Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just a little idea I had.  (Read 2244 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Just a little idea I had.
« on: October 13, 2011, 07:10:21 pm »

1. Make an issue concerning servitude. In C+ society, slavery is allowed under a different name, and freeing servants should be the same as stealing.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just a little idea I had.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 10:55:24 pm »

This is basically the labor/ worker rights issue already in place, what with the slaves at the CEO castle in C+ and all.

I don't think its a crime to free them, though, maybe they are debtors / indentured servants or some other thing, rather then actual property.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 03:44:13 am »

I think it'd be a nice touch to criminalize releasing of oppressed Liberals, as well as allowing it to affect the issues--so, releasing sweatshop workers should give you the "employing illegal immigrants" charge, and raise awareness for the Immigration issue. Similarly, releasing Slaves or Child Workers should affect Labor and give you criminal charges; Theft for slaves; Child Workers could give you Kidnapping charges... I mean, really, there should be some risk to picking up a bunch of kids and arming them with AK-47s and sending them to shoot up the police station.

It really does stand to reason that slaves, child workers, sweatshop workers, and possibly servants would be missed if you just up and recruited them; so that should affect the issues at least somewhat, and give you criminal charges if it's witnessed.

Recruited Slaves could even be given a criminal charge for being escaped slaves, the way illegal immigrants are wanted for deportation.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 03:48:18 am by Callista »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 08:40:25 am »

This is basically the labor/ worker rights issue already in place, what with the slaves at the CEO castle in C+ and all.

I don't think its a crime to free them, though, maybe they are debtors / indentured servants or some other thing, rather then actual property.

It is because C+ turns everyone into what is known as a "Wage Slave" in otherwords. They could leave anytime they wanted but stay because otherwise they would be on the streets (and then prompty killed). They likely earn money as well.

It isn't dirrect slavery

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 03:04:28 pm »

The only direct slavery is the Slaves you see in the CEO Castle. One would assume those are owned property. The rest, yeah, it's basically "workers have no rights".

Makes real-life conservative extremists look downright reasonable. But then, the LCS makes real-life liberal extremists look downright reasonable, too, so I'd say we're even.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 04:55:37 pm »

I think it'd be a nice touch to criminalize releasing of oppressed Liberals, as well as allowing it to affect the issues--so, releasing sweatshop workers should give you the "employing illegal immigrants" charge, and raise awareness for the Immigration issue. Similarly, releasing Slaves or Child Workers should affect Labor and give you criminal charges; Theft for slaves; Child Workers could give you Kidnapping charges... I mean, really, there should be some risk to picking up a bunch of kids and arming them with AK-47s and sending them to shoot up the police station.

It really does stand to reason that slaves, child workers, sweatshop workers, and possibly servants would be missed if you just up and recruited them; so that should affect the issues at least somewhat, and give you criminal charges if it's witnessed.

Recruited Slaves could even be given a criminal charge for being escaped slaves, the way illegal immigrants are wanted for deportation.

I like this idea and it does make sense. Child Workers should probably "wanted" as a runaway and be taken away permanently (taken into state custody, returned to parents, ect) if arrested, maybe unless they have a certain amount of juice and can be legally emancipated or something like that. Then again, with the labor laws maybe by joining the LCS, they'd just be considered to have found different employment, which is perfectly within their conservative rights to legally consent to their own commercial endeavors.

Not sure what the slaves really are, since slavery is technically unconstitutional and couldn't really be entirely legal. It'd make more sense if they were legally in some sort of court-enforced contract to resolve a debt with the CEO's corporation, as a flimsy legal justification for slavery, or because employment contracts would be serious business in C+ and perhaps it would be impossible to legally quit a job without the employer's consent. Maybe they could be wanted for "breach of contract" or "outstanding debt" or something to that effect if liberated and the liberating liberal might have "interference in interstate commerce" or something. Child Workers might get the same charges to simplify things.

Servants in more liberal statuses, I'm not sure, perhaps it's implied the CEO makes claims that there is silverware missing from the household or something and so liberated servants are always wanted for theft upon liberation.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 02:27:17 am »

Slavery and indentured servitude are illegal for private individuals but legal for the government (think prison labor).  And the government contracts out that labor sometimes.  So the chained servants in LCS are probably just a dystopian extension of that.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 05:09:09 am »

Slavery and indentured servitude are illegal for private individuals but legal for the government (think prison labor).  And the government contracts out that labor sometimes.  So the chained servants in LCS are probably just a dystopian extension of that.

Yeah I believe you are right. Debt bondage is covered under the 13th amendment as peonage and is also illegal. Penal labor is restricted in the US, only really done in military prisons, although it is allowed in the provisions of the 13th amendment.

So you are right, it would make more sense to imply a government backing or decision. Maybe its a court order/ alternative sentence to work off a debt or a settlement for a civil crime, or punishment for another crime for a period of time. Sorta like dystopian community service hours or dystopian probation.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:28:07 am by Montague »

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 04:47:04 pm »

So we're considering only things you could do without changing the constitution? Hmm...

Yeah, that takes some doing. The Constitution is a pretty comprehensive document, as these things go.

I'm just surprised there's not more gay-bashing at C+. You can drop a pickup line to a same-sex police officer in the presence of five of his buddies and still not get arrested... And the constitution doesn't specifically protect non-straight people. I'd imagine that at C or C+ you should rightly be unable to seduce same-sex people without alarming the Conservatives, unless that was the only person present and they accepted your pickup line.

But maybe that'd hit too close to home for some folks. I know--it's satire. But I think if it were me programming LCS, I'd probably shy away from it, at least to the extent of putting off doing anything with it until after I'd done funnier stuff; GLBT people have enough trouble in the real world without dwelling on it in a game.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 01:11:37 am »

It doesn't automatically lead to your arrest but it can lead to conservative alarm.  Sometimes they don't take you seriously or just don't care enough.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 09:36:30 pm »

That and also LCS is a world where everyone is extremely Bi-sexual (Omnisexual actually) to the point where the conservative ban on homosexuality doesn't make sense.

Among other things (For example everyone in LCS is extremely brave)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 09:38:36 pm by Neonivek »

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 02:08:55 pm »

I like this idea and it does make sense. Child Workers should probably "wanted" as a runaway and be taken away permanently (taken into state custody, returned to parents, ect) if arrested, maybe unless they have a certain amount of juice and can be legally emancipated or something like that. Then again, with the labor laws maybe by joining the LCS, they'd just be considered to have found different employment, which is perfectly within their conservative rights to legally consent to their own commercial endeavors.

If they were taken away, they could well take hits to Juice and heart, and gain Wisdom, due to being educated on how to behave.