You seem to be under the illusion that we give a shit about what happens to dwarves who are too dumb to live.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2011, 08:59:09 pm »

Oh...I added basements in my above ground houses for personalized food/drink storage. It just seemed fitting for me that they had basements for storage.

The last city I did got invaded by alligators and honey badgers halfway through completion. I'm still trying to figure out how two wild animals were on the map at the same time, I don't pay much attention to them unless they're hostile but I could have sworn only one species was allowed on a map at a time.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2011, 09:00:17 pm »

Oh...I added basements in my above ground houses for personalized food/drink storage. It just seemed fitting for me that they had basements for storage.

The last city I did got invaded by alligators and honey badgers halfway through completion. I'm still trying to figure out how two wild animals were on the map at the same time, I don't pay much attention to them unless they're hostile but I could have sworn only one species was allowed on a map at a time.

Nope, loadsa critters can migrate onto your map at a time. Cue buzzard and vultures everywhere!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2011, 09:45:22 am »

Y NO FARM FOR PLANTS?!!!!!!
Legendary plant gatherers always pull up 4 or 5 plants per successful attempt. Hey, it matters to me.

I do believe I have all the plants on the map inside my walls anyway -- it's mostly a mountain map and the soil below the surface has been dug out for extra grazing space. Well, there are a couple of plants outside the walls where the brook is diverted into the murky pools (hot biome), but ehh.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2011, 10:59:26 am »

Loud whispers has become enRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGED

Y NO FARM FOR PLANTS?!!!!!! Geez, pro above ground tips, build farm. Dig down for storage/put stockpiles above ground if you only ever want to dig to quarry/mine. Build a wall around your fortress, complete surround with no entrances save above, or if a dwarf de-constructs a wall. Once you have defences set up/houses built, build a gate house to easily let in traders and migrants. In savage biomes/evil, marksdwarves should be your top priority, and militia dwarves should at least have 1-5 marksdwarves in them. This is important in the beginning unless you really enjoy job spam and vultures, buzzards... Draltha's.......

And then....

You build.
Current above ground fort population - 130+, can't remember how many years it's been running now.

EVERYONE is in the military and is in training.

Why would I do any of that if I can just grab some plants to start off with (to get seeds, while the embark points are spent somewhere else), and then have my above-ground farm underground, where I've channeled light to come in from the surface?

I only have a wall around the very entrance staircase on the surface. I don't need to expose myself to the surface besides fighting off sieges before they get to my staircase.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2011, 03:07:31 pm »

Quote from: Protactinium
Why would I do any of that if I can just grab some plants to start off with (to get seeds, while the embark points are spent somewhere else), and then have my above-ground farm underground, where I've channeled light to come in from the surface?

I only have a wall around the very entrance staircase on the surface. I don't need to expose myself to the surface besides fighting off sieges before they get to my staircase.

Quote from: tolkafox
Besides, if you protected all of your population from attack, how would the stupid ones die?

The measure of a dwarf's value is how fast they can run to/from a goblin.

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2011, 09:57:15 pm »

Nope, loadsa critters can migrate onto your map at a time. Cue buzzard and vultures everywhere!

I cannot express in words my utter loathing of vulture packs.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2011, 10:16:16 pm »

I can!

Or rather, Necro can.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4