Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: exploit list plz  (Read 16983 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
exploit list plz
« on: November 01, 2011, 06:31:26 pm »

what are all the known(publicly frowned apon) exploits. i'd like to know them all. so that i don't do them
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
Re: exploit list plz
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 06:46:30 pm »

Well the main ones I know about are quantum stockpiling and the danger room.
Quantum stockpiling is where you designate large amounts of stone to be dumped to a single garbage tile right next to your mason/craftdwarf/mechanic/whatever and reclaim what's placed there so that your dwarf will have a large supply of raw materials only a square of two from his workshop.  Not sure how publicly frowned upon it is though.
Danger rooms consist of a room covered in upright spike traps all connected to the same lever, the lever is set to repeat and your military trains in that room gaining weapon xp by parrying, shield xp by blocking, etc at insane rates.  Minimum danger uses singe training spears in each traps and can get your dwarves to legendary+5 shield in a season easily with weapon and other skills following soon after as long as you keep track of their equipment and remove what they've mastered.  This one is generally frowned upon because it makes creating a massive army capable of annihilating anything that stands in your way pretty easy.
Dwarven atom smashes might count when used as weapons due to how efficient they are at killing most enemies you'll face but their uselessness against large enemies keeps them from being seen as too exploity in combat.
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

Myrmec

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing the [z]tock market
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 06:54:01 pm »

Bah, danger rooms are not an exploit if my fully trained squad decked out in full adamantium is wiped out in under 10 seconds when breaching "spoilertown"

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 07:01:54 pm »

The danger room and quantum stockpiles aren't really "publicly frowned upon," either.

The general opinion of the forums is that, as it's a single-player game, what you choose to use is your business. While some may feel defending your fort with a deep field of weapon or cage traps, not murdering elves on sight, or defeating the circus via a field of repeating spikes is less epic than the alternatives, none of those is really frowned upon.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 07:09:14 pm »

well i thought of a good exploit i call it the CAVE of FALL

looks like this for side view                                   

floor  bridge  floor   bridge  floor  bridge       z lvl 10
walls  hole    walls   hole     walls hole          z lvl 9
walls  bridge walls  bridge walls bridge         z lvl 8
walls  hole    walls  hole    walls hole            z lvl 7
walls  bridge walls  bridge walls hole            z lvl 6

HHHH ooooooooo lllllllll eeeeeeee                 z lvls 5-2

FFFFFFLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOORRREEE             z lvl 1

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 07:36:11 pm »

Not much of an exploit. It's a simple drop-trap, with all the weaknesses that implies. In particular, using bridges means there's a significant delay between triggering the trap and when the drop actually occurs, and it won't work on creatures that are too big. Replacing them with hatches lacks the delay, but is vulnerable to building destroyers. Drop or pitfall traps are a standard category of architecture trap and many people build them.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 07:40:44 pm »

Exploit? Around here it's called a 'feature'.
Yes some may frown upon Atom Smashers, but I will continue to use them until the day it becomes obsolete.
Quantom stockpiling tough.. I am no big fan of that.. i only use dumping zones for smashing, getting rid of unwanted stuff.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 07:59:15 pm »

well ya i guess but i think its a good trap none the less. also i think that only flying building distoyers will break bridges. and also what about booze cooking?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 08:33:15 pm »

well ya i guess but i think its a good trap none the less. also i think that only flying building distoyers will break bridges. and also what about booze cooking?

Cooking booze is the best invention Dwarves ever made.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 08:33:35 pm »

Cooking booze is the best discovery Dwarves ever made.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 08:50:46 pm »

Cooking booze is the best invention Dwarves ever made.

love your photo. armstrong is the only man who can take his shirt off, twinke, and have a curly hair stiyle and still be manly

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 09:28:40 pm »

Hmm.. I messed up that quote?
Also.. Yes I completely agree.

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 09:46:05 pm »

Dwarves. They mince wine.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 11:14:15 pm »

Also I think this deserves mention as an exploit because it is something that is clearly not intended: Making bolts out of metal and then smelting them down will net you no loss of metal and can train a weaponsmith extremely quickly without wasting any metal.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 12:27:34 am »

Heck, what about firing a stack of bolts, melting them down individually, and then ending up with more metal than you started with?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6