Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: Zombie Survival (and QWOP!)  (Read 25771 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Survival
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2011, 01:42:41 pm »

Decided to make this, since the discussion was taking over the rage thread.

Discuss
Not read the Rage thread at all, but I'll say the same as I have in past discussions of this type.  I have some plans of what I'm going to do in case of zombie attack (or of aliens, Russians, Americans, southerners, strangely similar kids with strange eyes, creeping death, flying death, burrowing death, supernovae, supervillains, soup of the day shortages, other shortages, dwarfs, elves, kobolds, goblins, hiccups, adult acne and male patterned baldness), but if I tell anyone what they are and they end up being zombies (or aliens, Russians, Americans, etc...) then I've lost my advantage.

But feel free to talk amongst yourselves, so that my possible future zombie-self has a heads up, at least until the very next headshot.  I may well chip in if I've got comments, but you're not going to find my particular hidey-hole, thankyerverymuch!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2011, 01:50:56 pm »

Besides people, zombies wouldn't need to bite you, just get some blood on your body [hands, face, open wounds] and you'd be insta screwed.

[...]

*I also remembered something, the SAS is one of the, if not the best elite army force currently existing today, and they're trained to fight in close quarter environments, and are trained to kill with headshots. How are these guys not the perfect zombie kill squad?!!!

You pre-answered yourself.  Been dabbling with neutrinos at all, recently?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2011, 01:55:51 pm »

Guys, we should make a map showing all of the states where Bay12ers live. Then the people in those states will make a zombie survival plan, and then we would make a plan to meet up. Planning for apocalypses are fun!
I don't like in a state.  (Well, my Mum would disagree, but it's my house, and I know where most things are (until she pops by and decides to tidy up, or until I know she's popping by and tidy up myself to unsuccessfully avoid the former.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2011, 02:21:08 pm »

Easiest way to make progress is get on your knees and sort of scoot along, but it gets the hypothetical guy some pretty bad hypothetical scrapes.

Also, next version of QWOP needs to involve hurdles. Also also, there's a reason babies have such trouble walking.

Germane to the topic, basically, if a zombie is coordinated enough to actually walk and not walk around like the QWOP guy, water may not be enough.

If the zombies sink, then they can just walk around on the bottom.

Guys, a zombie needs it's brain to survive? No?

Then that means they also need a way to keep their energy levels up, which also means they need to breathe, so SULLY BOUSE but zombies would drown... In the sense that their brain would shut down from oxygen deprivation.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2011, 02:27:10 pm »

Easiest way to make progress is get on your knees and sort of scoot along, but it gets the hypothetical guy some pretty bad hypothetical scrapes.

Also, next version of QWOP needs to involve hurdles. Also also, there's a reason babies have such trouble walking.

Germane to the topic, basically, if a zombie is coordinated enough to actually walk and not walk around like the QWOP guy, water may not be enough.

Then that means they also need a way to keep their energy levels up, which also means they need to breathe, so SULLY BOUSE but zombies would drown... In the sense that their brain would shut down from oxygen deprivation.
Perhaps the virus makes the brain run without oxygen? It's not nearly as efficient, but it might still work. Cells can operate without oxygen, but they won't be able to use 100% of the sugar they get.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2011, 02:27:26 pm »

Maybe the brain isn't actually active, but is more of an ecosystem for a Zombie-inducing bacteria which is doing the real work, in which case oxygen deprivation might not be a huge deal. 

Or maybe they just go into hibernation until they get oxygen again.  Zombie biology is a mystery.   ???

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2011, 02:29:08 pm »

And of course, if it DOES need air, then we run into lighter-than-water scenarios, and thus the zombies FLOAT.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2011, 02:33:06 pm »

Perhaps the virus makes the brain run without oxygen? It's not nearly as efficient, but it might still work. Cells can operate without oxygen, but they won't be able to use 100% of the sugar they get.

Not to any reasonable degree.

But zombies are pretty much absurd if you try to think too much about how they work, so it's better to avoid doing that.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2011, 02:33:53 pm »

The Zombie cells could respirate anaerobically, producing large amounts of Lactic Acid....

Zombie spitter anyone?

Well anyhow, I guess we can assume the zombie apocalypse everyone is preparing for does not obey the current limitations of biology, so why can't we have zombies jumping 60 feet in the air whilst throwing concrete slabs at you?

Ladies and Gentlemen..... HUNTER TANKS!!!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2011, 02:44:34 pm »

The Zombie cells could respirate anaerobically, producing large amounts of Lactic Acid....

Zombie spitter anyone?

Well anyhow, I guess we can assume the zombie apocalypse everyone is preparing for does not obey the current limitations of biology, so why can't we have zombies jumping 60 feet in the air whilst throwing concrete slabs at you?

Ladies and Gentlemen..... HUNTER TANKS!!!
No, turning into a zombie will not turn you into a hulking mass of muscle the size of a car. However, you could produce lots of acid that forms into cysts. BOOMER!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2011, 02:57:20 pm »

Necro, making cysts of anything bar bodily fluids [which would probably kill you with haemorrhages], turning you into a zombie with the desire to eat brains and explode shit defies any logical and biological sense.

So if we're preparing for the ultimate OH MY GOD WTFZOMBIES!!!!111!!one!!! situation, we might as well Prepare for the worse OH MY GOD WTFZOMBIES!!!!111!!one!!! situation.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2011, 03:00:26 pm »

Necro, making cysts of anything bar bodily fluids [which would probably kill you with haemorrhages], turning you into a zombie with the desire to eat brains and explode shit defies any logical and biological sense.

So if we're preparing for the ultimate OH MY GOD WTFZOMBIES!!!!111!!one!!! situation, we might as well Prepare for the worse OH MY GOD WTFZOMBIES!!!!111!!one!!! situation.
You're arguing if exploding zombies that shoot acid make any sense at all.

On Bay12.

With Necro910.

LET THERE BE LAWLZ

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2011, 03:00:51 pm »

I've actually figured out how to make an actual upright run work... it's difficult, but I've managed to keep it up for a full 20 meters.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2011, 03:01:23 pm »

You're arguing if exploding zombies that shoot acid make any sense at all.

On Bay12.

With Necro910.

LET THERE BE LAWLZ

No, I'm saying if that's reasonable, my massive hunter tanks are :D

*The flying piece of muscle hits the survivor, breaking every bone in his body*

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2011, 03:07:47 pm »

I've actually figured out how to make an actual upright run work... it's difficult, but I've managed to keep it up for a full 20 meters.

Witchcraft!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16