Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weaponize the Night!  (Read 5957 times)

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
Weaponize the Night!
« on: November 01, 2011, 01:38:43 pm »

Just as the title says. Who all is planning how they're going to work with the new creatures of the night, now that they can be your dwarves?

I, for one, intend to have were-thing woodcutters and hunters, just for that one-in-a-million situation where a goblin ambush happens during a full moon.

An ambush! Curse them!
Urist McWoodsman has transformed into a WereBear!x3
Tholtig HuntFace has transformed into a WereBear!
Om FearFish has transformed into a WereCarp!

I haven't quite worked out what I'm going to do with vampires, though, since they apparently run around murdering people... I guess I'll just have to wait and see how often they do so. ಠ_ಠ

Edit: Derp, didn't look at dwarf mode discussion. Ignore this, then.
EditEdit: Dunno why I didn't realize that one of these probably already existed...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 01:41:52 pm by Deimos56 »
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponize the Night!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 02:32:05 pm »

I think it's been posted.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=95443.0

[edit] derp myself, didn't read your post ;)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 03:06:19 pm »

Althought that one doesn't really talk about were-creatures that much...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 04:22:01 pm »

Every full moon, I shall launch my collection of were-echidnas at the invaders/traders/diplomat/my own dwarves. :P
Just imagine the damage giant echidna cannonballs could do... Or how about were-pufferfish? Or were-crocs?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 04:28:03 pm »

...No. Just no. Because the night belongs to lovers.
Love, scriver~

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 05:59:04 pm »

I, for one, will search for a dwarven civilization that worships at least one badass god of Death/War.
Then i will build a temple dedicated to that god. All Vampires that show up will be put into a squad stationed in that temple- The Temple will be sealed up and only ocassionally some dwarves that have annoyed me will be dropped in. (Or, if Vampires can also create new ones on site i will drop the most worthy dwarves in.)

During times of war the temple will be opened and the Vampire squad marches forth, butchering my enemies.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 07:35:43 pm »

See, I'm hoping, first, to have a bunch of dead goblins at the entrance. Then I'm going to mod vampires to be tameable, and kept in cages just beyond the entrance. Then, when the goblin ambushes first arrive, they'll step on a pressure plate. The cages open and the tame vampires rush out, raising the dead goblins, which will attack the first things they see- the ambush.

The problem is getting the tame vampires back in their cages.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 08:13:03 pm »

I`m not exactly sure whether this would work, dhokarena. First, Vampires aren`t the ones that raise corpses. That are necromancers. Second, Vampires will be part of your civilization e.g normal dwarves that got infected during world gen.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 12:03:59 am »

Vampires count as people, so even if you could get a tameable tag onto them (which may or may not be possible, we don't know exactly what will be raw and what will be hardcoded) it would only fuck everything up.
First, Vampires aren`t the ones that raise corpses. That are necromancers.
While this is true, it's possible for one entity to be both a vampire and a necromancer. I think you have to be an adventurer to cause it to actually happen, though.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 01:36:02 am »

Vampires count as people, so even if you could get a tameable tag onto them (which may or may not be possible, we don't know exactly what will be raw and what will be hardcoded) it would only fuck everything up.
While this is true, it's possible for one entity to be both a vampire and a necromancer. I think you have to be an adventurer to cause it to actually happen, though.
I think a necromancer could be turned into a vampire, but I'm reasonably sure vampires live forever, so they wouldn't seek out immortality and thus necromancy.

So a necromancer can become a vampire, but not vice versa. :-\

Do you suppose necromancers will try to immigrate at any point?
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 09:10:18 am »

I think Necromancers leave their old civilization behind and thus won`t immigrate.

I wonder whether one could meet an Werebeast, Necromancer Vampire..

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 10:41:03 am »

So, we mod in breedable pet necromancers. Easy.

Only in Dwarf Fortress could you propose, nonironically, to mod in pet necromancers.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 12:41:24 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 01:15:06 pm »

Only in Dwarf Fortress could you propose, nonironically, to mod in pet necromancers.

DF players have done far stranger things, like breeding tentacle monsters or modding in various anatomically correct appendages and then ripping them off, only to pick them back up again for use as a club.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 03:18:38 pm »

I think a necromancer could be turned into a vampire, but I'm reasonably sure vampires live forever, so they wouldn't seek out immortality and thus necromancy.

So a necromancer can become a vampire, but not vice versa. :-\

Do you suppose necromancers will try to immigrate at any point?
The only methods Toady has mentioned of becoming a vampire in worldgen are profaning a temple and becoming one as punishment, or possibly as a reward, if you join a vampyric cult. Necromancers are too separate from society for either of those things.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 05:53:02 pm »

...No. Just no. Because the night belongs to lovers.

How did this fantastic post go unnoticed?

I for one would love to create a full-vampiric fort, with living prisoners kept as food.
<3
Pages: [1] 2