Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: exploit list plz  (Read 16974 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: exploit list plz
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 03:09:24 am »

Something that is more of a curious bug is that some creatures can't eat fast enough to keep themselves alive, the most notable being elephants.

Heck, what about firing a stack of bolts, melting them down individually, and then ending up with more metal than you started with?

Hey, dwarves know their metals. Who are we simple humans to assume that a dorf can't get more steel from a stack of bolts than he used to make it in the first place?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 06:11:04 am »

if you start with a water buffalo, the kind thing is to slaughter it as soon as you can, instead of letting it slowly starve while eating
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 06:27:45 am »

well ya i guess but i think its a good trap none the less. also i think that only flying building distoyers will break bridges. and also what about booze cooking?

Cooking booze is the best invention Dwarves ever made.

THIS METHOD OF COOKING BOOZE HAS BEEN PASSED DOWN THROUGH THE ARMSTRONG FAMILY FOR GENERRAAAATTIONNSS
[Signature]

Mekboy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEGABEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 07:14:06 am »

There's the dwarven water reactor, where you have a pump powering, and powered by, two waterwheels, which generates power indefinately.
Quote from: CatalystParadox
Aw, Mekboy! A song for meeeee?
You're so sweet.  Why don't you just come in here so I can give you a hug.
... bring my pants.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
You seem to be under the illusion that we give a shit about what happens to dwarves who are too dumb to live.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 10:27:33 am »

I'd classify dodge traps as a potential exploit. Having a one tile wide walkway with a drop on either side. Lace the walkway with weapon traps or spikes set to repeat when a siege comes. The invaders will either die by spikes or dodge the spikes and in doing so jump off into the drop. The concept makes sense really, but the fact that a wooden spear and take out a bronze colossus in this way makes it a little overpowered. Granted it is dorfy enough to warrent it and it isn't exactly frowned upon, but it is similar to having a hallway full of cage traps take out a whole siege. The mental image of how it works is hilarious though.

Gobbo 1: "Look out fred! That stick's gonna poke ya in the balls!"
Fred the Gobbo: *jumps to certain doom*
Gobbo 1: "Phew, thought it was gonna hit him"
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 01:01:11 pm »

One could consider traps in general as an exploit. A hallway with several weapon traps is an irresistible lure for goblin after goblin.

Stozu: "I'm gonna go through this hallway into the fortress" Runs down hallway, is sliced and diced by a trap full of large, serrated glass discs.
Ngebzo: "Hah! what an idiot! Watch me guys, I'll show you how to do it." Runs down hallway, is sliced and diced by a trap full of large, serrated glass discs.
Usbu: "Ngebzo always was an idiot. This is how it's done!" Runs down hallway, is sliced and diced by a trap full of large, serrated glass discs.
Stosbub: "I'm sure I can do better than those guys!" Runs down hallway, is sliced and diced by a trap full of large, serrated glass discs.
Ngom: "My turn!" Runs down hallway, is sliced and diced by a trap full of large, serrated glass discs.

Some people just don't learn. 

There are currently lots of things in DF that are unbalanced in ways that make it hard to tell what is an exploit and what isn't. Having one trap with a single copper axe in your entrance certainly isn't. But having a hallway with 50 traps, each having 10 steel discs makes sieges into non-events. You might as well set [INVADERS:NO] in d_init.txt. Well, the trap hallway doesn't keep ambushers from killing wood haulers. But it will provide an endless stream of used troll fur thongs that can be used to buy out every caravan that comes along.

There are plenty of gray areas like this, where a little use of something is fine, but it's not at all hard to do it so much that it makes things trivial. Rock mugs area great way to provide some initial trade goods when you first start a fortress. But the raw material is essentially free (you actually want to get rid of it to keep FPS down), and once your stonecrafter gains a bit of experience you can easily use them to buy every item from every caravan that comes your way. So when does it become an exploit? Every player has to decide for him/herself.

But I think danger rooms are definitely an exploit. I built one a few forts ago, using the design in Girlinhat's danger room thread. It took less than a minute, real time, for my dwarves to hit legendary fighter, and just another couple of minutes for them to be legendary in weapon, armor and shield as well. And I'm running on a laptop with just an Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 (Lenovo T61p), so it's not like I've got an amazingly fast machine. You might as well just use runesmith to raise their skills and attributes. I'm sorry, but standing in a room for a few days/weeks with a bunch of broomsticks repeatedly poking out of the same holes at you should not make you a legendary swordsman.

Right now many aspects of DF are not really balanced out yet, so it's possible to take things to extremes and break the game. They can be fun to play with, but they don't make you a good player. There's nothing wrong with a new player using a danger room to help him learn to use a military effectively. It's hard to learn how to control troops in cambat if they keep dying to quickly (as if one can really "control" dwarves once they see an enemy). But I'm not impressed by someone who brags about his 90 multi-legendary soldiers (who have never fought anything, having "learned" everything in a danger room), all equipped with candy armor/weapons (that he was able to get because he used dfreveal to find out exactly where it was safe to dig). There comes a time to take off the training wheels and really learn to ride.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 01:16:18 pm »

I'd just like to point out that just because Danger Rooms can be used in that way doesn't necessarily mean they have to be made that overpowered. Sure if you set them to a repeat lever you can nigh-instantly train your dwarves. However if you instead set it to something like a pressure plate placed in the entrance to your main dining room, it won't necessarily work that fast (I've had dwarves take several years to train to legendary before, well over the time it would take training on a live goblin) and I would no longer consider it an exploit.

The real point here is that though there are a lot of things in DF that can be used to make your fort overpowered (heck, you could even say the entire idea of farming is overpowered, since from one plump helmet you could technically grow enough food after a couple years to feed your entire fort with skilled growers), the only things that could technically be defined as an "exploit" are those that you decide to call exploits or those that Toady has explicitly stated to be a "bug".
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 01:52:12 pm »

Yeah, it is hard to decide what's a bug and what's a feature. I guess I like my Dwarf Fortress Fun, so I don't use sticks to poke my dwarves in the groin repeatedly until they can block twenty arrows from all directions at once. But yeah, until we get siege engineers who can make siege towers (to get over walls) and goblin mechanics who can disarm traps we're kind of on our own to decide the difficulty.

There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield; few if any methods are entirely looked down upon. Have fun, Fun, and ‼FUN‼ in your own style at your own pace.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 04:21:23 pm »

Something that is more of a curious bug is that some creatures can't eat fast enough to keep themselves alive, the most notable being elephants.

Heck, what about firing a stack of bolts, melting them down individually, and then ending up with more metal than you started with?

Hey, dwarves know their metals. Who are we simple humans to assume that a dorf can't get more steel from a stack of bolts than he used to make it in the first place?
law of preservtion of mass

im ok with danger rooms if your only intent is too kill every clown in HFS!!!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 04:30:10 pm by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 01:04:39 pm »

Law of preservation of mass...Law? My friend you have much to learn about DF hehe :) . As one of the above poster's said, just have fun. Most if not all my games are heavily modded...would it be considered "cheating"? maybe, but who cares i'm having the time of my life building huge elaborate Adamantine Fortresses lined with gold and platinum and tables, chests and cabinets out of platinum and chairs out of gold for all lol. I basically use only 3 metals in all my games, Gold, Platinum and the magic blue metal an infinite amount made right in my custom workshops haha ;-) Is the game still challenging? Hell Yes, depends on many variables, like embark location, what you decide to bring if anything at all etc etc... And since my fortresses are always worth Mega Millions and i keep the pop fairly high my sieges are insane lol. The game can be as hard or as easy as you want...or you might not even care about the rest of the game you might just like to build huge mega projects or whatever. The point is you can customize till your hearts content. I like it, whatever floats your boat just have fun doing it and you can't go wrong  :D. I actually stumbled upon this game almost 2 years ago while just browsing for old school ASCII games and i haven't looked back since. Its everything i was looking for and more with each release. I think my first quote by Piecewise describes it all haha.

On a side note, this forum is by far the best forum i have ever visited, the people are friendly and are always willing to help you out, and some of the post on here make me cry laughing, great bunch of guys/girls on here. I probably check it more then a few times a day, its all i do at work when it gets slow is browse the forums.

But then again, there is a good possibility i don't know what i'm talking about and could be just rambling on because i haven't slept at all.... either way GO DWARF FORTRESS :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 02:48:33 pm by TDSS02 »
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FQF
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 03:42:21 pm »

hole LAOGIC
$@##$BGRGF%%^&*#@R%%&I()?EQ>F#$W@$$%^Q

noap

noap

fail.

comencing blue screen

BLUE SCREEN HAS DONE ILLEGAL TASK
close out of blue screen now

i CANNNOT B WRONGEA

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 03:48:56 pm »

some may frown upon Atom Smashers,

I love atom smashers. Good lord where else would I put all junk? Unclaimed tattered socks? Wooden spears? Blood barrels? Cats? Seeds I don't want?

I'm not going to mark that junk for trading and try to pawn it off on some elf. I have quality goods to sell and I want quality goods in return. All the refuse goes into the garbage pit and when the FPS is being dragged down the garbage pit gets scouted for anything usable and the rest goes into the .. "trash compactor."

It's FUN because pets or children sometimes wander into the trash compactor at the wrong time. I can't imagine fortress life without them!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FQF
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 03:58:22 pm »

hole LAOGIC

noap

noap

fail.

comencing blue screen

i CANNNOT B WRONGEA

zer0 zer0

reboting. BLUESCREEN ZIP ZIP COMPUTE
111 01010 1011011001000101 010101001011 10110101101010 101010101000101 0100100100      1010100101010

nop scrweb blofen crizipen.         export universe to recycling bin illigal transmutation comenced.reason=  5 bolt =7   law refused compact [size=36pt]fail BLACK HOLE COMENCED[/size][/b]

log off rebot and delete all connected files to save multiverse data

00010101010000111110101001110100100101121010010100111010101010101001101010010101

generating random codes!!!!!!

rebuild universe 1.

all hail armok and his mighty computer.

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 03:59:06 pm »

I love atom smashers. Good lord where else would I put all junk? Unclaimed tattered socks? Wooden spears? Blood barrels? Cats? Seeds I don't want?

I agree, i have always used Atom Smashers for garbage, i guess there are other ways of disposing of things like utilizing magma to some degree but atom smashing is just easy and convenient. I always place mine directly in front of the main stairwell for fast garbage disposal. Works out pretty well early on when i mining out the fortress in cleaning up all the unused stone scattered everywhere.

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FQF
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 04:05:31 pm »

hole LAOGIC

noap

noap

fail.

comencing blue screen

i CANNNOT B WRONGEA

LOL that made my day
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6