Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: exploit list plz  (Read 17159 times)

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
Re: exploit list plz
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 04:41:50 pm »

Heck, what about firing a stack of bolts, melting them down individually, and then ending up with more metal than you started with?

Yeah, I forgot about that. I never set up a bolt collection system because the effort would keep me from other more pressing matters, but this is definitely a useful exploit when spoiler metals are concerned.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 04:43:05 pm »

Heck, what about firing a stack of bolts, melting them down individually, and then ending up with more metal than you started with?

Yeah, I forgot about that. I never set up a bolt collection system because the effort would keep me from other more pressing matters, but this is definitely a useful exploit when spoiler metals are concerned.

I'm fairly certain you can't do that anymore.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 04:52:53 pm »

As far as I know, there's still a 0.1 bar minimum return on melted items. Individual bolts are certainly still meltable.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2011, 04:00:32 pm »

As far as I know, there's still a 0.1 bar minimum return on melted items. Individual bolts are certainly still meltable.

If that's the case then I suppose you can exploit it after all. Unless you have a magma smelter it really doesn't sound worth it though.
I have an art blog now.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2011, 02:44:25 pm »

ya
 i still need to figure out how to make a magma smelter
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2011, 09:39:31 pm »

not murdering elves on sight,
I never murder elves on sight.  I let them get to the trade depot first.  It's much closer to the butcher shop.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2011, 10:49:35 pm »

not murdering elves on sight,
I never murder elves on sight.  I let them get to the trade depot first.  It's much closer to the butcher shop.

damn man thats so harsh its funny

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2011, 12:39:31 am »

"Out and Out Exploits" (these are things that clearly aren't functioning properly but can be used to your benefit)

-Danger rooms (You can train up a squad to legendary absurdly quickly with virtually no risk.
-Quantum Stockpile (Endless storage in one square)
-Atom Smasher (crush nearly anything to dust, though it can be useful to help mitigate FPS a little)
-Stealing from Caravans (only an exploit in that there isn't any real notable punishment for doing so right now, so far as I can tell)

"Things that aren't exploits but are far overpowered"

-Dodge traps (make a one space wide hallway with pits on each side and fire at enemies = win)
-Endless hallway of traps (not a bad thing really but given how easy it is to build traps its overpowered)
-Cage traps (seriously, capture just about anything in a wooden cage and keep it there forever)
-Walls + Drawbridge (keeps out 99% of enemies that you can just plink away at with bolts until they leave)
-Magma (Now that you can get it very easily in any map its a bit overdone, IMO, you can infinitely power forges to make metal objects with no cost)
-Steel (granted its a bit hard to get depending on where you are but once you have it short of 'digging too deep' you basically win
-Farms (I hesitated to put this one up cause technically they are pretty overpowered, one good sized farm will feed just a huge amount of dwarves and requires very little work to build or keep going.. That said depending on where you are getting food elsewhere may be extremely difficult to impossible so you don't always have another choice)

I'm sure there are others.

So far as I know nobody really cares which of these you use though since its a single player game without a score or anything.  I mean if you break them all out you certainly aren't offering yourself much of a challenge but why anybody else would care is beyond me.  I feel about the same as I feel about "God Mode" cheats in single player games, I would never do it cause to me the challenge is the point, but if others do more power (literally in some cases) to them.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2011, 02:12:19 am »

In certain cases, the 'exploits' might actually be necessary. Like the quantum dump. I wouldn't advocate dumping materials on every workshop you've got, but when you can tell your smiths exactly which toys to stud with lead, generally those belonging to the baron's child, you've got something going for you.

Nevermind the siegers; if your methods damage the narrative you construct through playing DF, you've lost.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2011, 02:23:25 am »

"Out and Out Exploits" (these are things that clearly aren't functioning properly but can be used to your benefit)

-Danger rooms (You can train up a squad to legendary absurdly quickly with virtually no risk.
-Quantum Stockpile (Endless storage in one square)
-Atom Smasher (crush nearly anything to dust, though it can be useful to help mitigate FPS a little)
-Stealing from Caravans (only an exploit in that there isn't any real notable punishment for doing so right now, so far as I can tell)

"Things that aren't exploits but are far overpowered"

-Dodge traps (make a one space wide hallway with pits on each side and fire at enemies = win)
-Endless hallway of traps (not a bad thing really but given how easy it is to build traps its overpowered)
-Cage traps (seriously, capture just about anything in a wooden cage and keep it there forever)
-Walls + Drawbridge (keeps out 99% of enemies that you can just plink away at with bolts until they leave)
-Magma (Now that you can get it very easily in any map its a bit overdone, IMO, you can infinitely power forges to make metal objects with no cost)
-Steel (granted its a bit hard to get depending on where you are but once you have it short of 'digging too deep' you basically win
-Farms (I hesitated to put this one up cause technically they are pretty overpowered, one good sized farm will feed just a huge amount of dwarves and requires very little work to build or keep going.. That said depending on where you are getting food elsewhere may be extremely difficult to impossible so you don't always have another choice)

I'm sure there are others.

So far as I know nobody really cares which of these you use though since its a single player game without a score or anything.  I mean if you break them all out you certainly aren't offering yourself much of a challenge but why anybody else would care is beyond me.  I feel about the same as I feel about "God Mode" cheats in single player games, I would never do it cause to me the challenge is the point, but if others do more power (literally in some cases) to them.

u forgot the dwarvine reactor. water weals power pump and pump pwers water weel with a gain in power (perpetual motion

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2011, 02:27:54 am »

Let's see... I don't consider danger rooms an exploit. Without extremely close monitoring my dwarves never seem to get too high in skills in the military, and the danger of executing even unarmed enemies makes it too much.

If I could fight broomsticks for three hours and be filled with arcane knowledge of weaponry, I would choose that over potential serious injury, in-fight training or going *swoosh* in the air with my sword against nothing (individual combat drill).

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2011, 03:00:42 am »

Don't forget, Therapist calls us a dirty cheaters for allowing labor setting on children and nobles. 

I am not quite sure how that is any more of a cheat than setting it on normal laborers, tho.  That's one I always wanted to ask for an explanation for but was to shy to. 

Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2011, 05:24:10 am »

Don't forget, Therapist calls us a dirty cheaters for allowing labor setting on children and nobles. 

I am not quite sure how that is any more of a cheat than setting it on normal laborers, tho.  That's one I always wanted to ask for an explanation for but was to shy to. 

Knutor

really?
 well it's because there's an in-game way to give them jobs while there isn't one for children and nobles.
 giving laborers jobs with therapist is just to "make a feature easier" while giving children and nobles jobs is to "make a new feature all together" .. which is cheating
I have an art blog now.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2011, 05:40:29 am »

A small simple exploity bug -

Take wooden training axes at embark, you can use these cheap things to cut down trees for wood and are much cheaper than the real thing.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2011, 01:18:24 pm »

A small simple exploity bug -

Take wooden training axes at embark, you can use these cheap things to cut down trees for wood and are much cheaper than the real thing.

sweet!!!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6