Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.21.95.19a Released  (Read 2917 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.21.95.19a Released
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2006, 04:46:00 am »

So, right before the release, we were playtesting, and we were like, okay, let's make the haul stuff sleeker!  So I put in a bunch of caps and so on.  For instance, there can't be more haul jobs that dwarves.  But that's very bad, because all of those dwarves could be food haulers, it makes a bunch of food jobs, then you immediately change them all to item haulers, and the food jobs hang in the job queue without being done.  This is what happened to some of the saves I've been sent.  Now, it still has some caps, but they are strictly broken down by profession.  So, 7 food haulers, and it posts 7 food haul jobs.  It used to post every single job everywhere, but that is bad as well, since the job AI lags the game in fortresses that have 50+ pages of haul jobs (this happened when people mined out huge swaths of the mountain, and then suddenly placed giant mining piles, for instance).

The new system might be buggy -- I tested it for a while, and it seemed to resolve the issues in the saves I've received.  The same is true of the new farming interface and the glacial maps.  But I guess that's what you guys are for.  The new release notes txt has save file backup instructions anyway...

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2006, 04:51:00 am »

I find the release notes included with the new version somewhat bittersweet.

At least bad things might not happen to other people!

Also, I'd just like to say you've been really great at helping people out of problems, and I for one really appreciate it  :)

[ August 14, 2006: Message edited by: LordNagash ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2006, 04:54:00 am »

Yeah, sorry about that.  It won't be the last time either.  Late game will probably have some issues I'm unaware of, and super fortresses with 200 dwarves will suddenly cease to exist.  It's really a frustrating process sometimes.

edit:  he he he, after the edit up there it makes it look like I'm apologizing for being helpful

[ August 14, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2006, 06:45:00 am »

What's with these guys in a "Strange mood"? One Mafol "Controlsabres" has seized a jewelry and is demanding rough gems. The problem is that no-one seems to be taking gems to him. I have pretty much rough gems lying around, but he just stands there, yelling about it. When is he going to stop?
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2006, 06:52:00 am »

Yeah, that's... annoying. Really needs to have what sort of gems narrowed down. And what sort of rocks. Whatever. It's difficult to know what they want given such a broad category.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2006, 06:58:00 am »

Is it possible to have announcements scroll slowly, but only once, and have them not cover "idlers" count ?

Right now some announcement can hang there forever, like "the weather has cleared", and its really annoying to manually "erase" it just to see "idlers" again.

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2006, 07:31:00 am »

Ok, now the strange jeweler went insane. His profile says he likes Ruby, so I guess that's the gem he wanted.. Haven't seen any in the game yet, though. Too bad for him.

EDIT: He's stricken by melancholy and it looks like he's walking towards the river.. If he's trying to drown himself, well.. good luck for him, 'cause it's a "Freezing" region and the river is covered by full ice even during the summer.

[ August 14, 2006: Message edited by: Aristharus ]

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2006, 08:42:00 am »

I'm not sure if this is because of the sudden swarm of nobles or the new version, but I can't seem to scroll down the assignment page. I can only assign stuff to the first few people. :\

Edit: It only seems to be so with beds.

[ August 14, 2006: Message edited by: Virtz ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2006, 12:05:00 pm »

Beds only?  strange.  I can check...  strange.  Had you been able to scroll beds before?

With the moods, the profile often contains useful hints, and I might remove you needing to check anything but the [q] hints and the profile to figure it out.  Also, for gems like ruby, there should be a depth check, since rubies are harder to find.  It currently depth checks on metals (against your deepest tunnel) to see if it's a reasonable request.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2006, 12:08:00 pm »

Yes, I got the new version shortly after a migration with 5 nobles came (making the total population about 143 now) and now I can't assign beds beyond the first page of the list.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2006, 04:43:00 pm »

Oh, damn. Now my save got corrupted because of a crash. It started crashing regularly at a certain point after saving and, since I couldn't find anything in gamelog, I thought about trying it in fullscreen to see how that works. The game ran fine this time, I thought I had evaded the crash point and attempted to save. And that's when the game chose to crash. :C

Wanting to atleast preserve a site, I took an old save from an older version folder and attempted to abandon it. That crashed when saving data on the units on-map. So basicly the whole generated world is gone. :\

Hope it's just a version incompatibility and that a newly generated world will work right. :S

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2006, 04:46:00 pm »

Does it have anything to do with the discussion above about overwriting saves?  Or is this a crash that occurred for no obvious reason -- if you can send a save folder with a reproducible crash that would help quite a bit.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2006, 05:02:00 pm »

Well, I'm certain the original crash occured for other reasons, but that's just a corrupted bunch of files now. Concerning the other, I might have overwritten the old save. I'll double-check.

Edit: Yup, the old save just didn't work right due to over-writing the newer one. Oughta backup files before saving from now on. :\

[ August 14, 2006: Message edited by: Virtz ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2006, 05:54:00 pm »

Ah, Virtz, the new nobles probably started your economy -- now you can't assign beds, you rent them out.  The ones that appear in the assignment list are nobles and legendary workers.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2006, 06:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Yeah, sorry about that.  It won't be the last time either.  Late game will probably have some issues I'm unaware of, and super fortresses with 200 dwarves will suddenly cease to exist.</STRONG>
We all need to remember to back up our save games, not just to avoid bugs but so we can keep testing the late game...  It probably hasn't been tested as much as the beginning, after all.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4