Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Is Toady adding too much?  (Read 7730 times)

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is Toady adding too much?
« on: November 01, 2011, 03:18:16 pm »

After 8 months of waiting for the new release I got a bit concerned with what's happening.
As you can see from the dev logs, every time some feature is fully finished, Toady decides to add another one, which results in the need of fixing the new one, and along the way he adds another. And another. And he has to fix it again. Then adds another one...

You see where I'm going with this? :\

Anyone else feels the same way as I do, that there's just too much being added instead of finishing up what's there?
I'm all in for new features, but please add them AFTER releasing a new version finally.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: Is Toady adding too much?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 03:26:41 pm »

I think he just wants to add in more features per release, not only to make them more interesting, but also to see how the features interact with each other and what bugs they generate so he has an easier time doing bugfixes, rather then releasing X features, fixing the bugs it creates, release Y feature, then having to fix the bugs it creates when interacting with X and the rest of the game, etc.
While this makes bugfixing take a long time, I think it makes things faster and easier to deal with in the long run, I think. Anyway I'm pretty ok with his current way of doing things.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 03:29:23 pm »

He is adding as much as he wants to add before release.  I am not sure there is any other way to look at it really, he will release the next version when he is satisfied with it's content.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 03:34:28 pm »

Great work can't be rushed? :)
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 03:35:57 pm »

Plus, I think it makes everything more interesting. Toady mentioned before he likes to add in features he and zach talk about as they start becoming viable, not only for the game and the community but for himself as well. Can't really argue with him there.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 03:45:23 pm »

I see you didn't understood what I meant  :-\

What I'm trying to tell is that he's going too far ahead with new content before getting what was planned done. The current version was supposed to be released around half a year ago, but Toady went on and kept on adding new stuff all the time, preventing the completion of it.

Just as it was recently, he was sorting out the last vampire related things, seemed to be the last thing before the release, but then he added the new crime system and the need to get rid of any kinks that came along with it, while probably adding once more something new and the need to fix it.

It's just common sense that he releases what's in as soon as possible, then begins the bug-fixing of those and FINALLY going back to new features, or otherwise he'll be buried under all that work, unable to complete anything.

I'm concerned that this might turn into a DNF rollercoaster, that's all.  ::)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 03:46:37 pm »

I might just concede that he's adding too much when I see some screenshots from his test forts, and in one of the announcement screens theres "Urist McToady cancels uploading game: Adding more features [x493]". :)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 04:00:28 pm »

I see you didn't understood what I meant  :-\

What I'm trying to tell is that he's going too far ahead with new content before getting what was planned done. The current version was supposed to be released around half a year ago, but Toady went on and kept on adding new stuff all the time, preventing the completion of it.

Just as it was recently, he was sorting out the last vampire related things, seemed to be the last thing before the release, but then he added the new crime system and the need to get rid of any kinks that came along with it, while probably adding once more something new and the need to fix it.

It's just common sense that he releases what's in as soon as possible, then begins the bug-fixing of those and FINALLY going back to new features, or otherwise he'll be buried under all that work, unable to complete anything.

I'm concerned that this might turn into a DNF rollercoaster, that's all.  ::)

︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

gamerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 04:04:17 pm »

Well, I don't think Toady is, the game has big plans of which he's only working on a small part right now, and new features need to be added if they interact with each other and benefit from being added in the same release. besides, it always takes many months for a new update, just wait, it's always worth it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 04:05:16 pm »

I don't really care about the feature creep, that's cool and all. I am a bit worried however that longer time between releases means less donations to Toady.
Love, scriver~

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 04:52:31 pm »

Despite the ages old "it's his project and only he calls the shots for it", I think he just wants to add as much of a certain aspect of gameplay as he can for this next release. Like if you're fixing undead, why not add mummies and vampires while you're at it? Oooh, what about making vampires able to appear in forts as migrants! But then you'd need some way to deal with them game mechanics-wise and not just locking a door and letting them starve... Oooh now I got it!

And so on.

It's sort of awesome to see how he works, sure the long dev-times can irk me(I haven't been able to play DF in months, have a succession game planned ALSO for months but we're waiting for the next version), but... Well, it's done when it's done. And it'll be amusing.

And weaponized by the end of the week.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 05:34:31 pm »

...You really don't know us very well, Ieb. I estimate 36 hours, tops.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 06:12:46 pm »

If I recall the 3rd dimension was weaponized within an hour of it's first release with the undermining and caving in of a populated human meeting hall.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 06:29:00 pm »

Too much? TOO MUCH? I won't be satisfied until every single aspect of the Dwarf Fortress Universe can be controlled down to the sub-atomic level.

And yes, I want pitchblende to be refine-able into weapons-grade uranium.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 06:31:12 pm »

What is interesting is Toady didn't even go all the way.

He is techically supposed to, later on, make Curses more procedural then they already are.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5