Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burrow interaction question  (Read 1478 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burrow interaction question
« on: November 18, 2011, 12:06:32 pm »

What happens if I have a dwarf assigned to burrow A, but then I set the civilian alert to restrict everyone to the non-overlapping burrow B?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Burrow interaction question
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 12:12:12 pm »

Civilian alerts override normal burrow assignments.  When the alert is active, he'll be limited to burrow B, and not restricted by burrow A at all.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 12:31:38 pm »

Civilian alerts override normal burrow assignments.  When the alert is active, he'll be limited to burrow B, and not restricted by burrow A at all.

Thank you sir!

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 12:47:33 pm »

There's no way of creating some kind of restrictive or exclusive burrow?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 01:11:32 pm »

There's no way of creating some kind of restrictive or exclusive burrow?
An anti-burrow?  ("All those so assigned, do not take any job[1] within this area!")  No.  You can only make 'inclusive' burrows, and (alerts aside, I must admit I've never used them) the sum total areas of all burrows a dwarf is assigned to is their stomping ground when it comes to finding things to take things from/take things to/do things with in.  Unless they aren't assigned to any burrows, in which case it's the entire accessible map.

(I'd rather like a "If other burrows are assigned, add this one, but don't bother otherwise" method, actually.  Easier than either adding in the relative sleeping/sustenance areas to each and every work-related burrow or setting up sleeping/sustenance burrows but also remembering to activate them/de-activate for dwarfs as I start adding them to other burrows/remove the, from their final work-burrow.  I could see it being a tag in the relevant assignment screen (usual enter to toggle, but another key used to qualify for such a "but only if...").  Either that or tag the whole burrow as such for everyone, but my original suggestion gives one a way to exert fine control (e.g. keeping some workers only in their workshop areas, dissuading them from seeking sustenance while an emergency job needs doing), and there's plenty of unused space/key-bindings in the burrow-assignment screen.  It would also allow such anti-burrow assignments as I think are being asked about.)

[1] Noting that burrows only affect job end-points, not any desired traversal between them.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 03:19:28 pm »

It's not hard to make a burrow that covers everything, then remove some areas from it. You can just hold '<' until you are at the top of the map, then move to one corner and hit enter. Then hit '>' until you are at the bottom level, move to the opposite corner and hit enter again. Now you have a burrow that covers the entire embark. Now hit 'r' and start defining rectangles that are not in your burrow. You now have a burrow that only keeps dwarves from using stuff in those areas.

Note that they might still pass through those areas on the way to get to things or places that they are allowed to. A burrow doesn't say "stay only in this area". A burrow says "only use items in this area and only do jobs in this area". But a dwarf will freely leave a burrow if that's what is needed to get to an item or place that is in another part of the burrow.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 03:46:44 pm »

is beekeeping bugged for burrows? several times i had a beekeeper walk out of the fort during an attack to collect a colony. In fact, they seem to prefer to get a new colony instead of splitting the one right next to it
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 06:47:19 pm »

is beekeeping bugged for burrows? several times i had a beekeeper walk out of the fort during an attack to collect a colony. In fact, they seem to prefer to get a new colony instead of splitting the one right next to it
Beekeeping is sort of overally bugged at the moment. There are several problems with it right now, so this could be a potentially known bug.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.