Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.21.95.19a Released  (Read 2916 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.21.95.19a Released
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 04:52:00 am »

My book keeper was actually struck down by a berzerking craftsdwarf.

Oh well, I suppose something might kill the liason eventually. Evidentally he can't die from hunger, and appears to be immune to thirst and weariness.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

DakaSha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2006, 03:52:00 pm »

man you should really release the next version with a change in the sleep command.. like beef said mabye a y/n prompt.

ive hit shift - z so many times during a battle its pathetic. of course thats just my own stupidity but i cant be the only one.

but really having the sleep command right next to the attack command isnt really all that great

not criticizing here.the game is already a masterpiece  :)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2006, 04:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>I was unable to sleep.  I shall try again soon.</STRONG>

Toady has begun acting strangely...

Toady has claimed a coder's computer!

You hear Toady mumbling about 'variables' and 'bugged saves.'

Toady has gone insane!

[ August 13, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2006, 09:47:00 pm »

DakaSha. You can always change the keybindings, but there still needs to be some sort of confirmation.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2006, 10:44:00 pm »

mini-bug: I requested the humans to bring me longland beer on their caravan, but when they arrive the next year i only see ( Barrel (Mahongony)) with a content of ().
Methinks someone put down one too many spaces.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2006, 11:30:00 pm »

He he he, I guess they drank it all and forgot to refill it.

So, this is the release thread.  JT's 3 worlds are HERE, although again, the FTP is scaring/scarring me, so I'm not 100% sure.

I might yet put a version up tonight, but I've been doing a lot of foruming here and so on.  I think that's good, since things are getting fixed and clarified.  I'll still try to get something up.  I also read the somethingawful.com forum thread.  More good-natured enthusiasm!  And they mentioned fountains.

[ August 14, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 01:22:00 am »

Hi, just gotta say I love the game. But I'm getting a wierd bug. The game itself works fine, but every time I try to save the game, or even to abandon it (which I tried after backing up the save) the game crashes.

It's probably my fault for moving saves around everywhere to back them up in case of a crash, but annoying none the less.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2006, 01:30:00 am »

Ah, do you copy a backup "save" folder over the other one?  There are various new files that wouldn't disappear and it might get confused about and so on.  Crashes aren't really excuseable (I mean, other than the It's an Alpha! excuse I'll be giving for years), so I could figure out what exactly it's complaining about and be more helpful.  In general, backing up the entire "data/save" and moving them around in pristine pieces has been fairly safe.  If that's what you've been doing, there might be...  another issue.

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2006, 02:28:00 am »

This doesn't really belong here, but I won't start a new thread just for it:

I was short of alcohol for my dwarves, and they were getting sloppy because of it. I had some problems with people tagging barrels as soon as they were ready, and I had to make about 4 or 5 barrels before the brewer got one. Actually he got two in a row then.

But anyways. I thought I was covered for a while on the alcohol front with the two brand new barrels of ale and played on happily. After some time I realized that people were still complaining about the lack of alcohol. I started to investigate the matter and noticed that my barrels of ale were gone. Soon I noticed what had happened:

My cook had made BISCUITS out of all the ale!

..and it seems the biscuits don't contain alcohol. Damn.

Well, now I have empty barrels, though.. back to the brewery.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2006, 02:37:00 am »

I had actually copied the backup save folder over the current one, so that could well be the cause.

If it is, what is the solution? I just tried deleting the save folder and putting the backup in, but apparently i've managed to infect my backup with whatever the problem is as well.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2006, 02:44:00 am »

If you have a nice clean backup, it should work.  If the backup is one that had been previously handled in this fashion, then it's likely the unit files have been mangled beyond repair.  You could save this folder and see if the behavior happens in one of the worlds that is up HERE.    Then we'd at least be reasonably sure it isn't a larger issue with how things are being handled over there.

[ August 14, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2006, 02:52:00 am »

I happen to have another generated world sitting around, and I just sucessfully saved in it with no problem.

I guess all I can say is... whoops. Time to start over  :(

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2006, 02:59:00 am »

The alpha testing process is traumatic for everybody, though people seem to be having fun as well.  I should write a manual section in the next few days about some of these meta-game issues, since they come up, often violently.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2006, 04:04:00 am »

I've put another up:

Download

Changes

It should resolve some of the hauling issues, as well as problems with glacial maps and erroneously redded out plants.  Also adds a farm fertilizer interface that removes the message spam (there's a bit on that in the manual now).  Sleeping confirmation will have to wait a little bit -- bind it to "SHIFT+F9" for now, or something hard to hit for another day or two.

I added some other txts to the zip.  One with general notes, and one that has the changes I've made to files like interface.txt, so you can update your personal binding files.  For instance, I added two new farm keys, so I included there codes there.  I have a vague feeling that I left a key out this time, but maybe I'm just being paranoid.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2006, 04:16:00 am »

quote:
Changed hauling job allocation so that there can be as many haul jobs for each haul type as there are haulers of that type

Ermmm...could you elaborate on that ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4